Tough Choices

N3rot0xin

I'm looking to upgrade my current GPU in the nearish future(my current specs are in my sig). I'm having a hard time picking, as I'm not entirely sure what would actually be the best choice. At the time of writing, i have dual 22" monitors(BenQ GW2250 and AOC e2243Fwk) both of which are DVI. Thats where I'm stuck, there doesn't seem to be a lot of options for Dual-DVI setups out of the box for most cards. So far, here are 3 possible choices: 

#1 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150590  This one has a higher base core clock, comes with HDMI to DVI adapter

#2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127667  Comes with MiniDP to DP adapter

#3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150588  Higher Base Clock, native Dual-DVI ports

At a glance, it looks like an obvious choice. Get the one with a higher clock speed and dual DVI. I would agree, but there are a number of reviews saying things like the card get really hot, or it overheats or runs really loud(couple even said louder then a reference blower). All of which are reasons to not buy it. Mainly what I'm looking at is if #3 actually runs really hot and/or loud, and if the other options are better. #1 Does come with an HDMI to DVI, but i always thought DVI was the higher bandwidth between the two and converting HDMI to DVI wasn't a good idea? Or maybe that was some voodoo I read or heard somewhere. And on dual 22" displays it probably wouldn't matter I guess. 

I am whatever I am. 

Get the first one. It's the cheapest, not to mention you should overclock it anyway. 

Dvi and hdmi have the same signal.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I would get your third choice because it has dual native dvi out puts and higher clock speeds even with two fans. If noise is really a issue some good noise canceling headphones should do the trick. And if the card overheats you can always rma it. (anyways a gpu has to get over 95 degrees c or 200 degrees f to cause any damage you should be fine considering my xfx card with one fan runs at 70 degrees c under load)

I personally don't prefer XFX due to bad experience with their cards and their customer support. My card died after 1 week of normal use and it took them 5 1/2 week to send me new one....

So personally I would choose the MSI card, but other might have other positive experiences ( I hope?)

EDIT:

But I would say that all of the cards are highly overclockable and should bring many hours of fun and exciting gameplay!

Good luck! And I would love to see a pic of your gaming rig 

I personally don't prefer XFX due to bad experience with their cards and their customer support. My card died after 1 week of normal use and it took them 5 1/2 week to send me new one....

So personally I would choose the MSI card, but other might have other positive experiences ( I hope?)

I 2nd that from what ive heard the XFX customer support leaves much to be desired and the coolers are not the best, I own the 3rd card and while it stays fairly cool it is loud and being that they are voltage locked overclocking is limited

give a man a gun he robs a bank, give a man a bank he robs the world

Good i have a xfx card and now i feel like i have a ticking time bomb in my case. :(

It might just be that one case, I know other people that have XFX cards and they can't see anything bad about them. In the situations I've heard of the card is ether dead on arrival, dies after a week or so. In 90%ish og the cases I've seen the card is fine and overclocked and nothing is wrong. So after experience if your card hasn't died yet, it will keep on transporting those pixels. 

I kind of (well used to kind of) prefer XFX  because at one point they did have good customer support( I know first hand, had an issue with my cooler fans). I think the chances of getting a DoA card are equally high among nearly all of the vendors.  That being said, I think i might change it up a bit. Not to mention that the Ghost coolers look really good, except for the brown strip at the top. My rig might not be much, but at least it matches. 

@whatwid , i'll get a pic up here probably by the end of the night. I have some work to to do on my rig internally anyways. :)

I am whatever I am. 

Thats what I hear. Its funny tho, the loudest fan in my case isn't the GPU, even under normal gaming loads. Its the PSU's fan. Right now its facing down, pulling air in from the bottom but I want to flip it and see if it gets quieter. 

I am whatever I am. 

There is an HD 7970 for 330 on NCIX.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

Hmmm... Thats a damn good deal for a 7970. I hope I am employed soon so i can buy that. 

I am whatever I am. 

a 7950 is also not a bad choise? Even cheaper and if overclocked gets very near to 7970 performance.... 

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

Hmmm... Thats a damn good deal for a 7970. I hope I am employed soon so i can buy that. 

I would just get a Twin Frozr 3 7950 or the HIS IcQ X2 7950 and over clock it to beat the reference 7970 to save some money.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer