Upcoming PC Upgrade Advice

Hi Team 

Bit of background, I usually do a complete inside upgrade every 2 years, and excitingly enough 2 years has come around and its time to go crazy. But for some reason its not as easy as in the past six years. 
So i have usually stuck to AMD for CPU's due to their price to performance, including motherboards. This time however having graduated and got a job it means i can spend a bit more.

So off i went doing my research on what to get and picked out some nice items. 

1. Asus Maximus VII Formula z97 $479
2. Intel Core i7-4790K - $402
3. Already have RAM :) $0
4. Going from GTX680sli to 1x or 2x GTX880 depending on price. When released. $???

(Prices in AU) 

So happy as i was i decided this will be great and then BAM... all dreams shattered because of DDR4...

SO... my question is should i wait for the z99 line of motherboards, buy DDR4 ram, and devils canyon ?
or buy the current z97 setup

Appreciate all help :) 

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Heres Tom with the Weather.” - Bill Hicks

I think z97 will be released in fall, get a i5 4690k if you're just gaming, i7 for photoshop or rendering or 3d modeling. I suggest wait until the gtx 800 series comes out so you know what to chose.   

@PatarNoster

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

waiting on the X99 systems for multi-GPU (3+ or more), need 128GB RAM,

$500+ for CPU for professional needs application usage?

needs were not expressed in the OP, but pretty much if looking to X99, you'll

need longer than 2years to wrangle the best out of the X99 chipset.

easiest would be Z87/97 on i5 (gaming) i7 (productivity) and look forward

to Skylake in 2years. plus you'll have a half-step of the Broadwell series.

I think z97 will be released in fall, get a i5 4690k if you're just gaming, i7 for photoshop or rendering or 3d modeling. I suggest wait until the gtx 800 series comes out so you know what to chose.

I work on Photoshop and rend often enough to need it so i gotta grab the i7, yeah only a month or so to go.

@PatarNoster

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

waiting on the X99 systems for multi-GPU (3+ or more), need 128GB RAM,

$500+ for CPU for professional needs application usage?

needs were not expressed in the OP, but pretty much if looking to X99, you'll

need longer than 2years to wrangle the best out of the X99 chipset.

easiest would be Z87/97 on i5 (gaming) i7 (productivity) and look forward

to Skylake in 2years. plus you'll have a half-step of the Broadwell series.

Well its for 80% gaming and 20% pro use, What i mean is should i get the z99 equivalent of the z97 to future proof, or should i just do that at the next 2 year upgrade?

"2years to wrangle the best out of the X99 chipset." thats really what i wanted to understand, is it worth getting in first on the new tech or let it mature and then get onto it once all is well and good

Cheers

What is in your current build?

Heres a link to part picker

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PatarNoster/saved/p6XJ7P

I really would like to move into the Intel line up, but on the other hand i am OCing my CPU to 4.2ghz atm

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Heres Tom with the Weather.” - Bill Hicks

I work on Photoshop and rend often enough to need it so i gotta grab the i7, yeah only a month or so to go. 

Well its for 80% gaming and 20% pro use, What i mean is should i get the z99 equivalent of the z97 to future proof, or should i just do that at the next 2 year upgrade?

with that said, i'd lean severely on the i5 for your gaming and the 20% pro usage

will be fine so you can use the spare cash to use on GPU(s) (80% usage).

if it were more 50/50 or 60/40 (60pro) then i7 would get the tap on the shoulder.

unless you are angling on e-peen, the Hero will do just as well over the formula.

Then get this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97g55sli motherboard and a 4790K

How do you think that MSI motherboard compares to the ASUS ROG ?

Is the ROG just bloat-features ? or has it got some worth to it ?

with that said, i'd lean severely on the i5 for your gaming and the 20% pro usage

will be fine so you can use the spare cash to use on GPU(s) (80% usage).

if it were more 50/50 or 60/40 (60pro) then i7 would get the tap on the shoulder.

unless you are angling on e-peen, the Hero will do just as well over the formula.

Yeah true,

haha i was like e-peen, what feature is that... and then i googled it... haha

The hero was my 1st choice until I found the Formula in my local shop.

How does the hero compare to the formula?

How do you think that MSI motherboard compares to the ASUS ROG ?

Is the ROG just bloat-features ? or has it got some worth to it ?

The MSI is 300$ cheaper and supports SLI, ROG is usually just a gimmick and just a bunch of features no one will ever use

The MSI is 300$ cheaper and supports SLI, ROG is usually just a gimmick and just a bunch of features no one will ever use

Yeah thats very true, 300 is alot!, 

Im not a big MSI lover due to some bad exp few years back and sort of had asus in every PC, 

so 

what about the Asus Sabertooth M1?

Yeah thats very true, 300 is alot!, 

Im not a big MSI lover due to some bad exp few years back and sort of had asus in every PC, 

so 

what about the Asus Sabertooth M1?

It is a good motherboard

Definitely get the i7 since you're doing photoshop work, however I've read previous posts n' stuff, and yeah the ROG mobo is way overkill for you. I don't know what your personal experiences were with MSI mobos but the newer higher end boards (i.e. the M-Power or X-Power ones) are trustworthy. Still your opinion. 

What's the news with DDR4? Because I heard it was announced and then delayed so I'm assuming it's gonna get delayed again.

Wait and see for the GTX 880. If the pricetag stays where it's reported at being right now and all is good, get it.

I completely agreed about the ROG board i went to my local shop and compared that and the hero and the sabertooth, physicaly. Sometimes the online stuff is to confusing. 

So yes definitly not getting the ROG board, thanks fellas :)

About the i7, or i5, i think ill go with the i7 as when i do some work i do need the boost. I know it wouldnt be constant but oh well. 

So i think i will roll with the sabertooth and i7 :) 

• 4 months later...

HI Guys 

Just wanted to share my completed build thanks for all your help ! 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/282712-dream-machine-201415/