ubuntu phone

Caparo

i saw slicks video in the ubuntu phone operating system. and i have to say i am quite intersested in it.

does anyone know if you will have to buy a phone that has ubuntu phone pre-installed. or will they release a version you can install on your existing phone?

i hope so, then i will definetly be checking it out.

Well they used a Nexus 4 to show off the software and probably once it comes out people will find a way to root it to a nexus 4.

Ya. I am really excited about the Ubuntu phone, it looks pretty cool. But I can't really think of an advantage over Andriod, except for it just generally being nicer.

It is running a mobile (ARM) version of Linux, not the full thing right?

It will really depend on the app support for the platform, that goes for samsung and intels Tizen OS aswell.. :)

(Comming soon)

I am very interested in the ubuntu phone, and I hope we will be able to root and install on our current devices, buying a new phone with ubuntu only kind of defeats the purpose of how easily linux integrates onto everything.

Oh man can you imagine a dual boot android/ubuntu device.

And it was running the full version of ubuntu, the showcase guy said it uses the exact same version which is used on desktops.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

I am very interested in the ubuntu phone, and I hope we will be able to root and install on our current devices, buying a new phone with ubuntu only kind of defeats the purpose of how easily linux integrates onto everything.

Oh man can you imagine a dual boot android/ubuntu device.

And it was running the full version of ubuntu, the showcase guy said it uses the exact same version which is used on desktops.

So I can run my x86 programs on it? Then I can see the potential. But the performance?

Well they used a Nexus 4 to show off the software and probably once it comes out people will find a way to root it to a nexus 4.

They were using Galaxy Nexus, not Nexus 4. I own all 4 Nexus devices and can't wait to get my hands on the OS, it's said to be released on February 4 for Galaxy Nexus.

Im also really excited about the ubuntu phone! The thing with no buttons will take some time get used tho i think, its the first phone without a physical homebutton.

Wait...I thought they used the Galaxy Nexus?

I hope they can release it as a ROM or something so we can actually flash it on our Android phones. That way we get more even more flexibility.

I just wish the cell providers would let us activate any working phone no matter which OS or Model it was, I foresee Ubuntu being a special one off or order thing that will cost us more due to providers being such obtuse minded types. Imagine buying any Droid phone and installing which ever phone OS you wanted much like a PC, would so cool.

Yes I know there might be compatibility issues or limitations but much like my PC I buy it I can deal with any customizations, like overclocking :cool:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Im also really excited about the ubuntu phone! The thing with no buttons will take some time get used tho i think, its the first phone without a physical homebutton.
What about the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4? But without any buttons it looks interesting.

You can install Linux onto a rooted phone atm, and seeing as tho this Ubutnu Phone Os is using a full version of Ubuntu, it seems quite likely that we will be able to flash it on our android devies.

i still think it has a standby button

not sure if i would get one for my daily driver but the ui looks really intuitive/well designed.

I'm excited for new phone OS's in general.

Google please, make good phone.

Can't wait to check out the Ubunutu phone though!

You all know that it's not getting a final release until at least early 2014 right?

The Galaxy Nexus ROM they'll be releasing soon will almost certainly not be daily driver material anyway.

The only thing that will let Ubuntu Phone compete with the likes of Android is if somehow they get Android apps to work on it, otherwise it will just be another fail OS.

I think its a cool idea and will probably get one just to test it out.

The phone looks like a good idea, but what are the chances that they can get a decent app ecosystem when it comes out a year from now, just in the start of 2013 we have iOS, Android, Windows Phone and Blackberry 10. Coming soon we have not only Ubuntu, Firefox OS and Tizen. So it's quite a cramped market