Gaming Build help

Hello there guys,

To start off I am completely new to the forums of Linus Tech Tips. I am from The Netherlands (aka 'Holland'. or 'Pays-bas' if you'r french) 

I'd like to build a gaming oriënted pc. 

My goal is to get a serious decent performing pc for as little money as possible

Also some things I take into consideration is noise, heat output and energy usage. €800 max (or $1000 USD / $1100 CAD)

-Corsair Vengeance C70

-I5-4670K / FX-8350

-Kingston hyperX fury

-MSI G45 Gaming (both 1150 and am3+ versions available)

-Corsair RM450

-MSI R9 270X

-Cooler master hyper 212 evo

-WD Black 1TB

(As you can see I'm using mainly MSI and corsair, Because I find Asus a bit over priced with features I won't care about anyway) 

So I've recently found out that the MSI R9 270X with mantle and 4GB of VRAM performs very well at games like BF4.

And considering the price (€170 Euro's, 231 USD, 247 CAD)in my country much more reasonable priced

compared to a GTX 760 (€204 Euro's, 277 USD, 269 CAD) and it performs similar if not better with mantle. 

Now the problem is, the CPU..

I'm looking at an I5-4670K or an FX-8350, but it is so hard to find real useable data on these 2 because of the fan boys.

Nobody can clearly tell what CPU to buy IMO, because one says Intel is better blabla and AMD is crap and vice versa.

So the magical question is "What will I do with it?"

-Games like Battlefield 4

-Minecraft

-Basic photoshopping

-Software development.

-Web surving / Video streaming

Altough games such as BF4 do benefit from the 8 cores. Minecraft does NOT. 

What will be an overal better bet? I do look at the fact that AMD is slightly cheaper in general and also use a little bit more energy.

But the main thing is, more cores? or better single core performance? 

P.S, If you are a fanboy (or prefere any of the 2 brands over the other one) please do not cause this topic to become an AMD vs Intel war because that is no use. Also I am personally completely open to both myself and I'm not a fanboy of either. 

Help is greatly appreciated :)

instead of getting the 270X 4GB

find a R9 280 which is better than what you will be getting

the R9 280 is actually the HD7950 Boost while the 270X is a HD7870 GHz edition

the 270X 4GB cost almost the same as the R9 280

3GB is currently the sweet spot for gaming at 1080P very high details

bump your PSU to a 500-550 watts and you are rocking BF4 very soon

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I have always been on the side of the single core performance than more cores and less perfomance per core, so I would get the i5 4670k or i5 4690k if/when available.

I would recommend getting the R9 280 too if you want to think a little bit about the future or go with the R9 270X which is similar to my Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB OC and I can run pretty much all the games with max graphics including BF4 and I'm happy with it :). Not putting an SSD into a 800€ build would be a sin, you could benefit alot from it and no loading screens for BF4, if you can't buy it right now then definitely buy one later :)

Aslo add a more powerful PSU like 550W-600W.

That's an awesome build. You can get the 280, it's an awesome performer, but you're saying that energy consumption is an issue so maybe a GTX 760 can give you more power in CUDA applications and games with less energy consumption. Nvidia cards usually needs less power than AMD cards.

I would pick the GTX 760 only if you use CUDA applications, that can help you a lot, if not, stick with the 270x or buy a 280. That depends on how much you can to spend

So I've been thinking about the fact that nextgen consoles all seem to use 8 cores and this does say something about upcoming games. But every body seems to recommend the I5-4670K so I guess it might be worth paying the extra $30 for Intel.

And for the graphics card, people recommend an R9 280 instead of an R9 270X

But when I look up some benchmarks it's always 270x vs 280x and there's not all whole lot abou the 280. Could someone show me some benchmarks?

As for the PSU, I wanted a high quality psu rather than a psu with more wattage which it, according to some calculations, doesn't need. Do I really need more than 450 if the system uses around 350 at full load?

So I've been thinking about the fact that nextgen consoles all seem to use 8 cores and this does say something about upcoming games. But every body seems to recommend the I5-4670K so I guess it might be worth paying the extra $30 for Intel.

But when I look up some benchmarks it's always 270x vs 280x and there's not all whole lot abou the 280. Could someone show me some benchmarks?

As for the PSU, I wanted a high quality psu rather than a psu with more wattage which it, according to some calculations, doesn't need. Do I really need more than 450 if the system uses around 350 at full load?

not really

In the PS4 and Xbox One, game only can use up to 6 cores

the other 2 cores are for OS.

280 is quite a new GPU

but you can look for HD7950 Boost benchmarks as the 280 is a rebrand of the HD7950 Boost with higher clocks

you can opt for better rating low wattage PSU, pick a one with at least Gold Rating 500 Watts PSU but avoid Corsair RM series as they use cheap caps in their PSU

Seasonic or the CoolerMaster VSM series are good

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Well thing with consoles and cores are simple.

New consoles use more, but slower cores. Intel consumer grade CPUs are maxed at 4 cores, but these cores are faster, much more efficient and will get job done even better than console 8 cores.

Intel i7 2600 @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI Z77-GD55 | Crucial 16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz | Intel 330 SSD 180Gb | Western Digital Black 1Tb | Western Digital Green 2Tb | Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti | OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W | Thermaltake Commander MS-I case | OS X Yosemite | Dell Vostro 3550 Windows 10

Intel Xeon 1230 V2 | Gigabyte GA-H61M-S | Kingston 4Gb RAM 1333Mhz | Seagate 1TB  | Fractial Design Arc mini | Windows 10

not really

In the PS4 and Xbox One, game only can use up to 6 cores

the other 2 cores are for OS.

280 is quite a new GPU

but you can look for HD7950 Boost benchmarks as the 280 is a rebrand of the HD7950 Boost with higher clocks

you can opt for better rating low wattage PSU, pick a one with at least Gold Rating 500 Watts PSU but avoid Corsair RM series as they use cheap caps in their PSU

Seasonic or the CoolerMaster VSM series are good

yeah just read that somewhere aswell, but newer games such as battlefield are getting optimized for more cores, 

But still I think I should opt for the I5 because besides gaming it's better for most things I'll be doing. And I really can't afford the I7.

So for the graphics card, I think I should stick to the 2GB 270X as the 280 would exceed my budget. 

But maybe I could save some money on the motherboard to get an 280. but I'm not sure if should go below $100?

yeah just read that somewhere aswell, but newer games such as battlefield are getting optimized for more cores, 

But still I think I should opt for the I5 because besides gaming it's better for most things I'll be doing. And I really can't afford the I7.

So for the graphics card, I think I should stick to the 2GB 270X as the 280 would exceed my budget. 

But maybe I could save some money on the motherboard to get an 280. but I'm not sure if should go below $100?

i not sure what your max budget

but heres what i can come up with

you can opt for a cheaper case here

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Plus ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($123.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB Dual-X Video Card  ($199.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $849.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

i not sure what your max budget

but heres what i can come up with

you can opt for a cheaper case here

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Plus ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($123.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB Dual-X Video Card  ($199.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $849.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Thank you very much for this list, I guess this will be my build then :) maybe swap the case for something that I find mor aesthetically pleasing

This build costs around 640 Euros which is perfectly below the budget. The parts are also much cheaper than in my local tech store.

So again thanks!