Sheild Portable vs Tablet

gschneiderAW18

Hi all,

Currently I have an Alienware 18 laptop that's in my sig. The laptop its self is great but it really doesn't get used as a laptop is it always needs power to game, it weighs more than 6kg, IT'S HUGE and it needs the back end propped up to be cooled more effectively. In all it gets used as a desktop unless I travel then it gets packed up and set up in another location as a desktop. At home its linked up like desktop, bigger monitor, speakers, better mouse and keyboard. Don't get me wrong I love being able to go to a friends or anywhere and whip out a machine that puts most desktops to pure shame, but at home its an irritant.

To that end I myself a Shield portable 2 days ago. Since then I have used it extensively on GameStream that thing is awesome!!!! I can play in bed or whatever, it's amazing!!

The question I now am befuddled by is, should I have a Shield tablet and controller?

Pros Shield portable: One unit I just open the lid and play.

Cons: Weight, screen size to small, brightness on Metro last light made it unplayable in dark area's of the game.

Pros Shield Tablet: Larger screen, is an actual tablet.

Cons: 2 separate devices.

Next year the miss's and I are going to get a Very high end Desktop with Extreme CPU as well as Triple SLI of whatever NVidia card is top of the tree,  64gb Ram, Raid 0 SSD's etc... I will still the 18 so I can use it around the house or when the Miss's is on the desktop working.

So what would you guys do? Do I keep the Portable or return it for a Shield tablet?

(Dear god why does copy and paste not work??????)

Alienware 18 laptop: 4800MQ @ 3.7Ghz, Dual Nvidia Geforce GTX 780m 4gb in SLI (custom vbios), 16Gb (4x4gb) 1600mhz Ram, 256gb Samsung 840 pro, 750gb Momentus XT Cache accelerated by 64gb Samsung 830 mSata SSD, Windows 8.1.

Accessories: Corsair K70 keyboard, Corsair M65 Mouse, Corsair MM200 Mouse matt, 27" ASUS MX279 Monitor, Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2, Bose Compaion 20 Speakers, Bowers and Wilkins P7 headphones, Netgear R7000 Router.

Other: iPhone 5s 16gb.

if you just got the shield portable, I wouldn't get the tablet, unless you're already in the market for a tablet.

(and don't get 64gb of ram. it's useless and offers 0 benefit over 16gb for 99.9% of situations)

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Shield Tablet Review:

Shield Review:

Since you already bought i guess don't switch to tablet. You aready got one and it's good enough, there's no need to switch. 

Added info: I have only had the portable for 2 days I can return it for a full refund within the next 10 days. Amazon is very helpful sometimes.

Vacsol: I am never in the market for a tablet at all, I find them inferior to a laptop due to there limitations. The attraction is purely for GameStream. As my AW18 is just to much heft to move all the time lol (My misses is a music composer 64GB of ram is essential to her)

Thanks for the help so far guys :D

Alienware 18 laptop: 4800MQ @ 3.7Ghz, Dual Nvidia Geforce GTX 780m 4gb in SLI (custom vbios), 16Gb (4x4gb) 1600mhz Ram, 256gb Samsung 840 pro, 750gb Momentus XT Cache accelerated by 64gb Samsung 830 mSata SSD, Windows 8.1.

Accessories: Corsair K70 keyboard, Corsair M65 Mouse, Corsair MM200 Mouse matt, 27" ASUS MX279 Monitor, Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2, Bose Compaion 20 Speakers, Bowers and Wilkins P7 headphones, Netgear R7000 Router.

Other: iPhone 5s 16gb.