How to stream camera feed with ease

Go to solution Solved by G510Gamer,

i say get a camera with a HDMI output and get a capture card :/ thats all i can find 

So I am helping someone and they need to stream video that they capture with video camera. He was hoping to get a good setup with low cost. 

The one thing that is required is that the camera will be on a tripod and it can't have a lot of wires hanging off it. Because it will be used to stream concerts, and it will block someone's view and or someone will trip. So the camera on the tripod can't have wires.

The other thing is that for the setup to work, it needs wifi. And I don't know how to solve it, maybe with a USB dongle that has a SIM card in it and receives 3G and 4G (don't know the english word for it) and put it in a laptop?

He also would like to record the footage, I know that some streaming sites also record the footage and save it on their servers, but not all of them.

But does streaming from a camera need any extra CPU power or not? Streaming gameplay does, but I don't know about external input.

I am not good at streaming from an external source and doing it with the least amount of wires, so help me solve this.

Suggest some setups, explain me how the setup will work and also suggest some streaming sites.

Some things that I found:

I have researched and found a Livestream Broadcaster, that will sadly stream only to livestream.com and can be attached to the camera.

Also he himself found a wifi webcam, that can be used also. 

And another option was to have a normal camera (this camera has a wide lense and has good audio, would be perfect for concerts) and have it input to a tablet and stream from it, but I was uncertain if it had any apps for streaming and if it was possible.

E: End solution: Zoom Q4 -> HDMI cable -> Avermedia Live Gamer Portable -> USB cable -> laptop

That will deliver good sound and video quality without a lot of effort.

If anyone has questions to clarify the situation or something else, please ask. I really am not familiar with streaming so please do help.

Can you connect to the internet there? If so, bring a laptop along with OBS installed. Connect the camera and get it to input the video feed to the PC. Create a source for the camera on OBS. Then configure the settings for OBS to stream to a Twitch account. If people want to watch the concert you can post the link to the stream for them. :)

That would be the best way to do it. Either way, you'll need to have a decent upload speed of about 2000kbps to get a nice looking 720p 30fps stream.

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

i say get a camera with a HDMI output and get a capture card :/ thats all i can find 

Can you connect to the internet there? If so, bring a laptop along with OBS installed. Connect the camera and get it to input the video feed to the PC. Create a source for the camera on OBS. Then configure the settings for OBS to stream to a Twitch account. If people want to watch the concert you can post the link to the stream for them. :)

That would be the best way to do it. Either way, you'll need to have a decent upload speed of about 2000kbps to get a nice looking 720p 30fps stream.

Well, in the house there are ethernet ports, but in the hall, where the streaming will happen, there aren't, so that is why I mentioned the USB dongle thing "internet stick" as we call it in Estonia.

His main request was not to have any cables lying around, so are there any ways to connect the camera and the laptop wirelessly? Now when I think of it, only thing that comes to mind is that wifi is needed then.

Also, will OBS consume a lot of CPU power when it comes from external source? I know that streaming gameplay is CPU intensive, but what about the camera feed?

How can the capture card stream video?

Well, in the house there are ethernet ports, but in the hall, where the streaming will happen, there aren't, so that is why I mentioned the USB dongle thing "internet stick" as we call it in Estonia.

His main request was not to have any cables lying around, so are there any ways to connect the camera and the laptop wirelessly? Now when I think of it, only thing that comes to mind is that wifi is needed then.

Also, will OBS consume a lot of CPU power when it comes from external source? I know that streaming gameplay is CPU intensive, but what about the camera feed?

You can connect the laptop wirelessly to a router if you like, but the connection might not be as reliable. It's dependent on the laptop you have. If it's ancient it might have some trouble encoding the video, but you're not playing games at the same time, like most people do when they stream, so you should be okay. The camera feed will not use much power at all - it will be similar to watching footage at the resolution you're streaming at.

I think the best thing for you to do would be to do a test run before the event and check if it works. It should only take 10 minutes to set everything up. :)

Edit: It's unlikely that the laptop will accept a video feed from the camera if it isn't plugged in directly. Besides if you think the cable could be a hazard, I'm sure you can tape it down or simply put a sign nearby telling people to watch out for it.

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

You can connect the laptop wirelessly to a router if you like, but the connection might not be as reliable. It's dependent on the laptop you have. If it's ancient it might have some trouble encoding the video, but you're not playing games at the same time, like most people do when they stream, so you should be okay. The camera feed will not use much power at all - it will be similar to watching footage at the resolution you're streaming at.

I think the best thing for you to do would be to do a test run before the event and check if it works. It should only take 10 minutes to set everything up. :)

Edit: It's unlikely that the laptop will accept a video feed from the camera if it isn't plugged in directly. Besides if you think the cable could be a hazard, I'm sure you can tape it down or simply put a sign nearby telling people to watch out for it.

Well, he has a laptop and a router with a 802.11 g standard, and I googled it and the speeds seem fine.

