Anyone studying mechanical engineering?

1_thing

So today in class we were talking about what we were going to do for jobs and stuff.

It was boring so I started searching courses I might want to do at university.

I stumbled upon mechanical engineering and thought it looked cool!

So does anyone do this??? What's it like??? What should I do to get in??

Thing

if u r a computer enthusiast then go for computer science only...when it comes to engineering dont think about wats cool... :)

Did my BA in mechanical Eng. Been working in consulting for 5 years. What do you want to know precisely ?

Spoiler

if u r a computer enthusiast then go for computer science only...when it comes to engineering dont think about wats cool... :)

I like computers but I took product design and wanted to go more this route!

Thing

The grammar and punctuation you used makes me want to base my life off of every word (or single character in your case) that you type.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

The grammar and punctuation you used makes me want to base my life off of every word (or single character in your case) that you type.

y..??

Did my BA in mechanical Eng. Been working in consulting for 5 years. What do you want to know precisely ?

Well what subjects did you do????

And what sort of stuff have you been doing on the course???

Thing

I like computers but I took product design and wanted to go more this route!

Thing

its on u... but thats my opinion...

Well what subjects did you do????

And what sort of stuff have you been doing on the course???

Thing

Basically, the mechanical engineering bachelor (varies between countries, universities, but generally) comprises of science and math classes. As a general rule, mechanical engineering is the study of how thing interact with each other and a portrait of how they are at a macroscopic level. If you have a deep rooted curiosity for science, this is your field. You have to posses good aptitudes in math and generally, be willing to work HARD.

You'll study :

- Static, dynamic and vibration physics

- Statitics, linear algebra and advanced calculus

- thermodynamics

- resistance of materials

- machine elements

- hydraulic and pneumatic systems

- Software assisted design

- a little procedural coding

Basically, you'll study how the world works in our common relative view of it. You won't wander in the atomic or spacial ranges. You'll study a broad spectrum of fields and application to the same math and once you progress with the bachelor's, and later with your specialized line of work, you'll have tools for designing, reviewing, approving, giving opinions, ... of various designs whatever they may be.

Mechanical engineering is so broad that I can't tell you what your profession will be like. There's mechanical engineering in plane design, car design, sheet metal machining optimization, calibration of multi-axis machining tools, design and construction of flight simulators, virtual assembly of auto parts for software crash tests, project management (cost, scope, ... review on various engineering projects), ...

If you want to get in, chose a good university and start studying and get good grades, and only good grades. Take this seriously, totally worth it. I see you're in England. Nothingham University is pretty good from what I hear. Also, start saving up. Work during summers, get a savings account and chip in, talk to your parents about your interest for science. In other words : MAN UP BIATCH

Spoiler

Basically, the mechanical engineering bachelor (varies between countries, universities, but generally) comprises of science and math classes. As a general rule, mechanical engineering is the study of how thing interact with each other and a portrait of how they are at a macroscopic level. If you have a deep rooted curiosity for science, this is your field. You have to posses good aptitudes in math and generally, be willing to work HARD.

You'll study :

- Static, dynamic and vibration physics

- Statitics, linear algebra and advanced calculus

- thermodynamics

- resistance of materials

- machine elements

- hydraulic and pneumatic systems

- Software assisted design

- a little procedural coding

Basically, you'll study how the world works in our common relative view of it. You won't wander in the atomic or spacial ranges. You'll study a broad spectrum of fields and application to the same math and once you progress with the bachelor's, and later with your specialized line of work, you'll have tools for designing, reviewing, approving, giving opinions, ... of various designs whatever they may be.

Mechanical engineering is so broad that I can't tell you what your profession will be like. There's mechanical engineering in plane design, car design, sheet metal machining optimization, calibration of multi-axis machining tools, design and construction of flight simulators, virtual assembly of auto parts for software crash tests, project management (cost, scope, ... review on various engineering projects), ...

If you want to get in, chose a good university and start studying and get good grades, and only good grades. Take this seriously, totally worth it. I see you're in England. Nothingham University is pretty good from what I hear. Also, start saving up. Work during summers, get a savings account and chip in, talk to your parents about your interest for science. In other words : MAN UP BIATCH

cool thanks!!

I'm a MechE. I'm sure someone here can sympathize with me as to how badly vibrations class sucked...

Anyway, the field is broad - extremely so. You'd be surprised how many things surrounding you are from a sub-discipline of mechanical engineering. You can become anything from a Maintenance Manager to an Aeronautical Engineer at Boeing, all while staying in the mechanical skill set.

I'm currently a Process/Project Engineer. I work on designing and implementing upgrades to our current production line. I do quite a bit of AutoCAD and AutoDesk Inventor modeling. I also work with contractors to actually build and install parts that my team can't manufacture in our own maintenance department. I also do some lab work, but that's far more process based and not necessarily something most MechE's would get into.

As a nice sidenote, the average annual salary for a new college graduate with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering is ~$75,000.

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.