So I was wondering. My system so far has 16GB (8GB x2) 1333MHz Corsair Value Select and I've been wondering if Is it possible to get, perhaps a second pair of DIMMs, but a Vengeance (8GB x2) 1866MHz. I know it is not recommended, but I'm planning to get 32GB 1866MHz in the future, but till that moment comes, the best I can do is get this two DIMMs. 

I used to have a Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600MHz but when attempted to put these three DIMMs together on my Z77X UD5H my system didn't even turn on. I assumed it was because of the different memories, for when I remove the 4GB one It worked flawlessly. And on my previous build, with a P8P67 Deluxe all the exact three memories worked fine. I guess it was because of the MemOK function of Asus. 

Well my question is if my system could work with 2 different channel memories installed. 16GB 1333MHz (8GB x2) and 16GB 1866MHz (8GB x2). And how about if I want to use 3 memories instead of 4, cause in the manual only says in which slot to put them when you have 1, 2 or 4 DIMMs.

It might work, but you'd be running them all at 1333MHz. Seriously wouldn't recommend it. If you're upgrading the memory, buy all of it at once. 

Don't do it.

Wow that bad it is? Well I guess the other option is replacing the current 2 dimms for the new ones

I wouldn't recommend it too. I'm running 8GBs of 1600Mhz ram alongside with another set of G.Skill 8GB 1866Mhz ram(set at 1600Mhz for stability purposes).

Wow that bad it is? Well I guess the other option is replacing the current 2 dimms for the new ones

Oh if you do that I'll take your current set for free if you want :D

I'll pay shipping of course!

Lol...

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

do not listen to these guys, you can match any memory you want just keep in mind they will run at the speed that the slowest RAM in your system can operate at, wich in your case in 1333mhz...if you want faster RAM you'd have to change them all, but if all you're after is capacity then you are free to go with whatever DDR3 you want to use. You can have 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 dimm's installed it will not have any major impact on performance, i highly doubt you have a system that can make use of quad-channel memory configuration unless you are on an high-end LGA2011 motherboard wich i don't think you are cause otherwise you wouldnt be using value select 1333mhz RAM in the first place..

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

do not listen to these guys, you can match any memory you want just keep in mind they will run at the speed that the slowest RAM in your system can operate at, wich in your case in 1333mhz...if you want faster RAM you'd have to change them all, but if all you're after is capacity then you are free to go with whatever DDR3 you want to use. You can have 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 dimm's installed it will not have any major impact on performance, i highly doubt you have a system that can make use of quad-channel memory configuration unless you are on an high-end LGA2011 motherboard wich i don't think you are cause otherwise you wouldnt be using value select 1333mhz RAM in the first place..

Don't listen to any of us? We never said it wouldn't work, heck I'm mixing ram right now..... we just didn't recommend it because it may create instability issues. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Don't listen to any of us? We never said it wouldn't work, heck I'm mixing ram right now..... we just didn't recommend it because it may create instability issues. 

it won't as long as he's not trying to push the value RAM faster than 1333mhz as i mentionned...so as long as he run all the dimms at 1333mhz it will be perfectly fine.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

it won't as long as he's not trying to push the value RAM faster than 1333mhz as i mentionned...so as long as he run all the dimms at 1333mhz it will be perfectly fine.

I thought we already made that apparent. 

I thought we already made that apparent. 

alright then, but that's not what i understood after reading through the posts...sorry then. But i wanted to make it clear that there would be absolutely no issues going with whatever RAM he wants as long as it's DDR3 and going with a 3 dimm configuration won,t change anything either.

alright then, but that's not what i understood after reading through the posts...sorry then. But i wanted to make it clear that there would be absolutely no issues going with whatever RAM he wants as long as it's DDR3 and going with a 3 dimm configuration won,t change anything either.

Oh well that's... interesting. So DO can mix the memories but they'll run as high as the lowest one. I got that clear now. Thank you guys, but that doesn't solve (i assume) the issue I had when I put the 16GB 1333MHz with the 4GB 1600MHz and my system didn't turn on. Shouldn't I've had 20GB running at 1333MHz at least? Or I needed another 4GB to do that?

And my motherboard has a 1155 socket with a Sandy Bridge CPU, so do the math. By the way, those 1333MHz dimms were gift, so I couldn't complain about that :/

Oh well that's... interesting. So DO can mix the memories but they'll run as high as the lowest one. I got that clear now. Thank you guys, but that doesn't solve (i assume) the issue I had when I put the 16GB 1333MHz with the 4GB 1600MHz and my system didn't turn on. Shouldn't I've had 20GB running at 1333MHz at least? Or I needed another 4GB to do that?

And my motherboard has a 1155 socket with a Sandy Bridge CPU, so do the math. By the way, those 1333MHz dimms were gift, so I couldn't complain about that :/

have you tested the 4GB 1600MHZ by themselves to make sure they where good running RAM? maybe they are faulty? if they do work pop in the bios and make sure it's set to run at 1333MHZ MANUALY, not AUTO...set ram speed to 1333MHZ and then shut off your PC, install all the RAM in the board and turn it on..

have you tested the 4GB 1600MHZ by themselves to make sure they where good running RAM? maybe they are faulty? if they do work pop in the bios and make sure it's set to run at 1333MHZ MANUALY, not AUTO...set ram speed to 1333MHZ and then shut off your PC, install all the RAM in the board and turn it on..

Oh, I'm pretty sure the 4GB DIMM works fine. Before getting the 16GB 1333MHz that was the only memory my system run with. Well I'll check that again, but as far as I can remember, the motherboard didn't even turn on, so I couldn't even get into the BIOS to do that so. I tested the three memories one by one and separately work just fine. The problem is when they're together. Even 8GB (x1) plus the 4GB one worked well together, but not the three ones. That's why I thought perhaps getting another 4GB 1600mhz is what I needed.

Oh, I'm pretty sure the 4GB DIMM works fine. Before getting the 16GB 1333MHz that was the only memory my system run with. Well I'll check that again, but as far as I can remember, the motherboard didn't even turn on, so I couldn't even get into the BIOS to do that so. I tested the three memories one by one and separately work just fine. The problem is when they're together. Even 8GB (x1) plus the 4GB one worked well together, but not the three ones. That's why I thought perhaps getting another 4GB 1600mhz is what I needed.

it might be then...what motherboard are you using exactly?

also have you made sure you where populating the dimm slots in the right order according to your motherboard manual?

it might be then...what motherboard are you using exactly?

also have you made sure you where populating the dimm slots in the right order according to your motherboard manual?

Mine is a Z77X UD5H Gigabyte. I tried different slots to do so, but in my manual only says in which order to put them if 1, 2 o 4 DIMMs, nothing about 3.