DELL optiplex 780 $450 upgrade ?

sOltyIce

my dad gave me his old office computer(DELL OPTIPLEX 780 QUAD CORE)  and i've always wanted my own pc i just didn't were to start do i upgrade it or save up for later, it only has stock graphic card and 230w psu.

post-60656-0-36269200-1407415005.png

Save up for later. That system limits you in so many ways. If I remember correctly, even the PSU is proprietary so you cant really upgrade it without a  new board, also meaning new chip and even a new case, also new copy of windows. 

So you would be building a new system anyways.

my dad gave me his old office computer(DELL OPTIPLEX 780 QUAD CORE) and i've always wanted my own pc i just didn't were to start do i upgrade it or save up for later, it only has stock graphic card and 230w psu.

Contrary to what @Karumu has said, I'd save up. This is because you can't really upgrade the machine.

The Dell OptiPlex line is a workstation grade line which therefore uses some proprietary parts, including the PSU and motherboard. I don't know what form factor is yours because they came in four different sizes, but there's a chance that even upgrading the graphics card won't work unless you find a low form factor card (it won't fit).

Upgrading the PSU is definately a no-no as you won't find one that fits in the same space. Same thing with the motherboard. These systems were designed to be in a fleet where consistency across systems is required.

So to reiterate what I've already said, save up. Having said that though, these systems were built to last, and can last for ages if you look after it. I'm using an OptiPlex 745 myself, which is roughly 7 years old now, running Windows 8.1 Pro and still going strong.

Save up and build yourself something later down the road

You could buy a HD 7750 or a gtx 750 if it will fit, since they are able to run, I mean I know a 7750 will run on your system, since it runs on my 220W fine, 

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Contrary to what @Karumu has said, I'd save up. This is because you can't really upgrade the machine.

The Dell OptiPlex line is a workstation grade line which therefore uses some proprietary parts, including the PSU and motherboard. I don't know what form factor is yours because they came in four different sizes, but there's a chance that even upgrading the graphics card won't work unless you find a low form factor card (it won't fit).

Upgrading the PSU is definately a no-no as you won't find one that fits in the same space. Same thing with the motherboard. These systems were designed to be in a fleet where consistency across systems is required.

So to reiterate what I've already said, save up. Having said that though, these systems were built to last, and can last for ages if you look after it. I'm using an OptiPlex 745 myself, which is roughly 7 years old now, running Windows 8.1 Pro and still going strong.

well it's stuck at my house can i atleast buy something to give it a little boost

well it's stuck at my house can i atleast buy something to give it a little boost

You can throw in some RAM or replace the hard drive with a SSD.

The only upgrade that would be really worth it is getting more ram, other than that, you'd really want to start from scratch. It's a lot of proprietary stuff in there, so it'd be a nightmare to work with that

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it