Can't Overclock

I recently pulled out a system that I had retired a few weeks ago to try and find some use for it. Before I put it away, the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 had been clocked at 3.3 Ghz for a while, and before that, it had been at 3 Ghz on the stock cooler. 

To be safe, when I set it back up, it set it to 3 Ghz, and it boots into Windows just as before, but once I'm there, I can see that, for some reason, it didn't accept the overclock. Going into CPUZ, even when running Prime95, it says that its at the stock 2.4 Ghz. 

When I go back into the BIOS, the settings are saved with the overclock, but the current values are still at stock, even if I change it again.

I did reset the BIOS before starting the overclocking again, so is there anything I could have missed? 

Thanks for any help you can provide. Also, just to be clear, it's not unstable, the overclock is just not being applied. 

Latest BIOS on mobo? Mine did pretty much same. Put in OC, boot to test it and notice that it has been reseted.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Latest BIOS on mobo? Mine did pretty much same. Put in OC, boot to test it and notice that it has been reseted.

I figured out what it was. For some reason, it would not accept an overclock unless I had dual channel RAM in the mobo. I was running it with 3 of 4 slots filled. Once I filled the 4th slot or had only 2 slots filled, it would accept the overclock just fine.