CPU/GPU Bottleneck Question.

Hi guys,

I have a question for those of you with gaming build experience.

I have been trying to decide to do a new build or not, only becuase I am not sure if just a GPU upgrade will be worth the cost, or bite the bullet, and do a full system build.

My current system specs are:

AMD Phenom X6 1075t (3.0GHz)

8 gig Vengeance RAM @ 1600mhz.

Gigabyte ATi 6870OC

850 Cougar semi-modular PSU, etc.

I would like better game performance, but I am wonding if I purchased somthing similar to a R9 270/280X, if it would be pointless with my current CPU. (not overclocked at all).

Appologise if this question is in the wrong forum.

Look forward to hearing some opinions. Thank you.

no issues

go for the GPU upgrade now

add SSD later

and last is CPU and mobo

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

You should probably upgrade the cpu/mobo by 2015 Quarter 2. 

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

Doesn't that Phenom still smoke the lower end FX chips? 

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

the phenom is an excellent chip. i had a x6 1100t and it was plenty fast and overclocked like a champ. i recently upgraded to a FX-9590. the system runs a little faster but not much. the two best upgrades to my system was my graphics and my ssd. The first thing I would change is the graphics but go ahead and get something with a 2 or 4 gb frame buffer. I have Skyrim modded with alot of texture mods and my 2gb frame buffer tops out quickly. The SSD makes a BIG difference not only in system response time but in your games as well. For example In Whiterun I was getting about 15 FPS and changing over to a SSD brought it up to 45 FPS. Its still a low FPS but with the frame buffer maxed out the bottleneck is no longer the drive speed but my frame buffer size.     

I will do the best I can to help in any way. However I am not all knowing and realize that I can be wrong. If you know something I said is not factual please speak up and provide myself and otters reading reading the thread with the facts proving it. I'm not just here to help others learn I'm also here to learn myself. "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin    

Doesn't that Phenom still smoke the lower end FX chips? 

yes it does

I will do the best I can to help in any way. However I am not all knowing and realize that I can be wrong. If you know something I said is not factual please speak up and provide myself and otters reading reading the thread with the facts proving it. I'm not just here to help others learn I'm also here to learn myself. "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin    

Awesome, thank you for your replies. Helps me out a great deal. I think the graphics card will be replaced with a 280x/770, and a 256 SSD for new main drive.

Thank you again.