Laptop Replacement

Sousuke

Hey Guys,

I need some advice,

After 8 Great years of service my 2006 MacBook Pro is getting rather stale, Mac OS X Snow Leopard is slow and its starting to lose compatibility due to the 32Bit Core Duo CPU.

So I've decided that Firstly a 15inch screen isn't really needed these days on normal laptops for work, I could easily use a 13inch laptop no problem making the 13inch MacBook Air's a very good option however something has chucked a spanner in the works.

As this is going to be a work/general light stuff machine I'm torn to go with either the 13inch MacBook Air (£849 for i5 Dual, 4GB RAM, 128GB Storage) Or the new Microsoft Surface 3 Pro (£849 for i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Storage PLUS another £109 for the keyboard cover = £958).

Do I stump up the extra £109 for the Surface or stick with the Mac as I'd rather the Mac however I'd like to have a flexible device like the Surface.

I am a Mac enthusiast however I don't mind Windows 8 on a tablet like device.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

I'd wait until the Macbook air has a retina display, which the rumors are starting up about.

You could get a Dell convertible laptop/tablet like Linus has, he seems to like it. I think he even said on the WAN show he prefferes it over his Surface and Macbook.

This:http://www.amazon.com/Dell-12-5-Inch-Convertible-Touchscreen-Ultrabook/dp/B004GAR91S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Because they are expensive in the UK ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Convertible-Ultrabook-Generation-i5-3317U-processor/dp/B008HZ1IWE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1156CGEBKD6R58N3MZF7

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

I'd wait until the Macbook air has a retina display, which the rumors are starting up about.

Will most certainly look at that :) 

Now that is rather tempting, double practically everything ... humm ...

EDIT: Seller has no feedback .... and isn't fulfilled by Amazon so I'll pass.

too%20good.png

Here is the thing.

If you think you'll use the pen for your needs, then the Surface Pro 3 is an excellent choice, as you have equipped the best of the best range of pen technologies available in an embed device like Surface Pro. It doesn't mean it's perfect at 100%, I am not saying that, but it is the best you can get, and its pretty darn good.

I have the Surface Pro 2, and this device is truly amazing, I use it for university and work.

The simple power of typing your notes with onenote, and switch in a sec to tablet mode, and use a good pen technology to draw a graph, diagram, formula, sketch, and such, and switch back to laptop mode, or remain in tablet mode for math and physics class, there is nothing that comes close to it. And I did my research deeply. Up to know, the Surface Pro line remains the best.

However, if you don't care about the pen, then get an ultrabook like the MacBook Air, or the Dell XPS 12, like what Linus have. You'll get more performance due to the cooler CPU (larger system, so it allows for a larger heatsink and fan), allowing it to use TurboBoost clocks more often and longer, and depending on what you pick as option, you can save money. Not to mention that computers form Dell, Lenovo and such are subsidies with what we call crapware, or bloatware, which are pre-installed software that acts as ads, allowing you to achieve a lower price point. The Surface Pro line, comes super clean, similarly to Apple computers. In addition, the larger device size, allows for independence antennas for wireless and Bluetooth, and even separate cards for both, and not face with some of the limitations of the Surface Pro 1, 2 and 3, where the 2.4GHz wireless antenna is shared with Bluetooth due to a complete lack of space (see teardown pictures, there is just no room), so if you connect a bluetooth device, your wireless on 2.4GHz gets a hit in performance, which might be an issue, if you download or stream HD content a lot using 2.4GHz band, and use a bluetooth device connected to it. If you use or have 5GHz wireless, or don't use Bluetooth (like me. I have a mouse, but it's 2.4GHz type, which I got as I find Bluetooth mouse to be extra shitty) then you don't need to worry about anything. You'll also get more USB ports, where teh Surface Pro 1, 2, 3, again, due to lack of space, can only have 1.

So, I highly recommend the Surface Pro 2 and 3. They are fantastic and powerful device. There is just no cheaping out inside (fast and low powered SSD (costs more), fast memory which is the max speed the CPU supports and low powered as well (LPDD3), same for the mSATA controller, powerful wireless, allowing you get great signal strength despite the power limitation of the device, and size (ie: wont' be like shitty netbooks of the days, is what I am saying, it will feel like a normal large laptop with a good wireless card), highest end available pen technology (Wacoms for Pro 1 and 2, and N-Trig for the Pro 3) and so on...) But, if you have no purpose for the pen, then this device will not fit your needs the best, much like it didn't with Linus.

Hope this helps.

