Functional Programming - Haskell

Tazman192

Was wondering if there was anybody out there who has learned the programming language Haskell?

It was part of my uni course in semester one last year (computer science major), and I just hated the language so much that I found it very difficult to engage in the lecturers and tutorials. To me, its sort of a "love it or hate it" language, and consequently, I failed the course (thankfully it's the only one I failed).

I'll be studying hard over the next few weeks for the resit sometime in August, which I hope to smash, but I want to ask people, if anybody - are there any good resources (websites or e-books) that you learned from that made it fun and engaging? I'll be going over all my tutorial work thoroughly to get some more first hand practice, as well as mock exams when I've solidified my knowledge on the course material.

I know where I went wrong last year - I just didn't put any effort into it, and hopefully I'll change that around, with the help of some resources that people here could recommend.

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

The thing with the official haskell website is that its sooooo dull and depressing to read. The joys of being forced to learn a language that has no use in the real world....

The funny thing is, our lecturer showed us a video from one of the language developers stating that haskell is simply useless. On the last day. Dick move.

Thanks for the resources anyhow, I'll look through them when I feel motivated to study :(

- the video if anyone is interested..

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

The thing with the official haskell website is that its sooooo dull and depressing to read. The joys of being forced to learn a language that has no use in the real world....

The funny thing is, our lecturer showed us a video from one of the language developers stating that haskell is simply useless. On the last day. Dick move.

Thanks for the resources anyhow, I'll look through them when I feel motivated to study :(

- the video if anyone is interested..

I will watch that video, but did you use http://tryhaskell.org/ I love it a lot

I will watch that video, but did you use http://tryhaskell.org/ I love it a lot

Yeah, but it's really basic for what my course covers. I've downloaded emacs and haskell mode to code.

Yeah, but it's really basic for what my course covers. I've downloaded emacs and haskell mode to code.

yea I didn't know how detailed you needed

yea I didn't know how detailed you needed

It starts off basic (list comprehension and recursion), and we go up to monads.

It starts off basic (list comprehension and recursion), and we go up to monads.

ok