Need Help with BIOS Update on Maximus VI Formula

Hi Everyone,
I just need some help, actually a lot of help with this, I am planning on getting the Intel 4790K and I know I can use that processor with my Maximus VI Formula but I am just worried on how to do the BIOS update on my board, I have never ever done this so I have no clue on what I am doing. I have already bought the board, I don't have any processor like a 4770K or whatever, My first processor is going to be the 4790K

Here is a picture on what the BIOS Update Page look like on Asus' website

post-76093-0-79921600-1402285459.png

I don't know which one to download and if I do which one to install it with or anything, I am basically clueless about this.

Can you guys please tell me how I will flash my board and what it means by I need to use the BIOS Updater tool and everything :D

Can some one please help me better understand what the page says and how I will go about doing the update please :D

Kind Regards

Utkarsh Anand  

So you have the board but no CPU?

This should help. Download the 1504 BIOS and follow the video. You will have to find the file name for your mobo though.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Don't download a bios until your setting up your build (so that you have the newest one)

Use the bios renaming tool on Asus website to rename the bios and then place in the root folder on a usb stick

(The rest of the instructions are going to be slightly different depending on the mobo)

Place usb in the designated usb port (most of the time it's the same port that rog connect uses)

Hold the clear cmos button for 5 seconds then release

The clear cmos button will then start flashing and continue to do so until the flash is finished

Then put in the cpu and check that everything worked.

That's how I updated the bios on my Maximus VI Impact and the instructions for your should be very similar but may be a different usb port

Refer to page 2-15 in the manual: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VI-FORMULA/E8336_Maximus_VI_Formula.pdf

The bios will come as a zip file. Just extract it, rename the bios name (ends with .CAP and should be MAXIMUS-VI-FORMULA-ASUS-1504.CAP) to M6F.CAP, copy it to a formatted USB drive, and press the ROG connect button. When the light turns off, your bios should be flashed onto your board.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

So you have the board but no CPU?

This should help. Download the 1504 BIOS and follow the video. You will have to find the file name for your mobo though.

Yes that is right haha, The Board was on sale on NewEgg and I live in Australia, so I got it shipped here.

The Board alone here is $439, that's the cheapest I could find in Australia, and then NewEgg started shipping here and I got the Board and an H100i for $420 plus $62 for shipping

Don't download a bios until your setting up your build (so that you have the newest one)

Use the bios renaming tool on Asus website to rename the bios and then place in the root folder on a usb stick

(The rest of the instructions are going to be slightly different depending on the mobo)

Place usb in the designated usb port (most of the time it's the same port that rog connect uses)

Hold the clear cmos button for 5 seconds then release

The clear cmos button will then start flashing and continue to do so until the flash is finished

Then put in the cpu and check that everything worked.

That's how I updated the bios on my Maximus VI Impact and the instructions for your should be very similar but may be a different usb port

Can you explain to me what you mean by the Bios Renaming tool?

Can you explain to me what you mean by the Bios Renaming tool?

It's just a tool that renames the bios file so that the motherboard will recognize it. Its under bios utilities in the support section for the motherboard, its not necessary but makes it easier.

It's just a tool that renames the bios file so that the motherboard will recognize it. Its under bios utilities in the support section for the motherboard, its not necessary but makes it easier.

So I'll have to Rename that ".CAP" file to whatever and then Flash My Board With it?

So I'll have to Rename that ".CAP" file to whatever and then Flash My Board With it?

Rename it to M6F.CAP. You don't have to use the tool.

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

You can do it in Windows using the Bios updater for 4th Gen. No need to update the file name. I have used the Flash back method but the new way is easier and designed for 4th Gen Intel processors.

Gaming Rig:  i7 4770K  -  ASUS Maximus VI Formula  -  2x MSI R9 290X Gaming OC CXF  -  BenQ XL2730Z 1440p 144hz Freesync  -  Corsair H80i  -  HyperX 16GB Ram  -  256 + 500 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD's  -  Seasonic 1000w 80 Plus Platnum...

You can do it in Windows using the Bios updater for 4th Gen. No need to update the file name. I have used the Flash back method but the new way is easier and designed for 4th Gen Intel processors.

He will get a CPU that wouldn't be supported on his motherboard when it comes out of the box (wouldn't think they would put a beta bios on the board) therefore he is unable to use the Windows flasher as he would not be able to use Windows without a working CPU (which I do not recommend to update using) and has to use their USB flashback feature