Now that is rather tempting, double practically everything ... humm ...

EDIT: Seller has no feedback .... and isn't fulfilled by Amazon so I'll pass.

New, open box one on Ebay for pretty cheap, dealer has good rating and it has Ebay's money back guarantee. It's from America so I'm guessing there will be import charges? Even after that it should be cheaper than the other options I'd imagine. I'm in USA so it may show up differently for me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Dell-XPS-12-9Q33-Intel-i7-1-80Ghz-8Gb-Mem-256Gb-SSD-Win-8-Pro64-1920-X-1080-/201120760107?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item2ed3bb412b

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

As far as a Surface Pro 3 goes if you can do what I am going to do and access the student pricing then it's probably the best option, at £764 for the i5 one I am planning on getting it good value imo.

Here is the thing.

If you think you'll use the pen for your needs, then the Surface Pro 3 is an excellent choice, as you have equipped the best of the best range of pen technologies available in an embed device like Surface Pro. It doesn't mean it's perfect at 100%, I am not saying that, but it is the best you can get, and its pretty darn good.

I have the Surface Pro 2, and this device is truly amazing, I use it for university and work.

The simple power of typing your notes with onenote, and switch in a sec to tablet mode, and use a good pen technology to draw a graph, diagram, formula, sketch, and such, and switch back to laptop mode, or remain in tablet mode for math and physics class, there is nothing that comes close to it. And I did my research deeply. Up to know, the Surface Pro line remains the best.

However, if you don't care about the pen, then get an ultrabook like the MacBook Air, or the Dell XPS 12, like what Linus have. You'll get more performance due to the cooler CPU (larger system, so it allows for a larger heatsink and fan), allowing it to use TurboBoost clocks more often and longer, and depending on what you pick as option, you can save money. Not to mention that computers form Dell, Lenovo and such are subsidies with what we call crapware, or bloatware, which are pre-installed software that acts as ads, allowing you to achieve a lower price point. The Surface Pro line, comes super clean, similarly to Apple computers. In addition, the larger device size, allows for independence antennas for wireless and Bluetooth, and even separate cards for both, and not face with some of the limitations of the Surface Pro 1, 2 and 3, where the 2.4GHz wireless antenna is shared with Bluetooth due to a complete lack of space (see teardown pictures, there is just no room), so if you connect a bluetooth device, your wireless on 2.4GHz gets a hit in performance, which might be an issue, if you download or stream HD content a lot using 2.4GHz band, and use a bluetooth device connected to it. If you use or have 5GHz wireless, or don't use Bluetooth (like me. I have a mouse, but it's 2.4GHz type, which I got as I find Bluetooth mouse to be extra shitty) then you don't need to worry about anything. You'll also get more USB ports, where teh Surface Pro 1, 2, 3, again, due to lack of space, can only have 1.

So, I highly recommend the Surface Pro 2 and 3. They are fantastic and powerful device. There is just no cheaping out inside (fast and low powered SSD (costs more), fast memory which is the max speed the CPU supports and low powered as well (LPDD3), same for the mSATA controller, powerful wireless, allowing you get great signal strength despite the power limitation of the device, and size (ie: wont' be like shitty netbooks of the days, is what I am saying, it will feel like a normal large laptop with a good wireless card), highest end available pen technology (Wacoms for Pro 1 and 2, and N-Trig for the Pro 3) and so on...) But, if you have no purpose for the pen, then this device will not fit your needs the best, much like it didn't with Linus.

Hope this helps.

I think the pen isn't going to be used by myself to be honest,  however its the form factor that attracts me to the Surface Pro 3. Being able to use it as a tablet and a laptop is something I'd like to do however for £109 Extra ... its a hard sell to me as its an Extra £109 and second choice in Operating System.

Why can't apple release an iPad Pro or MacBook Pad or something like that :lol: Mind would be far too expensive me thinks :)

Anyway Thanks for all of your information as one of the best replies I've seen on a thread like this.

So yea, if you don't mind the limitation mention of the Surface Pro 3 for the form factor, then it is a fine. Usually people complain about the 1 USB port or something.

Apple can't make the iPad Pro, because MacOS would need to be redesigned to be more touch friendly, and they were against the challenge and the big risk that Microsoft is attacking where they are mixing both with Windows 8.

I do like the Surface Pro 3. I've liked the Pro 2, but the 3 fixes a lot of things. If I was buying a windows based laptop, it would probably be my front runner. It really is the definition of a tablet that replaces your laptop, No other one is as good in my opinion.