visualization on pfsense box?

kainobean

ok so i made a beefy pfsense box a while back and so far its serving it purpose well. and the reason i made it so beefy was cuase i had planed on running a visualization server in the pfsense environment itself but i seem to have lost the link showing me how to do that and now i have gotten very lost. the box has more then enough resources for running a server on it but i just dont know how to use the vmtools package. like there is absolutely nothing in the ways of info on it other then how to install and check that its running. id wish i could use virtualbox since im most familiar with that and never used vmware before. if anyone has any idea on how to install say linux into my pfsense that be great if not ill just downgrade my pfsense box and make a separate pc to be a server outside of pfsense. id prefer both on the one box.

Just use proxmox or something as a hypervisor, then run pfsense and whatever else you want on the hypervisor. You can also install Cent OS or something like that and use KVM

I've had terrible luck running PFSense virtualized.

I would recommend running it on dedicated hardware.

I've had terrible luck running PFSense virtualized.

I would recommend running it on dedicated hardware.

Using virtualized NIC or passthrough ? 

I tried with virtualized and I don't have problem, maybe a little overhead but the setup worked fine.