Software which displays current framerate?

joenewbie

I was watching one of Linus' videos where he was doing benchmarks on my videocard and I noticed at the top right hand of the game the current framerate displayed.  Is this native to the game or is there software I can install which will do the same?  My card can be overclocked so I want to do some tests to see what I presently get vs how hard I can push it. 

Thanks in advance. 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

fraps can do that (and probably what he was using)

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Either Fraps, Nvidia Shadowplay or MSI AfterBurner.

EDIT: Shadowplay and Afterburner's displays are far less annoying than Fraps with much more laid back colors. Shadowplays being a light green and MSI's being a smaller display and purple. Whereas FRAPS is a gigantic yellow display that can be quite unpleasing to look at.

You can use a recording software like fraps or even bandicam, but you can also use EVGA'S Precision X On-screen display. Not only does it show you FPS but it can also show GPU temp, load, VRAM usage, etc. If you configure it.

I was watching one of Linus' videos where he was doing benchmarks on my videocard and I noticed at the top right hand of the game the current framerate displayed.  Is this native to the game or is there software I can install which will do the same?  My card can be overclocked so I want to do some tests to see what I presently get vs how hard I can push it. 

Thanks in advance. 

fraps costs money tho

My card is an MSI, and I have Afterburner, guess I'll have to go to the help file to find which keys turn it on/off.  

Thanks for the fast response, much appreciated. 

fraps costs money tho

no it doesnt...

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

My card is an MSI, and I have Afterburner, guess I'll have to go to the help file to find which keys turn it on/off.  

Thanks for the fast response, much appreciated. 

You can use Shadowplay as well since you're using an Nvidia GPU. MSI Afterburner however is the best choice as it also can display GPU load and temperature.

Thanks in advance. 

EVGA Precision X, due to it having Riviera Statistics Turner which tells you everything in game 

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

no it doesnt...

it used to..

Fraps costs $37 

i cant confirm if its free now but thats what i paid for it 

EVGA Precision X, due to it having Riviera Statistics Turner which tells you everything in game 

Msi Afterburner has that as well

Msi Afterburner has that as well

I could never get it to work properly with MSI Afterburner

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

For some reason it's insisting I put the .exe file for the program I want to display the framerate in.   When I do, it still doesn't work, so I dunno if it's the fault of Steam in general or what.   Blah, no biggie in any case, it's not like I'm playing graphics intensive games that require me to push my limits anyway, I was just trying to figure out what those limits were.