Can you tell if your being throttled?

deathwatch

Hey guys,

I have horrible stuttering and lag on twitch.tv. It happens all day everyday. I have a speed test of 11.Mb/s down and 0.8Mb/s up. No other site performs the way twitch does. I can watch youtube videos at 1080p fine but i can't stream Twitch at 360p.

My question is, can a ISP throttle a specific website? And if so, are there things i can do to record it or show it?

Sorry i realize network troubleshooting is the worst. Anyway way to quantify what i am seeing would be awesome.

Thanks

I might be a complete noob at this, but if you eliminate all other network traffic and then look at the task manager and then networking, you should be able to work out how fast your traffic is

hmm good idea, i tried it while trying to stream twitch and i get network utilization of between 0.01-0.03% of my 1Gb/s. As soon as i stream youtube at 1080p network utilization goes to 1.25% and then jumps up and down between 1.25 and 0.3 for a while.

lol network techs just face-palmed at my last statement. Sorry guys 

0.8Mbps is way to low to stream anything on twitch. Unless you mean watching a stream.

Watch this video and follow along. 

Who's your ISP and where do you live?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

cool thanx, i will try it and find out. 

you could try TCP Optimizer, for tuning and optimizing your Internet connection 

remember to write down all your setting before you change them. in case you want to put them back.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

then you could try changing your dns sever

good page to read https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

remember to write down all your setting before you change them. in case you want to put them back.