Program to view webcam remotely?

orangefurball

Hello,

I have a webcam that I would like to use to keep an eye on my 3D printer while I'm gone. I do long prints sometimes that take 24-36hrs and I need to check on them from time to time.

I've been messing with noip.com but it never works, and I looked for other solutions that again, wouldn't work.

I just want to be able to view my camera feed from my phone or another PC. I'm lost!

Thanks

Orange Furball "Carbonation" - Bitfenix Prodigy (modded), Core i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB & 64GB SSD, 1TB HDD, HD 7870 GHz ED. Build Log HERE

Setup a iVideon server on your PC

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I don't know about different software to do this that doesn't run continually (you could run it to a live cam site and set it to private) but I think the easiest, best, and future proof (you'd be able to use it for other applications) would be to get a cheap ip camera. I'm sure they're cheaper in the US than Canada, but take a look at this http://www.ncix.com/detail/trendnet-tv-ip751wic-wireless-day-d7-79149-1083.htm

It comes with access to a cloud service to access your camera on your local network, over the internet, and downloadable iOS and android apps. Plug it in via wall wart, and connect it to either wifi or ethernet cable, set up passwords and address id and what not, and you don't need a dyndns service like noip.

Go to your favorite retailers website and search "ip camera" just make sure it has the features that you want (wifi or ethernet or both, free online management software, some come with a separate monitoring display (more for LAN, but I believe some can connect over internet)

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.