Laptop has multiple problems... (Need help pronto)

AmateurPCGuy
Go to solution Solved by Yeelen,

Open it up and clean it as good as you can. The heating and dying problems might be a result of dust clogging up inside (laptops have a safety which kills power if it overheats). A new battery will probably fix the battery life issues. As for the startup freezing, try running a full scan and defragmentation on the hard drive, it might have some bad stuff on it.

Okay, My mum has a good old Toshiba A135-S4677 (a dual core, 1 GB of RAM, intel graphics and Windows 8 on it which I installed). The problems were:

1. It's overheating WAY TOO FAST. Its already hot after the welcome screen...

2. Battery is malfunctioning. Does not charge and even if it was charged, it only lasts up to 15-20 minutes.

3. Dat charging cord.It's not tight (which I admit may be a problem, but it's connected properly that it can power the laptop on.) However, after a few minutes, the Laptop suddenly dies. even when the power cords are connected properly that it can be powered up.

4. Sometimes, it hangs on the splash screen. Removing the battery was the only solution for that. NOTE: This problem has occured on Windows Vista (the laptop's original OS), Windows 7 and Windows 8.

(Sorry if you can't understand this post. Text just can't explain the situation, you have to experience it to identify what the heck's going on with the laptop.)

Replace the CPu and GPU fans and change the battery. I can't recommend you anything else, sorry.

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

Open it up and clean it as good as you can. The heating and dying problems might be a result of dust clogging up inside (laptops have a safety which kills power if it overheats). A new battery will probably fix the battery life issues. As for the startup freezing, try running a full scan and defragmentation on the hard drive, it might have some bad stuff on it.

CPU: i5 4670K w/ NH-D15 - RAM: 4x4GB 1866Mhz Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 - GPU: MSI GTX 970 100ME - SSD: 250GB 850 EVO - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (games) & 2TB (storage) - MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 GAMING - Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Window - Fans:  A lot of Noctua NF-F12 (intake, exhaust) & 1x140mm Fractal Design included case fan - Monitor: DELL U2515H - Keyboard: Custom Logitech G105 - Mouse: Roccat Kova+ - Extra: LG Optical Drive, a lot of dust

Clean the dust, that is the best you can do, the laptop is getting old. You can defrag the hard drive, but I doubt it will fix your issue, but it still a good thing to do. Run CCleaner to clean the temporary junks.

Change the battery, it might be approching his dead

My blog about pc news: http://thecanadiangeekqc.wordpress.com/

Things you can do for the overheating: check to see if the fans are actually spinning, make sure fans are not being blocked/obscured, use a cooling pad with air specifically directed at the fans, clean out any dust, reapply thermal paste, check any heat pipes with a temperature gun (especially if there are discolored areas), try running without the battery, check and see if the AC adapter is getting unusually warm.

Clean it, and get rid of W8, get XP or maybe Seven for that old machine. Perhaps Ubuntu?

Mobo: Asus Maximus Impact VI Processor: Intel 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.22Vlts Memory: 2x8 GB DDR3 1866Mhz GSkill Sniper

VGA: Sapphire HD 7970 3GB OC Audio: Asus Impact Supreme FX SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120GB HDD: WD Black 500GB

Power Supply: Coolermaster V650 Semi Modular Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i

Clean it, and get rid of W8, get XP or maybe Seven for that old machine. Perhaps Ubuntu?

W7 and 8 are more efficient on resources than XP. Not to mention the look and ease of use.

CPU: i5 4670K w/ NH-D15 - RAM: 4x4GB 1866Mhz Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 - GPU: MSI GTX 970 100ME - SSD: 250GB 850 EVO - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (games) & 2TB (storage) - MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 GAMING - Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Window - Fans:  A lot of Noctua NF-F12 (intake, exhaust) & 1x140mm Fractal Design included case fan - Monitor: DELL U2515H - Keyboard: Custom Logitech G105 - Mouse: Roccat Kova+ - Extra: LG Optical Drive, a lot of dust

i agree with everyone else,  crack that thing open, clean everything out, battery swop , probarly get rid of anything above win xp... you have just 1gb ram... windows 8 needs at least 4gb i think to just even run , that's without doing stuff on it.

