Win8 admin account disabled?

joenewbie

A friend of mine brought me his All in one PC to figure out why suddenly his password wasn't working.  He has a named user account, so I tried Offline NT Password and Registry Editor to reset it. 

After several attempts which were unsuccessful I pulled up the administrator user profile only to discover that it was disabled.  I enabled it, and was able to log him on.   

But I'm curious if anyone knows, how in the hell does the admin account disable itself?  My friend's level of tech savvy is absolutely nil, I'm no I.T. person myself but I know enough to not disable the admin account. 

I've run anti-virus/anti-malware, couldn't find anything wrong.  So I'm stumped as to the cause.  The solution has already been worked out, but if he comes to me again next week with the same problem I'd like to have an idea as to what would cause such a thing. 

Apparently it is possible. Wasn't quite expecting that tbh lol.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Just type in CMD "net user administrator /active:yes" and you have access to it.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

You enabled the internal administrator account, by default it is disabled for security purpose. Log in to the administrator account and create a new individual account with admin rights, then disable the administrator account.

Don't let Administrator be enabled, if you care about security!

If the admin account being disabled wasn't the problem then I'm having a hard time figuring out what changed his password.   I've since removed all passwords to access his account, he only does a few things on the computer in his own house with nobody else having access anyway.   I already created a new user for him but didn't know about disabling the administrator again.   It's done now. 

I'm just baffled how he suddenly lost access to the computer.  I mean I set his password for him, he used it for a while, no problems, suddenly it stopped letting him log in to his computer.  Just straight up didn't recognize his password.  *shrug*  Just don't know how this happened.  I hate mysteries like this.