H100i clearance issues?

Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

in R4 factory mounts you have this:

hcMN8.jpg

if clearance is an issue, you can utilize the mesh holes for secondary mounting:

900x900px-LL-4ad45b39_E-P1100929.jpeg

if you still have clearance issues, then you'll have to drill new outboard mounting

holes for the radiator

Hello,

I'm putting together a new build using a h100i to cool my cpu. The problem is the heatsinks on the MSI Z97 Gaming 3(http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z97_GAMING_3.html)are quite high and I'm going to be using the Fractal Design Define R4 case and I fear that the heatsink located at the top of the board will cause clearance issues.

I intend to have a similar config to what's in the attached image.

Has anyone had problems mounting the H100i w/ the MSI Z97 board in the Define R4?

Are the heatsinks that much bigger on the new MSI Z97 gaming mobos than on the MSI Z87 gaming mobos?

post-84762-0-73796400-1402367148.jpg

I was just looking for something else regarding a noise issue I'm having with my H100i and thought I'd look in here as I had clearance issues and recently completed my build in an R4 with an MSI Z97 Gaming 7 and H100i.

The clearance is an issue due to the heatsink so you can't fit the rad at the back of the top vents. I'm not sure what size rad the R4 can take but it's definitely bigger than a H100i as I've had to mount it using the vent holes in more cases than the actual screw holes. I'll take a pic tonight of it but my rad is basically towards the front of the case. It looks like the case can possibly take 2 x 140mm fans but may be wrong.

It looks fine when all fitted but a word of advise would be to feed through all cables you need to first such as the corsair link cable, fan control y cables and sata power before you screw in the rad.

I was just looking for something else regarding a noise issue I'm having with my H100i and thought I'd look in here as I had clearance issues and recently completed my build in an R4 with an MSI Z97 Gaming 7 and H100i.

The clearance is an issue due to the heatsink so you can't fit the rad at the back of the top vents. I'm not sure what size rad the R4 can take but it's definitely bigger than a H100i as I've had to mount it using the vent holes in more cases than the actual screw holes. I'll take a pic tonight of it but my rad is basically towards the front of the case. It looks like the case can possibly take 2 x 140mm fans but may be wrong.

It looks fine when all fitted but a word of advise would be to feed through all cables you need to first such as the corsair link cable, fan control y cables and sata power before you screw in the rad.

So it's not possible to fit the rad in the way I intend it to go? It would work with the Z87 boards.. but.. I really like the MSI boards and BIOS, and I don't want to get the Z87 because I want to have support for Devil's Canyon and Broadwell for future upgrades. 

Define R4 has issues with many 240mm AiOs because the mount up top is not offset like it is on the Arc Midi R2.  Take a drill to the top and offset the rad a little bit if your comfortable modding your case.  You won't have issues mounting after that.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

in R4 factory mounts you have this:

hcMN8.jpg

if clearance is an issue, you can utilize the mesh holes for secondary mounting:

900x900px-LL-4ad45b39_E-P1100929.jpeg

if you still have clearance issues, then you'll have to drill new outboard mounting

holes for the radiator

So it's not possible to fit the rad in the way I intend it to go? It would work with the Z87 boards.. but.. I really like the MSI boards and BIOS, and I don't want to get the Z87 because I want to have support for Devil's Canyon and Broadwell for future upgrades. 

Yeah it's possible you just need to mount it a little bit forward as in the pic in the post above. Mine is mounted in that exact way. Sorry didn't get pics of mine yet will try to do it tonight but it's basically the same as above.

EDIT: Here's my pic of how far forward I've had to mount mine and could only line up 2 screws on the closest side as my pipes are alongside the drive bays as that's how I preferred them.

IMG_20140611_205522.jpg