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

Be careful with the power connector..the plugs on the laptops are known to break away on the inside and render your system with no power and no charging..

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

try putting the screw driver in and use a set of mole grips to twist it. use oyur other hand to press firmly on the top of the screwdriver...

first try to tighten it then loosen it. if you have some handy use some wd 40 just a minute amount and make sure you clean it off properly after.

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

Okay, I tried to clean the laptop's interior but there's a hindrance... a screw is stuck! I used the right size, but i still can't remove it... there's only one screw stuck, but I can't open it up without that not removed...

Either do this:

try putting the screw driver in and use a set of mole grips to twist it. use oyur other hand to press firmly on the top of the screwdriver...

first try to tighten it then loosen it. if you have some handy use some wd 40 just a minute amount and make sure you clean it off properly after.

Or, worst case scenario, you may have to get an easy-out.

da70.jpg

These are left handed threads, so they grip onto the screw and undo them at the same time, you will have to drill a hole in the screw to use these. Again, this is a worst case scenario, you should avoid it if you can.

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.

The Green Machine.

If you have drill..and a drill bit just a hair over the size of the screw..than just take the head of the screw off..you will not need to go hard or fast.Once the panel is off the screw can be removed with a pair off pliers..Good luck.. 

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

Careful with the drill. Perhaps the first go around with the screwdriver didn't work out because you used the wrong sized phillips head? Anyways, take the laptop completely apart (CAREFULLY!) and blow all the dust out with compressed air in a can. might have to use paper towels and q-tips to get any caked on stuff. After that, buy a replacement battery (an OEM one, to be safe). Batteries go out after 5-6 years.

If the DC power jack that the power cord plugs into is loose, it may not be allowing proper charging. It might possibly have to be re-soldered (the difficulty here varies wildly from laptop to laptop).

Good luck.

just got that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to crack the case wide open and clean it... (with a little bit of drilling) and I will never do that again. NEVER!

Battery will have to wait since no funds have been provided (yet). As for that DC jack... I dunno...I might just buy a new charger...

Edit: I will install XP here soon. and I don't care if Microsoft will terminate its support.

Finally got the laptop up and running (i forgot to reconnect the power ribbon... my bad)... and run a mini stress test with awkward results: the test contains:

1 movie streamed over the network

3 youtube videos

the forum

and the awkward results (take a look at the temps and its load... totally unmatched...

AGUp0Cz.jpg

JsUwDAt.jpg

eW65SYT.jpg

tomorrow, i'm going to start messing with the software (installing windows xp) hopefully... it will reduce the system load, and maybe decreasing the temperatures...

Finally got the laptop up and running (i forgot to reconnect the power ribbon... my bad)... and run a mini stress test with awkward results: the test contains:

1 movie streamed over the network

3 youtube videos

the forum

and the awkward results (take a look at the temps and its load... totally unmatched...

tomorrow, i'm going to start messing with the software (installing windows xp) hopefully... it will reduce the system load, and maybe decreasing the temperatures...

Please tell me you didn't take off the CPU heatsink without replacing the thermal compound.

hope you didn't run the whole movie, or that cpu is just finished by now , didn't you set up safety temps in your bios?

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

Please tell me you didn't take off the CPU heatsink without replacing the thermal compound.

i can't remove the heatsink as the HSF was stuck on the motherboard's PCB... i couldn't rick my laptop breaking physically. so i just cleaned the fans...

hope you didn't run the whole movie, or that cpu is just finished by now , didn't you set up safety temps in your bios?

I just ran a part of the movie, as for the safety temps, on what part of the bios can i see that?

Maybe it's time for a new laptop =/

How long have u had the laptop, and is it worth replacing the CPU/GPU, or just scrapping the entire thing and buying a new laptop/desktop?