computer battery backup

So I just recently built my first computer and have been toying with the idea of buying a nvida shield, but I live in Florida we can get some crazy storms that can cause the power to go out. Do you think it would be wise to buy a battery backup, something like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=42-101-419

I am mostly worried that if I was to be gaming with the shield off site I wouldn't be able to shut down the computer when a storm is in the area. How easy is it to fry a computer from a sudden power outage? and I guess to get back to my main point, if you recommend the idea of getting one, which one?

So I just recently built my first computer and have been toying with the idea of buying a nvida shield, but I live in Florida we can get some crazy storms that can cause the power to go out. Do you think it would be wise to buy a battery backup, something like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=42-101-419

I am mostly worried that if I was to be gaming with the shield off site I wouldn't be able to shut down the computer when a storm is in the area. How easy is it to fry a computer from a sudden power outage? and I guess to get back to my main point, if you recommend the idea of getting one, which one?

Hey I live in Florida to aren't those power outage a pain in the butt.Let me answer your questions

*Can a power outage cause damage to your pc?Yes even if you don't get a UPS always have a Surge Protector.

*Should you get a UPS?YES 100% i have mulltibel including one for my desktop and servers.(i love the feeling i get when i can play games even tho the power out:) )

*Wich One do i recomend?If you want something that will give you enoph time to shutdown this:http://www.amazon.com/APC-BE550G-Back-UPS-Outlet-550VA/dp/B0019804U8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407035285&sr=8-1&keywords=ups

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1500G-BACK-UPS-10-Outlet-1500VA/dp/B003Y24DEU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1407035285&sr=8-8&keywords=ups

*Want something you can get a few hours out of? This:

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

Depending how comfortable you are with tinkering you could always get a decent ups and wire in a big deep cycle battery to replace the stock battery. Not that difficult to do really

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Hey I live in Florida to aren't those power outage a pain in the butt.Let me answer your questions

*Can a power outage cause damage to your pc?Yes even if you don't get a UPS always have a Surge Protector.

*Should you get a UPS?YES 100% i have mulltibel including one for my desktop and servers.(i love the feeling i get when i can play games even tho the power out:) )

*Wich One do i recomend?If you want something that will give you enoph time to shutdown this:http://www.amazon.com/APC-BE550G-Back-UPS-Outlet-550VA/dp/B0019804U8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407035285&sr=8-1&keywords=ups

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1500G-BACK-UPS-10-Outlet-1500VA/dp/B003Y24DEU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1407035285&sr=8-8&keywords=ups

*Want something you can get a few hours out of? This:

lol yes the storms have been getting worse this week which made me think I really need to get one. The link you provided to one on amazon, is that one enough for a pc with a 650 watt power supply? Sorry for the very noob question, but do you need a backup that can cover the full load of your power supply? I dont think I would need to have it run my system very long to get it to shutdown. 

lol yes the storms have been getting worse this week which made me think I really need to get one. The link you provided to one on amazon, is that one enough for a pc with a 650 watt power supply? Sorry for the very noob question, but do you need a backup that can cover the full load of your power supply? I dont think I would need to have it run my system very long to get it to shutdown. 

Yes that UPS can handle 1500 watts so go ahead and plug everything to it PC/Monitor/Phone/Router/ETC This one for reference: http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1500G-BACK-UPS-10-Outlet-1500VA/dp/B003Y24DEU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1407035285&sr=8-8&keywords=ups

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

Depending how comfortable you are with tinkering you could always get a decent ups and wire in a big deep cycle battery to replace the stock battery. Not that difficult to do really

I honestly don't recommend i personally do it but i have lots os ACID protections the battery not even inside i let it get ventilated out side so those harmful gases dont cach fire or poison me.what im saying is that its allot of work for someone who has just built there first PC.

I honestly don't recommend i personally do it but i have lots os ACID protections the battery not even inside i let it get ventilated out side so those harmful gases dont cach fire or poison me.what im saying is that its allot of work for someone who has just built there first PC.

I thought it unlikely that the op would be comfortable doing it. But you never know he could do something for a job that makes him comfortable working with that kind of thing. I run one and building it had nothing to do with computers. It was work with wireing in cars and otherthings like that.

But your right it is probably a little to much/dangerous at this point.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

I thought it unlikely that the op would be comfortable doing it. But you never know he could do something for a job that makes him comfortable working with that kind of thing. I run one and building it had nothing to do with computers. It was work with wireing in cars and otherthings like that.

But your right it is probably a little to much/dangerous at this point.

True glade we see it the same way. :) BTW whats your setup i have to 12v deep cycle batteries connected to a BIG server UPS.Then the wires (sleeved) Go along my baseboard to my garage (did it with only making one whole)To the batteries which are in a dual battery box with baking soda on the bottom(if you didn't know baking soda absorbs acid.) and the i have normal ups for everything else..

True glade we see it the same way. :) BTW whats your setup i have to 12v deep cycle batteries connected to a BIG server UPS.Then the wires (sleeved) Go along my baseboard to my garage (did it with only making one whole)To the batteries which are in a dual battery box with baking soda on the bottom(if you didn't know baking soda absorbs acid.) and the i have normal ups for everything else..

Baking soda neutralizes acid actually.

I have a big 12v battery up in my atic. I'm one floor down. I already had access to inside the wall so I ran some nice insulated wire up inside my wall and wired it to a standered wall socket I installed. The wires run up to the atic and I have the battery in a battery box. Baking soda is a must. I spliced a normal wall style plug into the ups battery terminals and now it has a plug instead of just wires. It makes the whole thing nice and portable if I need to move it in a hurry. The battery also has a maintnence charger attached so as long as I have power the battery stays fully topped up. This is important with deep cycle batteries.

Yeah I don't think is would be comfortable making my own, but thanks for the info. Idk if you are interested but today in Florida they are tax exempt for back to school plus you can use a 10% off movers discount.