You are right on doing a test run before the event. Maybe should even test it at home and see if it works.

Well, yeah, the best quality comes with a wire. Other option was a wifi webcam, that you previously pair with a PC and then in one wifi network it will stream the webcam feed to the laptop. But the webcam doesn't have much of an quality video and audio.

But again, I understand that he wants a wireless option, because, the hdmi cable has to be long, from about the middle of the hall, to a corner or something, so it wouldn't interrupt anyone's view or take any seats away.

Well, he has a laptop and a router with a 802.11 g standard, and I googled it and the speeds seem fine.

You are right on doing a test run before the event. Maybe should even test it at home and see if it works.

Well, yeah, the best quality comes with a wire. Other option was a wifi webcam, that you previously pair with a PC and then in one wifi network it will stream the webcam feed to the laptop. But the webcam doesn't have much of an quality video and audio.

But again, I understand that he wants a wireless option, because, the hdmi cable has to be long, from about the middle of the hall, to a corner or something, so it wouldn't interrupt anyone's view or take any seats away.

That webcam might be okay, obviously it's dependent on the kind of quality you want from your stream. Also it may not be the best option as by connecting to the router you will be using both upload and download bandwidth to send video to the router then download it to the laptop, then reupload it to the internet. That might be a problem if the router is old/not enthusiast grade.

Also if you're not sure how to do it, you can find a guide on how to set up the camera with OBS by clicking the game capture guide link in my signature :)

any AverMedia card will steam

That webcam might be okay, obviously it's dependent on the kind of quality you want from your stream. Also it may not be the best option as by connecting to the router you will be using both upload and download bandwidth to send video to the router then download it to the laptop, then reupload it to the internet. That might be a problem if the router is old/not enthusiast grade.

Also if you're not sure how to do it, you can find a guide on how to set up the camera with OBS by clicking the game capture guide link in my signature :)

But do you know any good ways to connect the laptop and camera wirelessly?? That is the main concern.

Yeah, it might be quite demanding for the router. But as you said, better test the setup before any streaming.

Thank you for the guide, but is OBS the only program to stream with or is it just the best program for that?

any AverMedia card will steam

How the Avermedia card will connect to the camera and to the laptop? That is also what I need to know, as I am not good at this.

But do you know any good ways to connect the laptop and camera wirelessly?? That is the main concern.

Yeah, it might be quite demanding for the router. But as you said, better test the setup before any streaming.

Thank you for the guide, but is OBS the only program to stream with or is it just the best program for that?

How the Avermedia card will connect to the camera and to the laptop? That is also what I need to know, as I am not good at this.

a USB port..... and a HDMI port... your not very tech savvy are you. and no there is no way for the camera to connect wirelessly. OBS is the best streaming software period 

a USB port..... and a HDMI port... your not very tech savvy are you. and no there is no way for the camera to connect wirelessly. OBS is the best streaming software period 

Well, that means that the request for the least amount of cables isn't fulfilled, even easier would be to just connect the camera with laptop. Why to buy a capture card?

What capture card are you exactly talking about?

I feel offended about your saying that I am not tech savvy (I just don't know about this topic), I just really hoped that you read the post I made and understood that it is needed the least amount of cables. The capture card makes some more. It might take some load off a laptop, but that isn't a problem.

Well, that means that the request for the least amount of cables isn't fulfilled, even easier would be to just connect the camera with laptop. Why to buy a capture card?

What capture card are you exactly talking about?

I feel offended about your saying that I am not tech savvy (I just don't know about this topic), I just really hoped that you read the post I made and understood that it is needed the least amount of cables. The capture card makes some more. It might take some load off a laptop, but that isn't a problem.

OK, this one is tricky...

Does your camera allow live video capture over usb? That is the first important question. If it does, you need no capture card. If not, does it do that via HDMI? Then the aforementioned AverMedia Capture card would do the job. All these question are the primary concern.

EDIT: What kind of laptop are we talking about. The requirements for streaming video from a camera and streaming games is the same (obviously you don't have to run the game so really that should not be too demanding if you have a recent laptop...)

802.11g is too slow for anything data heavy sorry, especially what you're trying to do I think. You can try if we find a solution. What resolution are we talking about? It is best if you answer these questions first so that we can help you further.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Does your camera allow live video capture over usb? That is the first important question. If it does, you need no capture card. If not, does it do that via HDMI? Then the aforementioned AverMedia Capture card would do the job. All these question are the primary concern.

EDIT: What kind of laptop are we talking about. The requirements for streaming video from a camera and streaming games is the same (obviously you don't have to run the game so really that should not be too demanding if you have a recent laptop...)

802.11g is too slow for anything data heavy sorry, especially what you're trying to do I think. You can try if we find a solution. What resolution are we talking about? It is best if you answer these questions first so that we can help you further.

wait dont most laptops have a face cam theese days? that answers the question then 

wait dont most laptops have a face cam theese days? that answers the question then 

Great...These usually suck, especially at focussing on anything far.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Great...These usually suck, especially at focussing on anything far.

your usaly 3 Cm away from your laptop anyway so you can put it becide your desk and stream using both computers or alternatively just get a logitech c920 or a TV cam HD that will work wonderfully 

your usaly 3 Cm away from your laptop anyway so you can put it becide your desk and stream using both computers or alternatively just get a logitech c920 or a TV cam HD that will work wonderfully 

Dude...did you even read the OP's post :D

Dude...did you even read the OP's post :D

then he should get a mid range webcam or a budget webcam

Over the hdmi for sure, don't know about USB.

Well, he has I think a intel core 2 duo and other one i5 (old generation).

Well, as it will be concert, 720p or 1080p, no less, but the camera, Zoom Q4, that he was thinking of buying, has a really good audio, that will increase data being sent and might be yeah too much for the router.

then he should get a mid range webcam or a budget webcam

the sentence to have it low cost, is meant as not to spend like 1000€ and buy everything new for it, but to use as much of the equipment he has already and buy the rest.

@-Veteran007- The AverMedia Gamer Portable Capture Device should do and is around $150. I'd imagine, you could get it around 100-150€. As for the wireless, I doubt that this is possible. Can you not have the computer on a small table next to it or something and then secure the whole area somehow?

Over the hdmi for sure, don't know about USB.

Well, he has I think a intel core 2 duo and other one i5 (old generation).

Well, as it will be concert, 720p or 1080p, no less, but the camera, Zoom Q4, that he was thinking of buying, has a really good audio, that will increase data being sent and might be yeah too much for the router.

the sentence to have it low cost, is meant as not to spend like 1000€ and buy everything new for it, but to use as much of the equipment he has already and buy the rest.

its almost imposible to do what you want without a new webcam..... its a very dificult topic to discribe with so little information to what he has and what he can afford or cant afford and the avermedia capturecard is going to do what you want to do with extra uses that you might not find useful now but it will become useful, and it is hard to get a webcam that delivers good video quality at a low cost 

Yeah, I think you can forget about the wireless setup, I am sorry. It is just not something that works...

@-Veteran007- The AverMedia Gamer Portable Capture Device should do and is around $150. I'd imagine, you could get it around 100-150€. As for the wireless, I doubt that this is possible. Can you not have the computer on a small table next to it or something and then secure the whole area somehow?

I talked about it with him. He was interested in the capture card, as it can also record on an SD card.

He said that a small table might be possible, but he can't be certain that it will be always possible. That is why he was interested on doing it wirelessly, so he can do it like that every time for sure.

He understood that wirelessly it is impossible to do without losing quality. So he agreed to use the HDMI cable to connect it to the laptop.

Other problem he himself has to solve is to have a wifi there or ethernet cable.

its almost imposible to do what you want without a new webcam..... its a very dificult topic to discribe with so little information to what he has and what he can afford or cant afford and the avermedia capturecard is going to do what you want to do with extra uses that you might not find useful now but it will become useful, and it is hard to get a webcam that delivers good video quality at a low cost 

He is interested on buying the Zoom Q4 as it delivers good sound quality(stereo, bitrate, frequenzy options) and has wide lense. He was given to test it. He liked it. It is about 300€

Yeah, I think you can forget about the wireless setup, I am sorry. It is just not something that works...

Yeah, forgotten already.

I talked about it with him. He was interested in the capture card, as it can also record on an SD card.

He said that a small table might be possible, but he can't be certain that it will be always possible. That is why he was interested on doing it wirelessly, so he can do it like that every time for sure.

He understood that wirelessly it is impossible to do without losing quality. So he agreed to use the HDMI cable to connect it to the laptop.

Other problem he himself has to solve is to have a wifi there or ethernet cable.

He is interested on buying the Zoom Q4 as it delivers good sound quality(stereo, bitrate, frequenzy options) and has wide lense. He was given to test it. He liked it. It is about 300€

Yeah, forgotten already.

ok one, a webcams microphone is usaly shit so hes better off getting a headset with a microphone or get something like a blue snowball or a blue yeti, ethernet is better over wifi anyday (get a gigabit switch or a gigabit router and use CAT6) if your friend agrees to using a HDMI cable and a SD card then it is almost a simple thing a capture card is what you want, to be specific the AverMedia Game Capture Portable is basicly what you want square and sharp! it uses a HDMI passthrough and the data that has been captured is transfered to the USB cable and theres a SD card so he can record it to a SD card aswell as using it as his webcam footage for his youtube channel or something elce but yeah the AverMedia Portable  Capture Card is what you want period  

got that bloody right, its posible to get a wireless encoder with a HDMI port input and a wireless decoder with a HDMI output but thats really expencive and doesnt deliver good quality so thats out the window and it has some latency to it so if you can sync it then it is a posibilaty that it is the wireless solution that he wants