Adnroid Tablet for Computer Illiterate Recommendations

DanTheMuffinMan

Hello Gents,

Looking for recommendations for a 7"-8" tablet as a gift for my computer illiterate mother. Right now the front-runner is the iPad Mini, but it now seems an SD Card slot is going to be a necessity.

Requirements:

• Available in Canada
  • ~$300 Budget
  • Must include a SD or Micro-SD Card Slot
  • 7" to 8.9" Screen size (7" preferred)
  • Android (the closer to stock, the better)
  • Wi-Fi (NOT 3G/LTE)

Used for:

• Mostly reading E-Books and Comics
  • Light web browsing
  • Youtube and Netflix

Would be nice:

• Stylus
  • Light-weight
  • 1080p+

I've been doing some research but Tablets really aren't my specialty, so I'm looking for recommendations from you guys. I've eliminated the Nexus and Kindle (no SD Card slots), the iPad Mini is still a contender but the no SD slot may kill it. The LG G Pad Google Play Edition looked like a winner, but apparently you can't get GPE stuff in Canada yet. The Tegra Note's looking pretty good, but I"m sure there's a lot out there I don't know about yet.

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

I'd go with Tegra.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Oh it's foru your mom... Yeah get the iPad mini retina for sure....

Interested in Business and Technology

I'd go with Tegra.

For his computer illiterate mom?

For his computer illiterate mom?

Every single android device starts lagging in a while. So more power.

Ipad mini is okay too though.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Every single android device starts lagging in a while. So more power.

Ipad mini is okay too though.

I'm very confused right now.

I'm very confused right now.

I just noticed a trend. They fly in the begginning and then you start installing apps and stuff and they slow down so much, so I recommend the newest most powerfu device.

Spoiler

I just noticed a trend. They fly in the begginning and then you start installing apps and stuff and they slow down so much, so I recommend the newest most powerfu device.

Ok... Have you tried rooting/ using Android Vanilla?

Anyway to the OP, just get her an iPad from the online apple store engraved by her name/best mom in the world or something like that.. Women love that kind of things especially moms..

And the ''Gift factor'' is higher with apple products for some reason i find...

Nexus 7 if you're willing to sacrifice the SD card slot?

CPU: i5 2500k @4.3GHz  |  Cooler: Corsair H100i | Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz | GPU: Asus DC2 GTX 570 | Mobo: Asus P8P67 EVO | Case: Corsair Carbide 500r | Boot Drive: 120GB OCZ Agility 3 | Games Drive: 2TB WD Green| OS: Windows 7/OSX Mavericks (Hackintosh) | Monitor: LG EA63V x2 Soundcard: Fiio E10 | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (browns) | Mouse: Corsair M40