How do I optimize boot time?

FineVisionz

I want to optimize my boot time to the fastest I possible can.  Something that I noticed was when I boot up, my screen will pause at the "starting windows" screen for about five seconds, then the four little dots will come out and create the logo.

I am running win 7 64x

CPU: AMD 6300

MOBO: M5A99FX PRO R2.0

SSD: PNY OPTIMA 240 gig  (running in AHCI mode)

I have also pretty much have tried doing everything in this list: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-tweak,2911.html

If you could please help, that would be great!

Go to RUN then type in msconfig, it will open up a windows with items in startup, disable everything you don't need. Also, there should be a tab with advanced settings, enable the OS to use ALL cores when starting up, that also cuts down on boot time. :)

Go to RUN then type in msconfig, it will open up a windows with items in startup, disable everything you don't need. Also, there should be a tab with advanced settings, enable the OS to use ALL cores when starting up, that also cuts down on boot time. :)

-Bogica, Thanks for the response, but that was one of the first things I tried! Haha, thanks anyway! :D

Why does this matter to you so much? (out of curiosity)

-CaffinatedBovine,  I really don't know.  I guess I just want to get the most out of my SSD.  Probably the 2nd or 3rd reason why I got an SSD, is to have really fast boot times.  So now, I just want to get the maximum boot speeds that I possibly can.

-CaffinatedBovine,  I really don't know.  I guess I just want to get the most out of my SSD.  Probably the 2nd or 3rd reason why I got an SSD, is to have really fast boot times.  So now, I just want to get the maximum boot speeds that I possibly can.

You should note that windows 8.1 once set up to boot directly into desktop mode boots MUCH faster than win 7. I used Win 7 Ultimate x64 on my SSD and it was fast. I got a free key from my college for Windows 8.1 Pro and it blew my mind how fast it booted.

You should note that windows 8.1 once set up to boot directly into desktop mode boots MUCH faster than win 7. I used Win 7 Ultimate x64 on my SSD and it was fast. I got a free key from my college for Windows 8.1 Pro and it blew my mind how fast it booted.

Yeah, I've heard that... Is there any deals for students, win7 owners, or anything in that nature?

Yeah, I've heard that... Is there any deals for students, win7 owners, or anything in that nature?

I'm an IT student and Microsoft has a student program in which you get almost all paid software for free, including PRO versions of their OS.

It's called Microsoft DreamSpark. You can register at

https://www.dreamspark.com/

I contacted my college to register me and they did within 2 days. There is a registration + confirmation period, but within 2 days I got registered. :)

RAID 0 firstly. SSD is normally fast and some manufacturers have a software to do trimming which improves flash memory e.t.c Give that a go to see if you can optimize your SSD. You can use autoruns from the sysinternals suit or CCleaner to limit the startup. Other than that. tweak the hell out of services to limit what starts up and what doesnt.

RAID 0 firstly. SSD is normally fast and some manufacturers have a software to do trimming which improves flash memory e.t.c Give that a go to see if you can optimize your SSD. You can use autoruns from the sysinternals suit or CCleaner to limit the startup. Other than that. tweak the hell out of services to limit what starts up and what doesnt.

I agree with some of your tips, however RAID shouldn't be done. The computer will take probably a couple more seconds to initialize the RAID which will actually add to the boot time. 

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

When I installed my motherboard, on 8-19-14 ( 2 days ago ) I did a clean install on windows, so my system is almost at its bear minimum.  With only 5 programs on it, non of which are being started up at the boot up.  

I would try to tweak my services, which I have.  I just hid all the Microsoft services and disabled all the others.  Other than that, I don't really know what Microsoft settings I should turn off without doing something I should have done.

RAID on a single disc, actually provides WORSE performance, since 1) the system now has to wait for the RAID controller to initialize before proceeding with boot, and 2) RAID is intended for more than 1 disc, and RAID 0, is essentially the default of having a single disc being written too

I would try to tweak my services, which I have.  I just hid all the Microsoft services and disabled all the others.  Other than that, I don't really know what Microsoft settings I should turn off without doing something I should have done.

That is basically all you can do. If all startup programs are off, and all non MS services are off, then you're at the fastest boot time you can have, since those are only going to kick in from logon screen and on. Prior to that, it's the SSD itself, and the Windows Boot Manager finding the Windows partition, and loading it. For super fast boot times, you'll want W8, and turn on Fast Boot, it kind of cheats as to how it boots, but it results in much, much faster boot times that can be almost instantaneous.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section