Low cost 750 TI build, need confirmation on overall choices

Hey everyone,

I've been planning out a build for a mate of mine so he can get into pc gaming, the budget is fairly low and it'll be used for general use for the family as well. Prices are in Australian Dollars and are from MSY. There's not a clear budget but I'd prefer to keep it at $550 or under. If I'd have to stretch I'd say $600 absolute max but it's not my call to make.

Hard drive and OS will be used from his old build and I'll see if I can donate my old case as well. His OS is Windows Vista so if there's some sort of incompatibility please let me know.

• CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 $135

• Motherboard: ASRock H97M $105

• RAM: Patriot Signature 1x8GB 1600mhz $82 (just found the cheapest 8gb ram solution but doesn't have to be the exact same one)

• GPU: Gainward GTX 750TI $162 (stretch option is an MSI GTX750 TI Gaming for $189)

• PSU: Corsair VS350 350W $45 (stretch option for more wattage is a Corsair VS450 450W for $54)

Total cost of the cheapest options is $529

Please let me know what you think and thanks for your time.

"If you have a dream don't wait. Act."

~Axel, Kingdom Hearts II

Wouldn't it be cheaper if you bought a i3-4130 and the cheapest compatible motherboard?

Get a 4130 instead or an Athlon x4 750k. Get a cheaper mobo. You can get an R9 270x on sale for around 160 (US$) right now. And stretch for a better PSU. Corsair has a mail in rebate on a lot of their PSU's.

I should be studying.

Wouldn't it be cheaper if you bought a i3-4130 and the cheapest compatible motherboard?

You're right and that's what I planned to do however whilst there are still the 8 series chip set motherboards there's no i3-4130's in sight, even higher end non-refresh i5's are pretty much all out and that'd defeat the purpose of this budget by stepping up to one of those. Options are very limited down under.

~Axel, Kingdom Hearts II

You're right and that's what I planned to do however whilst there are still the 8 series chip set motherboards there's no i3-4130's in sight, even higher end non-refresh i5's are pretty much all out and that'd defeat the purpose of this budget by stepping up to one of those. Options are very limited down under.

You can't look at Amazon or even Ebay? I am sure you could get a part from Japan fairly easily if needed. Used parts can be your friend too.

I should be studying.

Get a 4130 instead or an Athlon x4 750k. Get a cheaper mobo. You can get an R9 270x on sale for around 160 (US$) right now. And stretch for a better PSU. Corsair has a mail in rebate on a lot of their PSU's.

Like I replied to Deddie before, there's no 4130's left. The mobo I picked is quite literally the cheapest 9 series chip set board I could find here. I'd never fully considered the AMD option, but from what I know Intel has the edge on single core performance and if I'm correct it's beneficial for the general use stuff. It's not just a pure gaming rig.

I know I can get a Silverstone 500W PSU for $60 but that's online so there's shipping costs and every cent counts. I'd rather find ways to shave money off than add it on.

~Axel, Kingdom Hearts II

Like I replied to Deddie before, there's no 4130's left. The mobo I picked is quite literally the cheapest 9 series chip set board I could find here. I'd never fully considered the AMD option, but from what I know Intel has the edge on single core performance and if I'm correct it's beneficial for the general use stuff. It's not just a pure gaming rig.

I know I can get a Silverstone 500W PSU for $60 but that's online so there's shipping costs and every cent counts. I'd rather find ways to shave money off than add it on.

try looking for sites with free shipping. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/ <--- go here. It will help you find the absolute lowest prices and best deals out there right now. 

I should be studying.

You can't look at Amazon or even Ebay? I am sure you could get a part from Japan fairly easily if needed. Used parts can be your friend too.

There's like nothing on the Australian amazon, and on the American one for example the prices aren't really much better and there's region restrictions on shipping. Not to mention shipping costs even if that wasn't the case. Plus if something goes wrong with a part it'd be far more beneficial to deal with warranties locally as opposed to the other side of the globe where they may not even apply. It is also for that reason why I'm shying away from second hand parts just to be 'safe'. Sorry to sound so restrictive.  

~Axel, Kingdom Hearts II

There's like nothing on the Australian amazon, and on the American one for example the prices aren't really much better and there's region restrictions on shipping. Not to mention shipping costs even if that wasn't the case. Plus if something goes wrong with a part it'd be far more beneficial to deal with warranties locally as opposed to the other side of the globe where they may not even apply. It is also for that reason why I'm shying away from second hand parts just to be 'safe'. Sorry to sound so restrictive.  

you reply too slow. Lol read my newest post.

I should be studying.

try looking for sites with free shipping. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/ <--- go here. It will help you find the absolute lowest prices and best deals out there right now. 

I tried this site out, it's good but unfortunately there's not a ton of deviation in prices of an identical part between different retailers. I've found the same parts with practically identical prices at MSY (physical shop) as the sites that are listed there (PCCG is excellent, but it's online and I don't live where their warehouse is so then there's shipping costs)

~Axel, Kingdom Hearts II

I tried this site out, it's good but unfortunately there's not a ton of deviation in prices of an identical part between different retailers. I've found the same parts with practically identical prices at MSY (physical shop) as the sites that are listed there (PCCG is excellent, but it's online and I don't live where their warehouse is so then there's shipping costs)

Dang I didn't realize Australia was so tough when it came to PC's. 

I should be studying.

Dang I didn't realize Australia was so tough when it came to PC's. 

haha unfortunately that's just the way it is. Talking about my original OP though, besides your recommendation to get a better PSU, for Intel does this build look fine? and would it still be compatible with Vista. (board doesn't say anything about being compatible with vista, will there be an issue since it's so 'old'?)

~Axel, Kingdom Hearts II

haha unfortunately that's just the way it is. Talking about my original OP though, besides your recommendation to get a better PSU, for Intel does this build look fine? and would it still be compatible with Vista. (board doesn't say anything about being compatible with vista, will there be an issue since it's so 'old'?)

Yeah just get a bit of a better/ bigger supply for upgrades down the road if he ever wants to. I would also recommend upgrading to Windows 8.1 as soon as possible. Many games don't even run on Vista. Looks like the prices you have are the best you are going to find.

I should be studying.

Yeah just get a bit of a better/ bigger supply for upgrades down the road if he ever wants to. I would also recommend upgrading to Windows 8.1 as soon as possible. Many games don't even run on Vista. Looks like the prices you have are the best you are going to find.

Alright nice man thanks for your help, yeah I'll convince him to do that but hopefully at Christmas when we get some additional money that'll be possible. Many thanks!

~Axel, Kingdom Hearts II

Alright nice man thanks for your help, yeah I'll convince him to do that but hopefully at Christmas when we get some additional money that'll be possible. Many thanks!

No problem, good luck with the build.

I should be studying.