Cannot Install AMD Catalyst Controller (Windows Auto Installs default driver)

Hey guys - this issue has been driving me nuts and I can't seem to solve the problem.

I'm running 64-bit Windows 8 Enterprise N. It's an XFX HD Radeon 7870. 

One day, CCC stopped working. It would crash with an error when trying to start it. I wish I saved the error but I didn't. I uninstalled CCC and haven't been able to re-install it since.

It appears that Windows wants to automagically install it's own drivers. At first this caused a bunch of problems and none of my games would launch. Recently, it appears, that my games run kind of fine without any input from me. So - windows is just doing it's own thing here.

lhvHa7K.png

Basically, I've tried uninstalling this driver and it just reloads. I've used DDU in safe mode and upon reboot, this driver is back. I've pulled out and reseated the card and tried again and nothing. I'm out of ideas. I have no backup or restore point.

When I try to install CCC and it's drivers - basically nothing installs, it says to check logs for the warning message and nothing is given.

D2ZgZei.png

BzCKsoV.png

WXnXVDh.png

Thanks,

Chris

This is one of the things about Windows that infuriates me, it is possible to stop it but if it's already got a copy of a previous driver in it's database you have to try and locate it if you want it to stop which is a PITA because it just uses numbers for all the file names.

There is a setting you can use to disable automatic driver installation, but it doesn't stop it from installing ones it already has in it's database on your hard drive. (if this has changed on W8 I'm sorry, but this was the case on 7 which I use, also if what I've said is wrong and someone can correct me it'd make my day.)

Hey guys - this issue has been driving me nuts and I can't seem to solve the problem.

I'm running 64-bit Windows 8 Enterprise N. It's an XFX HD Radeon 7870. 

One day, CCC stopped working. It would crash with an error when trying to start it. I wish I saved the error but I didn't. I uninstalled CCC and haven't been able to re-install it since.

It appears that Windows wants to automagically install it's own drivers. At first this caused a bunch of problems and none of my games would launch. Recently, it appears, that my games run kind of fine without any input from me. So - windows is just doing it's own thing here.

lhvHa7K.png

Basically, I've tried uninstalling this driver and it just reloads. I've used DDU in safe mode and upon reboot, this driver is back. I've pulled out and reseated the card and tried again and nothing. I'm out of ideas. I have no backup or restore point.

When I try to install CCC and it's drivers - basically nothing installs, it says to check logs for the warning message and nothing is given.

D2ZgZei.png

BzCKsoV.png

WXnXVDh.png

Thanks,

Chris

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html

^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

This is one of the things about Windows that infuriates me, it is possible to stop it but if it's already got a copy of a previous driver in it's database you have to try and locate it if you want it to stop which is a PITA because it just uses numbers for all the file names.

There is a setting you can use to disable automatic driver installation, but it doesn't stop it from installing ones it already has in it's database on your hard drive. (if this has changed on W8 I'm sorry, but this was the case on 7 which I use, also if what I've said is wrong and someone can correct me it'd make my day.)

You are correct. I turned off the auto install of drivers last night. Safe Mode->DDU->reboot->auto install old driver. It happens all before I can get passed the login screen (starts w/ shitty resolution like I'm used too when no drivers exist -- then boom back to regular resolution). 

I might try unplugging internet connection to see if I can stop it that way.

Yup. Ran it in safe mode. Reboot and boom, old driver is back.

now that's weird.

Have you enabled Important and recommended updates to be autoinstalled? If so, that's your problem.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

now that's weird.

Have you enabled Important and recommended updates to be autoinstalled? If so, that's your problem.

Disabled it. I think I ran into trouble when Microsoft decided to bundle a display driver update in the "important" update instead of optional and I didn't pay attention that one time. Serves me right.

It has been disable now though. I also went through the Windows Update history and couldn't find the offending update (I thought maybe, just maybe I could uninstall it manually). 

Does anyone know if I can install CCC in safe mode? I tried it earlier and within the installer I got an error about not being able to automatically detect my hardware.

Tried disconnecting internet. Safe mode -> DDU -> reboot -> THAT DAMN DRIVER IS BACK!

I hate myself, I see that there is an update for the driver in Windows Updates. I'm going to update it. I know I shouldn't and I'm probably just making it worse but here goes nothing.

eSSxrTh.jpg

Anyway - I'm going to lose my mind if I keep trying this. Once the installer extracts I just cancelled out and updated the driver manually. 

Honestly, I have no idea why CCC won't install. If anyone reads this and knows please shoot me a line.

Thanks for letting me voice the problem here.

ZUIQzMv.jpg

• 2 months later...

The only other thing I can think of is just re-installing Windows. 

Le sigh.