AF140 vs SP120

Hello, Been thinking of building my first water cooling loop for my CPU (And maybe GPU in the future) I will be upgrading to this from my Corsair H80i. I was wondering how a 240mm Rad with Corsair SP120's would compare against a 280mm Rad with Corsair AF140's?

I already own 2x AF140's and 2x SP120's, Both Quiet Editions. I will be using a push or pull configuration with a 30-45mm Rad in the top my case, thanks :)

I would grab some noctua fans and replace those corsair fans.

Anyway, its a hard call as to which one would be better.

I would say the 120 SP fans would perform better though.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

SP are for static pressure- rads, heatsinks, etc

AF are Air flow- general case fans

Hmm

I would grab some noctua fans and replace those corsair fans.

Anyway, its a hard call as to which one would be better.

I would say the 120 SP fans would perform better though.

Hmm, that's what i was thinking. If i had a Rad with lower PPI, so that the pressure of the Fans wouldn't make a large difference; would the AF140's with larger surface area give more heat dissipation? Thanks.

SP are for static pressure- rads, heatsinks, etc

AF are Air flow- general case fans

It depends on the FPI of the radiator.

Like I said, its a hard call.

It is not such a fine line between a radiator and a non radiator fan.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Hmm

Hmm, that's what i was thinking. If i had a Rad with lower PPI, so that the pressure of the Fans wouldn't make a large difference; would the AF140's with larger surface area give more heat dissipation? Thanks.

FPI*

And yes you are right, that's why its such a hard call. :/

If I were you I would get the 140, at a later point you could upgrade the fans.

FPI*

And yes you are right, that's why its such a hard call. :/

If I were you I would get the 140, at a later point you could upgrade the fans.

To many Personal Protection Insurance adverts on the TV :D

I think i will go for the AF140's and depending on the performance... Upgrade later on.  Thanks Ghost :)

To many Personal Protection Insurance adverts on the TV :D

I think i will go for the AF140's and depending on the performance... Upgrade later on.  Thanks Ghost :)

No, just get noctua A140 fans now, dont buy cheap now and upgrade later, it will be more expensive!

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

No, just get noctua A140 fans now, dont buy cheap now and upgrade later, it will be more expensive!

He has the AF140s already. :o

Hmm

buzzzzzzzzzzzz.. wrong thinking.. pressure is everything

airdeano

you want static pressure. Which is where the SP120's are good. They perform almost identically to NF-F12's and cost half as much

for 140mm rad fans id go with XSPC 140mm Rad fans, Swiftech helix's, Prolimatech Blue Vortex 140mm, or Phobya Nano G-silents

Edit: for to add in AP141's :blink:

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt

for 140mm rad fans id go with XSPC 140mm Rad fans, Swiftech helix's, Prolimatech Blue Vortex 140mm, or Phobya Nano G-silents

Edit: for to add in AP141's :blink:

depending on location, i'd add BGears B-Blaster 140 to that list. under-volt brilliantly and have

monster sp (3.50mm/h2o @ 1800rpm).

airdeano

depending on location, i'd add BGears B-Blaster 140 to that list. under-volt brilliantly and have

monster sp (3.50mm/h2o @ 1800rpm).

airdeano

Saw your frozen CPU review, and since im in the market for 140mm fans, do you know if they are louder than fractals at 7v and if they move more air ?

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt

buzzzzzzzzzzzz.. wrong thinking.. pressure is everything

airdeano

Really? A low FPI rad isn't that restrictive is it? Sure it won't be as effective as an SP fan but it will shift air though the rad quickly enough for it to be better than a 120mm rad over a 140mm rad, won't it?

Really? A low FPI rad isn't that restrictive is it? Sure it won't be as effective as an SP fan but it will shift air though the rad quickly enough for it to be better than a 120mm rad over a 140mm rad, won't it?

Well To put it simply, even a Low FPI rad is restrictive enough to make low SP on a fan a problem, even front filters on cases can cut the CFM of a fan with good static pressure by a 1/3 or a 1/2 of its open air CFM.

Well To put it simply, even a Low FPI rad is restrictive enough to make low SP on a fan a problem, even front filters on cases can cut the CFM of a fan with good static pressure by a 1/3 or a 1/2 of its open air CFM.

True but will that difference make up for the fact that it is a 280mm rad which is 36% bigger than the 240mm. So therefore as long as the airflow of the 140mm fan is 73% of the airflow of the 120mm fan then its fine.

But you have to work out the airflow per cm^2 of the rad which would have to be the same for them to perform the same. And that I can't be bothered to work out.

Plus, he can always upgrade from the AF fan on the 140 to an SP fan.

Saw your frozen CPU review, and since im in the market for 140mm fans, do you know if they are louder than fractals at 7v and if they move more air ?

the R2 @ 7v has no air-flow.. kinda like a laughing hard-pee

the BGears B-Blaster 140 is louder @7v than a R2 @ 12v but they move 6times the air @ 7v

over a R2 fan @ 12v. no contest. I don't use fan controllers, but if one were to notch the voltage

lower to 6v i'd say the Blaster 140 would be the fan to use. the akasa is close, too, but has a "chop"

noise that is amplified when installed on a radiator.

airdeano

Hmm, i think i am going to go for the 140's and find a really low FPI Rad. Thanks everyone :)

when it runs hot, you'll know what to do..

airdeano

when it runs hot, you'll know what to do..

airdeano

Blow really hard on it?

Blow really hard on it?

sp120pe hard or nf-f12 hard? LOL

airdeano

sp120pe hard or nf-f12 hard? LOL

airdeano

Or Deltas? That would probably do it.

Oooh..OOOHH..got some deltas..keeps my parrots in the air..and they never have to leave their cages... :P

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..