Is the gtx 820m worth it?

gilm0re3

My sister wants to buy a lenovo z50 laptop and is bound and determined on getting the model that has a 1080p panel and a gtx 820m 2gb. Her reasoning is that she will use it for photo editing and some video editing for her major in veterinary or biology (she's still in high school) (she claims a degree in vet or bio will require video editing and rendering; her reasoning for the g card). I've been trying to tell her that getting the card isn't worth it, it won't make her computer faster, and that the integrated graphics should be plenty for doing everything she needs to (and thinks she needs to). So give me some help. Is the card worth it or not? I want to show this to her later so some explanation for your answer would help me a lot. Thanks!

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

My sister wants to buy a lenovo z50 laptop and is bound and determined on getting the model that has a 1080p panel and a gtx 820m 2gb. Her reasoning is that she will use it for photo editing and some video editing for her major in veterinary or biology (she's still in high school) (she claims a degree in vet or bio will require video editing and rendering; her reasoning for the g card). I've been trying to tell her that getting the card isn't worth it, it won't make her computer faster, and that the integrated graphics should be plenty for doing everything she needs to (and thinks she needs to). So give me some help. Is the card worth it or not? I want to show this to her later so some explanation for your answer would help me a lot. Thanks!

Well the GTX 820M is on par with Intel HD 5100 IGP, in other words it sucks.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-820M.108477.0.html

She'd be better off getting either a strong processor or an APU for a low-mid processor and low-mid IGP

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

don't think its worth 

integrated graphs are really getting better in 5000 version 

that gpu is really really low end , really

Edit:in other words it sucks... a api would be nice for that 

Nope.

also GT 820M* not GTX

not even gt i guess its geforce 820

It's called GT 820m, not Gtx 820m, the x is stand for extreme, which is X50 or above most of the time, like Gtx 760m. Or, Gtx 850m. i don't know about much about gpu in term of editing, but in term of specs and gaming, 820m even worse than my GT555m, which is a mobile gpu from 2011. http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GT-555M-vs-GeForce-820M. Unless it is really cheap, I don't think it is worth, at least get something with at least 750m, or 840m

-Desktop: Asrock H81M-HDS R2.0, Pentium G3258 4.2 ghz OC, Palit GTX 750 ti StormX, Kingston HyperX Fury 1600 4gb, Seagate Baracuda
-Laptop: MSI GE620DX, i72670QM 2.2 Ghz, 8GB 1333mhz Ram, GT555M 2GB DDR3.
-Gaming peripherals: Razer Deathadder 2013, Superlux HD 681 Evo Razer Goliathus Control Medium sizeCm Storm Quickfire TK white edition.

not even gt i guess its geforce 820

GeForce GT to be exact. 

-Desktop: Asrock H81M-HDS R2.0, Pentium G3258 4.2 ghz OC, Palit GTX 750 ti StormX, Kingston HyperX Fury 1600 4gb, Seagate Baracuda
-Laptop: MSI GE620DX, i72670QM 2.2 Ghz, 8GB 1333mhz Ram, GT555M 2GB DDR3.
-Gaming peripherals: Razer Deathadder 2013, Superlux HD 681 Evo Razer Goliathus Control Medium sizeCm Storm Quickfire TK white edition.

Not really the question but integrated graphics/APU (I quite like the price to performance of the AMD A10) would be a good fit for a very good price!