moving vista

mc141

this is probably posted some where. i have an old oem copy of vista i bought for my maximus ii formula recently i put windows 7 non oem on it so i can upgrade to an ssd and video card as part of maxing out its non over clocked performance but now i have a an unused copy of windows i want to move to another computer that is still running windows xp is there a way to transfer it. cant seem to get a definate yess or no everywhere i read seems like they pretend to know the answer.

System builder versions of OS's are supposed to bind to the motherboard that they are first installed on and not be transferable to any other system. I say "supposed to" because if you call in to activate it on a different motherboard going through the prompts saying that it is the first and original machine that it was installed on and that it is not installed on any other computers, it will activate and you will not need to speak to a representative. I had spoken to a representative before and he basically said that as long as the key is only activated on a single machine at a time that it would be fine whether or not it was a retail or OEM version. This is what I was told by the representative, however, it is technically not within the terms of a system builder license. So what I take away from that is that while it is not supposed to be allowed, Microsoft's attitude towards it is that they don't really care. And since you're talking about an old product in Vista, I suspect that they really really don't care.