290X's Underclocking themselves

HalcyonKnight
Go to solution Solved by HalcyonKnight,

Try setting the clock speeds to a referance R9 290X and try valley benchmark again. It shouldn't crash.

I did that and it crashed again, the weird thing is one of the cards turned off completely for a few minutes and came back working normally? I don't know what just happened but I can play titanfall and run Valley perfectly...

Thanks for the help everyone!

I tried to play titanfall today and when I started I got this horrible lag and stutter going on so I decided to disable crossfire and I still get 29 frames per second its horrible. I check Msi Afterburner and its set to the lowest setting and it wont change, After using amd overdrive and getting the speeds back it starts stuttering and glitchiness is still there. Can anyone help me?

Edit: I got Theif running in crossfire and it barely hits 13 fps average and afterburner shows the cards are being pushed to their limits. One card has elpidosa memory and the other hynix.

Specs: 

4770k @ 4.2Ghz Cpu

HyperX Fury 1866 ram

Z97-A Mobo

Ax1200i Psu

2x R9 290X's Windforce edition

They're both chilling at 45-50. Theyre Windforce editions with a mild overclock

you got to use the quote button when talking to people it gives them a message 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

I would remove one of the cards and run with one to perform a test to see if it occured again, and if not, swap out the card and test the other one on its own.

Because I don't know what's causing the issue off the top of my head I'd want to rule out hardware fault first and foremost.

I took each card out and ran them separately and when I benchmark them with theif they both ran fine but when I put them together they go crazy and I get some weird lines on my screen and I have to restart the system. I did notice in gpu z that one had hynix memory and the other elpida. Is that the problem? I had this system for a little over 3 weeks. 

I took each card out and ran them separately and when I benchmark them with theif they both ran fine but when I put them together they go crazy and I get some weird lines on my screen and I have to restart the system. I did notice in gpu z that one had hynix memory and the other elpida. Is that the problem? I had this system for a little over 3 weeks. 

check and make sure that your motherboard supports SLI and Crossfire.

Try different PCIE slots, try a different Bridge and lastly try a different motherboard entirely. (you can go to a repair shop and im sure they will be happy to let you throw them in a test bench for no charge, i know we would)

IF all of this fails to get you an improvement you may want to try new cards.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

most importantly

I need you mobo model so that I can give a quick check

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

check and make sure that your motherboard supports SLI and Crossfire.

Try different PCIE slots, try a different Bridge and lastly try a different motherboard entirely. (you can go to a repair shop and im sure they will be happy to let you throw them in a test bench for no charge, i know we would)

IF all of this fails to get you an improvement you may want to try new cards.

I removed one card and tested them individually and they both work, its when they're in crossfire they start to go crazy. And there is no real computer parts store around Charlotte,NC I could go to. 

Try a different testing program. Try Valley benchmark or sth. else. Some cards clock down when they are get load from MSI AB to prevent damage. My GTX 580 does that.

Try a different program.

who cares...

Try a different testing program. Try Valley benchmark or sth. else. Some cards clock down when they are get load from MSI AB to prevent damage. My GTX 580 does that.

Try a different program.

I tried to load Valley and it would crash on start up, I reloaded Titanfall and look at afterburner settings and I found that the memory usage is at its limit and I was only in the menu.

I tried to load Valley and it would crash on start up, I reloaded Titanfall and look at afterburner settings and I found that the memory usage is at its limit and I was only in the menu.

Are they overclocked? What resolution do you play at? That the VRAM is full doesn't have to mean much. Many games just utilize all the vram that they can get, even if it's just for storing textures for later.

who cares...

Over clock of 1100/1375 and I game at 1440p

Try setting the clock speeds to a referance R9 290X and try valley benchmark again. It shouldn't crash.

who cares...

I did that and it crashed again, the weird thing is one of the cards turned off completely for a few minutes and came back working normally? I don't know what just happened but I can play titanfall and run Valley perfectly...

I have too less experience with Xfire but that sounds sketchy. You may wanna google that behaviour

who cares...