My first custom cooling loop.

Hello,

I'm planning on building my first liquid cooling loop. I am asking for your help because i do not know if everything is ok and if i have everything. I would also like to know how to maintain my loop from time to time. And am a total beginner in this so pros and cons are welcome to. I would also ask of you if you could help me organise the loop order (i will add a picture of my case). I will use an i7 4790K with an R9 290 both overclocked.

Water cooling components:

Note: EKWB is the only shop that sells components in my country (Slovenia)

Case: Cooler Master CM 690 III Window

Radiator: 2x EK-CoolStream PE 240 50€

CPU block: EK-Supremacy Clean CSQ - Nickel 67€

Res/pump: EK-D5 Vario X-RES 140 (incl. pump) 132€

EK UV Blue EKoolant 7€

Tube PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT- Crystal Clear (3/8" - 5/8") 22€

EK CSQ Compression Fitting Black Nickel 5€

GPU block: EK-FC R9-290X (original CSQ) 104€

Fans: I do not know which one to buy since Corsair SP has too high of a price (15€ a price)

Thanks for your help :D

post-86486-0-04760600-1403293077.jpg

post-86486-0-04760600-1403293077.jpg

1. you should get a bigger case for WCing

2. Fans? Scythe GT's are the best in existence. they're worth the price

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Are those front drive bays removable. I would put a radiator in the top and front. Then see if the pump and res will fit in between the GPU and rad. So I would get a 30mm thick radiator in the front and then a thicker one in the top. 

Order:

Pump

gpu

cpu

top rad

front rad

res

pump

Have the fittings for the front rad on the top and the fittings for the top rad on the right.

Can you remove the very top bays? The run from rad to rad would be difficult if you can't..

If you can't I would go:

pump

front rad

gpu

cpu

top rad

res

pump

Have the fittings of the front rad on the bottom and the fittings on the top rad on the right. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Corsair SP fans aren't brilliant. If you can get them, NB BlackSilent Pros are good. 

I agree with the case. It will help a fair bit, but is not completely necessary. As for the fans, he's holding off buying Corsair's SP fans because they're too much, so I'd say GTs are out of the question (they're also very hard to find)

Unfortunately I have already bought the case,.. but it can still host two 240mm rads just without the top HDD cage

Corsair SP fans aren't brilliant. If you can get them, NB BlackSilent Pros are good. 

I agree with the case. It will help a fair bit, but is not completely necessary. As for the fans, he's holding off buying Corsair's SP fans because they're too much, so I'd say GTs are out of the question (they're also very hard to find)

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B001CSH8ZY/?tag=pcp05-21

Unfortunately I have already bought the case,.. but it can still host two 240mm rads just without the top HDD cage

You could remove all the HDD cages and get a few of these for your hard drives http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9358/hdc-69/35_HDD_to_525_Drive_Bay_Universal_Adapter_Bracket-35525.html?tl=g34c273s852

What about a bay res and pump combo? 

Bay res

to bottom fitted radiator in the front

gpu

cpu

right fitted radiator on top

back to bay res?

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Are those front drive bays removable. I would put a radiator in the top and front. Then see if the pump and res will fit in between the GPU and rad. So I would get a 30mm thick radiator in the front and then a thicker one in the top. 

Order:

Pump

gpu

cpu

top rad

front rad

res

pump

Have the fittings for the front rad on the top and the fittings for the top rad on the right.

Can you remove the very top bays? The run from rad to rad would be difficult if you can't..

If you can't I would go:

pump

front rad

gpu

cpu

top rad

res

pump

Have the fittings of the front rad on the bottom and the fittings on the top rad on the right. 

Yes, both cages are removable and can be set a bit more in to the case (the bottom one) to make more room. With the top HDD cage removed and the bottom one set one position behind it gives me the room to put two 120mm fans in front of the case and then space between to put in a 55mm dual rad , same on the top but just till the 45mm thickness of the rad so there's room for the two fans till hitting the mobo. Also in this review they said it's pretty spacious  

and it is when you see it irl, i tought it was small as well till i saw it.

Exactly. They've got a massive wait to get them, they're more expensive and he'll probably have to pay a fortune for shipping. They're brilliant fans, but for someone who's (assuming) on a budget, they're not a realistic option. 

Yes i am on a budget and would like to stay below 520€, i could do a bit more if there was no other solution. the upper specs i wrote are about 480€ without the fans

Yes, both cages are removable and can be set a bit more in to the case (the bottom one) to make more room. With the top HDD cage removed and the bottom one set one position behind it gives me the room to put two 120mm fans in front of the case and then space between to put in a 55mm dual rad , same on the top but just till the 45mm thickness of the rad so there's room for the two fans till hitting the mobo. Also in this review they said it's pretty spacious  

and it is when you see it irl, i tought it was small as well till i saw it.

