Patriot Fuel +

DatBrummie

I'm not really sure if this post goes here so I'll put it here. If there's a better place I'm sure it'll be moved. 

I'm looking to buy a Patriot Fuel + for when I start back at college in September. 

I've already seen Linus' video on NCIX about the battery banks and of all of those I think the Fuel + is the one for me. 

I don't mind size or weight as I'll be able to just drop it in my back pack with my school books, iPad and anything else I'm carrying and it'll be fine.

However the only wall adapter that I really have is 5V 1A 

Will this be enough to charge a Fuel + with it's 9,000 mAh battery? I had a quick look on Amazon for more powerful wall adapters, but I couldn't find any so if anyone knows of one and can provide a link I would be grateful. (Amazon.co.uk please as some products on .com aren't on .co.uk)

Thanks in advance for reading/replying, and sorry if it's in the wrong place!

I'm not really sure if this post goes here so I'll put it here. If there's a better place I'm sure it'll be moved. 

I'm looking to buy a Patriot Fuel + for when I start back at college in September. 

I've already seen Linus' video on NCIX about the battery banks and of all of those I think the Fuel + is the one for me. 

I don't mind size or weight as I'll be able to just drop it in my back pack with my school books, iPad and anything else I'm carrying and it'll be fine.

However the only wall adapter that I really have is 5V 1A 

Will this be enough to charge a Fuel + with it's 9,000 mAh battery? I had a quick look on Amazon for more powerful wall adapters, but I couldn't find any so if anyone knows of one and can provide a link I would be grateful. (Amazon.co.uk please as some products on .com aren't on .co.uk)

Thanks in advance for reading/replying, and sorry if it's in the wrong place!

I actually purchased the 6000mAh patriot fuel+  about 8 months, so I can tell you for sure a 1.0A wall charger will definitely work but will take forever to fill up the battery I believe from 0% to 100% took mine almost 5 hours using a 1.0A, I recently switched to a 2.0A charger and it helps a fairly good amount but after the 75% portion it tends to take the longer time to top up the battery to it's 100% mark. The actual input for the device can go up to a max draw of 2.5A from wall charger but mine will even start charging on a computer USB 2.0 port so I doubt you'll have any issues with charging but more of the time it takes.

Hope that helps  :)

I actually purchased the 6000mAh patriot fuel+  about 8 months, so I can tell you for sure a 1.0A wall charger will definitely work but will take forever to fill up the battery I believe from 0% to 100% took mine almost 5 hours using a 1.0A, I recently switched to a 2.0A charger and it helps a fairly good amount but after the 75% portion it tends to take the longer time to top up the battery to it's 100% mark. The actual input for the device can go up to a max draw of 2.5A from wall charger but mine will even start charging on a computer USB 2.0 port so I doubt you'll have any issues with charging but more of the time it takes.

Hope that helps  :)

Right thanks. 

I assumed that it would work with a 1A charger, just slowly. However I wasn't sure how slow it would be. 

As long as I can plug it in before I go to sleep, and wake up and it be fully charged then I'm fine.

It took you 5 hours to charge your 6,000 mAh Patriot with a 1A charger; it'll take slightly longer to charge mine understandably. But do you think it'll still get it done overnight? If not then I'll have to start looking for a more powerful wall adapter.

Where did you get your 2.0?

Right thanks. 

I assumed that it would work with a 1A charger, just slowly. However I wasn't sure how slow it would be. 

As long as I can plug it in before I go to sleep, and wake up and it be fully charged then I'm fine.

It took you 5 hours to charge your 6,000 mAh Patriot with a 1A charger; it'll take slightly longer to charge mine understandably. But do you think it'll still get it done overnight? If not then I'll have to start looking for a more powerful wall adapter.

Where did you get your 2.0?

I'm pretty sure it will be fully charged overnight using a 1.0A charger, but if you use the pass through function and charge your iPad or other devices through it, the 1.0A will probably have difficulties filling up the battery.  As for my wall adapter I used a spare apple charger for an iPad, I believe it's a 10W 2.1A charger but any good quality wall charger will do.

I'm pretty sure it will be fully charged overnight using a 1.0A charger, but if you use the pass through function and charge your iPad or other devices through it, the 1.0A will probably have difficulties filling up the battery.  As for my wall adapter I used a spare apple charger for an iPad, I believe it's a 10W 2.1A charger but any good quality wall charger will do.

When I use my iPad adapter to charge my phone; it says it's USB not AC and it charges my phone really slowly and my phone gets really hot. Weird.

When I use my iPad adapter to charge my phone; it says it's USB not AC and it charges my phone really slowly and my phone gets really hot. Weird.

Shouldn't be a problem using a high amp charger on your phone, I do that on my iPhone and never had a problem, kinda strange.

Shouldn't be a problem using a high amp charger on your phone, I do that on my iPhone and never had a problem, kinda strange.

Could it be because the iPad charger is 5.1V while my phone charger (that works perfectly) is 5.0?

Could it be because the iPad charger is 5.1V while my phone charger (that works perfectly) is 5.0?

I don't think that would be an issue, I'm able to use mine for my iPhone just fine maybe it's a problem with the charger itself I'm not too sure, but I know if you try the iPhone charger on the iPad you may have some problems with not charging.

I don't think that would be an issue, I'm able to use mine for my iPhone just fine maybe it's a problem with the charger itself I'm not too sure, but I know if you try the iPhone charger on the iPad you may have some problems with not charging.

Then that's odd. I can charge my iPad with it fine, but when I plug my phone in to it (Motorola Razr I) the phone gets hotter and also charges slower. However my 1A charger does it just fine.

