Need a new modem

hiyayhi

Hey guys, I need a new modem because the one that comes with my internet plan is a piece of shit.

I live in Australia and I need a cable modem, what you you guys suggest. Sorry for not knowing enough about networking, I really need to teach myself some more.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

• 1 year later...

How many ports do you need on this modem?

Do you need WiFi?

Why not go for a router? 

How many ports do you need on this modem?

Do you need WiFi?

Why not go for a router? 

A modem only needs a cable port and an ethernet port.

Modems don't do WiFi, WiFi access points do WiFi.

Because a modem is a modem and a router is a router. A router is useless without a modem.

Comb it with a brick

Because a modem is a modem and a router is a router. A router is useless without a modem.

You can get a "Multimodem" where they cram a modem, a router and an access point into the same shitty box...

A router isn't useless without a modem -_-

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

Hey guys, I need a new modem because the one that comes with my internet plan is a piece of shit.

I live in Australia and I need a cable modem, what you you guys suggest. Sorry for not knowing enough about networking, I really need to teach myself some more.

No worries about your lack of knowledge, you'll probably learn a bit here during this process.

I have some questions for you though.

1. Do you have a separate modem and router, or is your modem an "All-in-one" box that also provides WIFI and has multiple Ethernet ports on the back (4 is most common)?

2. Do you want to buy a standalone modem (will require a separate Router) or a combo all-in-one device?

3. What speed of Internet do you pay for (Will determine what kind of Cable Modem required, DOCSIS 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, etc).

Despite his rather tactless way of putting this, @.:MARK:. is correct. There are of course combo gateway devices that combine Modem/Router/AP/Switch into one box.

You can get a "Multimodem" where they cram a modem, a router and an access point into the same shitty box...

A router isn't useless without a modem -_-

You know what he meant ;) A Router is useless without a modem for 99% of people. A combo gateway device that has a modem built in, is no longer just a "router".

In any case, we need a bit more info from the OP before we can narrow down the right device.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)