PC will not show up on display.

Skcorpion86

So I just recently completed my build and I installed windows 8.1 and sometimes the PC boots up without showing anything on the display. The PC works in its current state because I've installed many programs to it and haven even played games on it. But sometimes the PC will not boot with anything on the display. Not sure what is causing this because sometimes it does boot fine.

what it does is just gives me a black screen after the bios loads up. I see the motherboard manufacture logo on screen then after that I see the windows logo then it goes black. PC still running.

but what confuses me is that sometimes it works fine. It will boot up completely normal with the exact same settings and I can use if perfectly fine..

what could be the cause of this?

Been there before with my old rig, Old Coop. its sometimes problem with power cable or corrupted OS. if youre able to boot in BIOS but not load OS it may be because your OS is corrupted.

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Might be some read errors... Check your HDD/SSD...

how can I tell of its read errors? And how do I check my SSD? I just got the SSD so that could be a issue.

Been there before with my old rig, Old Coop. its sometimes problem with power cable or corrupted OS. if youre able to boot in BIOS but not load OS it may be because your OS is corrupted.

how can I tell if my os is corrupted? Also if it is corrupted do I just re install it or what? And what to look for with power cable. Are you talking about ones inside the case, or the one that okugs into the wall?

thanks for helping guys

how can I tell of its read errors? And how do I check my SSD? I just got the SSD so that could be a issue.

-snip-

Can you get into the command prompt using yor OS installer?

how can I tell if my os is corrupted? Also if it is corrupted do I just re install it or what? And what to look for with power cable. Are you talking about ones inside the case, or the one that okugs into the wall?

thanks for helping guys

Hmmm, reinstalling never hurts.. maybe... Power cable like loose Sata cables

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Can you get into the command prompt using yor OS installer?

idk. How do I get to that?

idk. How do I get to that?

Not sure how in windows 8, but in the windows 7 disk, there is a an option to repair your Windows installation. From there, you can access the recovery command prompt.

Use the following commands: (the words after '//' are my comments)

bcdeit | find "osdevice"      //This should output 'os device partition = C:' where C: can be any drive letterchkdsk C: /R                  //This will check the drive for errors and bad sectors and attempt to recover themBootrec                       //If all else fails. Do this before you try to reinstall

References:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-7-recovery-environment-command-prompt/

Again, this is what I used for Windows 7... There should be similarities in the steps for 8/8.1