I wonder if the iPad charger would have a similar effect on the Fuel+

Then that's odd. I can charge my iPad with it fine, but when I plug my phone in to it (Motorola Razr I) the phone gets hotter and also charges slower. However my 1A charger does it just fine.

I wonder if the iPad charger would have a similar effect on the Fuel+

From my experience at least I don't have any problems with the iPad charger on my fuel+, I'm really not too sure about your phone situation because theoretically speaking it should work with the iPad charger since it is within specs of the USB charger just using with higher output capability in amps. 

From my experience at least I don't have any problems with the iPad charger on my fuel+, I'm really not too sure about your phone situation because theoretically speaking it should work with the iPad charger since it is within specs of the USB charger just using with higher output capability in amps. 

When I go to the battery section in the settings. It says it's charging from USB not from AC when I use the iPad charger (Not sure if I mentioned that already) It's weird.

Maybe the iPad charger works with the iPhone because Apple made it that way, but for some reason something about it won't work properly with my Android?

When I go to the battery section in the settings. It says it's charging from USB not from AC when I use the iPad charger (Not sure if I mentioned that already) It's weird.

Maybe the iPad charger works with the iPhone because Apple made it that way, but for some reason something about it won't work properly with my Android?

Maybe it might have something to do with it but if worst comes to worst USB chargers aren't too expensive these days even for a good quality high amp charger so you could replace it.

Just an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Home-Travel-Wall-Charger/dp/B009KY4BSE/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1407216776&sr=1-3&keywords=belkin+usb+charger+2amp

Maybe it might have something to do with it but if worst comes to worst USB chargers aren't too expensive these days even for a good quality high amp charger so you could replace it.

Just an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Home-Travel-Wall-Charger/dp/B009KY4BSE/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1407216776&sr=1-3&keywords=belkin+usb+charger+2amp

I can't seem to find a good one on Amazon.co.uk though. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb%20wall%20charger&sprefix=USB+wall%2Caps%2C172&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ausb%20wall%20charger

That Belkin one in the search results I' not sure how it works because we have 3pin sockets here. All of the others are brands I haven't heard of. Any suggestions?

I can't seem to find a good one on Amazon.co.uk though. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb%20wall%20charger&sprefix=USB+wall%2Caps%2C172&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ausb%20wall%20charger

That Belkin one in the search results I' not sure how it works because we have 3pin sockets here. All of the others are brands I haven't heard of. Any suggestions?

I think the off brand ones will work but personally I'm a bit weary of them due to some of the cheap Asia ones causing problems, hmm how about these ones:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Samsung-Galaxy-Adapter-Charger/dp/B00GLRI8AU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407218036&sr=8-2&keywords=wall+charger+2.0amp

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-MixIt-Colour-Range-Charger/dp/B009S67LF4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=15D1QX1SQ47RGZQ20AK8

I did see that Belkin one, and it said it was out of stock and would take 1-3 months to be dispatched. However I just realised that different colours have different stock so I just can't get it in black and green.

I think I'll buy that charger and a Fuel+ then! Thanks.

Does the Fuel come with a USB to Micro USB adapter to charge it, or would I have to use my own?

I brought a 5 pack of braided USB chargers so it's not too big of an issue if I have to use my own as I have a couple of spare so I could still plug the Fuel and my phone in, but I'm just wondering.

(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xperitus-USB-Cable-Google-Nexus/dp/B00GS0O5RU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407219336&sr=8-2&keywords=micro+usb+cable)

I did see that Belkin one, and it said it was out of stock and would take 1-3 months to be dispatched. However I just realised that different colours have different stock so I just can't get it in black and green.

I think I'll buy that charger and a Fuel+ then! Thanks.

Does the Fuel come with a USB to Micro USB adapter to charge it, or would I have to use my own?

I brought a 5 pack of braided USB chargers so it's not too big of an issue if I have to use my own as I have a couple of spare so I could still plug the Fuel and my phone in, but I'm just wondering.

(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xperitus-USB-Cable-Google-Nexus/dp/B00GS0O5RU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407219336&sr=8-2&keywords=micro+usb+cable)

Oh those are some pretty nice braided cables  :)

The fuel+ comes with a short 10-11 inch USB to Micro USB cable for less cable clutter.

The fuel+ comes with a short 10-11 inch USB to Micro USB cable for less cable clutter.

Yeah I like them. Everyone at work has asked for one so I only have one spare left now :(

Alright that's great. 

Thanks for your help. I just ordered a Fuel+ 9,000 mAh and the Belkin wall charger.

Oddly enough, when charging with that Belkin 5V 2.1A charger it also says it's charging with a USB not AC connection when I go to the battery section in settings 

Oddly enough, when charging with that Belkin 5V 2.1A charger it also says it's charging with a USB not AC connection when I go to the battery section in settings

It is through a USB connection is it saying the connect wall charger is a sync cable like from your computer, and does the new charger not work with your phone still?

It is through a USB connection is it saying the connect wall charger is a sync cable like from your computer, and does the new charger not work with your phone still?

All I changed was the wall adapter, and now if I go settings > battery at the top it says "Charging (USB)" Whereas if I use the 1A charger charger I already had it says "Charging (AC)"

All I changed was the wall adapter, and now if I go settings > battery at the top it says "Charging (USB)" Whereas if I use the 1A charger charger I already had it says "Charging (AC)"

Hmm not exactly sure why it would be AC charging since it's the USB charger uses DC but as long as the new charger does it's job  :)

Hmm not exactly sure why it would be AC charging since it's the USB charger uses DC but as long as the new charger does it's job  :)

Yeah it still seems to be working.

Maybe it's just something to do with my phone only recognising that the stock charger is AC. Anything more or less than that it just says isn't stock charger so must be USB.

Or something. I don't know. We need an Android expert to come solve this!