HMM

Where would you mount the res in that though. Thats the problem/

HMM

Where would you mount the res in that though. Thats the problem/

I was thinking on top of the bottom HDD cage since it's closest and EK includes a mount or something like that I think.

I was thinking on top of the bottom HDD cage since it's closest

but then you couldn't mount the rad...right?

but then you couldn't mount the rad...right?

I could cuz the whole HDD cage is set one position back giving enough space i think ( look at the video from 4:00 )

I could cuz the whole HDD cage is set one position back giving enough space i think ( look at the video from 3:58 )

With 25mm thick fans and a 30mm rad you have 2.1 inches thick of radiator/fan. That only gives you another 2 inches according to the video. It would be extremely tight, if it would fit at all... 

With 25mm thick fans and a 30mm rad you have 2.1 inches thick of radiator/fan. That only gives you another 2 inches according to the video. It would be extremely tight, if it would fit at all... 

Well EK includes their EK-UNI Holder  for the D5 pump/res combo and could mount it on the side towards the PSU since there is more space and would just dangle ;) from the bottom HDD drive,... if you know what do i mean 

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-uni-holder-d5-v2.html

EDIT: The only problem is that then it would be feeding the res/pump through the top port

Well EK includes their EK-UNI Holder  for the D5 pump/res combo and could mount it on the side towards the PSU since there is more space and would just dangle ;) from the bottom HDD drive,... if you know what do i mean 

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-uni-holder-d5-v2.html

EDIT: The only problem is that then it would be feeding the res/pump through the top port

Don't feed through the top port. I had to drain and everything when building mine because i just couldn't get the air out that way.

The rad wouldn't be too stable just attached to the bottom drive cage? I was talking about mounting it in the front but it wouldn't fit in between the drive cage and front panel. 

Don't feed through the top port. I had to drain and everything when building mine because i just couldn't get the air out that way.

The rad wouldn't be too stable just attached to the bottom drive cage? I was talking about mounting it in the front but it wouldn't fit in between the drive cage and front panel. 

Have you not seen the video? Under the front mesh bezel there's room for the fans ( it has included 200mm fan but can mount 2x 120 or 2x 140 ones ). After taking of the upper HDD cage and moving the bottom HDD cage back it gives 55mm of room between the 200mm included fan and the bottom HDD cage. The rad is not mounted on the HDD cage, it's mounted on the fan mounts and fans as i have said they are in between the front mesh getting air in and pushing it trough the housing. I just went and did that and ther is plenty of room left (17mm) after putting the rad in. So it would be from inside to outside of the case in this order: bottom HDD cage->17mm space-> EKWB PE 240 rad-> case fan mountings (housing)-> 2x 120mm fans-> front mesh bezel.-> out :). Now for the res/pump combo I will buy EK-RES Holder http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs-and-acc/reservoir-acc/ek-res-x3-holder-60mm-2pcs.html%C2'> mount the rad on the back side drilling holes in the case and then fitting the pump in the bottom just like Goshujin has shown in the picture.

Have you not seen the video? Under the front mesh bezel there's room for the fans ( it has included 200mm fan but can mount 2x 120 or 2x 140 ones ). After taking of the upper HDD cage and moving the bottom HDD cage back it gives 55mm of room between the 200mm included fan and the bottom HDD cage. The rad is not mounted on the HDD cage, it's mounted on the fan mounts and fans as i have said they are in between the front mesh getting air in and pushing it trough the housing. I just went and did that and ther is plenty of room left (17mm) after putting the rad in. So it would be from inside to outside of the case in this order: bottom HDD cage->17mm space-> EKWB PE 240 rad-> case fan mountings (housing)-> 2x 120mm fans-> front mesh bezel.-> out :). Now for the res/pump combo I will buy EK-RES Holder mount the rad on the back side drilling holes in the case and then fitting the pump in the bottom just like Goshujin has shown in the picture.

well I watched the whole video and I guess I missed a lot. Good luck on this project.

well I watched the whole video and I guess I missed a lot. Good luck on this project.

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it. I would like to ask you one more question, that is how to maintain my loop. Do i have to change the liquid every few months, the tubes, cleaning rads or how does it go?

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it. I would like to ask you one more question, that is how to maintain my loop. Do i have to change the liquid every few months, the tubes, cleaning rads or how does it go?

I haven't had my loop long enough to tell you