Anyone got experience of the Be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W?

PrehistoricDuck

Does anyone use this PSU for a power gaming rig? I want to use this with a Xeon 1230v3 and GTX 780/Asus R9 290. I am just confused about the dual rail design that has 30amps on each rail. Also if anyone has it can you tell me how quiet it actually is. 

How come you're using a Xeon in a gaming rig?

How come you're using a Xeon in a gaming rig?

It's basically a cheaper i7 4770/4770K without an iGPU and a locked multiplier.

And they're pretty nice.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It's basically a cheaper i7 4770/4770K without an iGPU and a locked multiplier.

And they're pretty nice.

Interesting, I didn't know that, I've always seen people advising others not to use Xeons for gaming purposes because they're not best suited, was that the case before and not now? Or has it never been the case?

Interesting, I didn't know that, I've always seen people advising people not to use Xeons for gaming purposes because they're not best suited, was that the case before and not now? Or has it never been the case?

Not sure about before, but now they're fine for gaming. I mean, it is a CPU, after all. It's not like a Quadro where it's meant for a certain workload.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Not sure about before, but now they're fine for gaming. I mean, it is a CPU, after all. It's not like a Quadro where it's meant for a certain workload.

Maybe it was a pricing thing, or the locked multiplier meaning the (more expensive?) K SKU was better for performance.

Anyone got an answer? Also which GPU, Asus R9 290 (£320) or the MSI GTX 780 (£345)

Single rail vs Multi rail is generally non-issue for many people on modern day designs. The combined +12v rating for the L8 630w is 47A. The 30A rating is a virtual limitation monitor a group of cables. This has been implemented for safety reason to prevent too much power being pull from a single set of cables.

Single rail vs Multi rail is generally non-issue for many people on modern day designs. The combined +12v rating for the L8 630w is 47A. The 30A rating is a virtual limitation monitor a group of cables. This has been implemented for safety reason to prevent too much power being pull from a single set of cables.

One set of the GPU cables has an 8pin and a 6pin on the same set. Is this safe for the GTX 780? Will that be one rail or do both of them combine to power the system?

One set of the GPU cables has an 8pin and a 6pin on the same set. Is this safe for the GTX 780? Will that be one rail or do both of them combine to power the system?

You could power a system with a GTX780 on a quality 450w unit with 37A on the +12v like the Rosewill Capstone 450w, Seasonic G 450w, Silverstone SFX 450w Gold, etc, in which IIRC, one of the rails have the 24-pin, 2x PEG connectors, and the peripheral connectors (12v1), while the other have the other two PEG connector with the EPS12v (12v2) on this unit. You could have it set up in a way that the CPU and GPU isn't on the same rail or use both cables to split the load across two of the rails.

You could power a system with a GTX780 on a quality 450w unit with 37A on the +12v like the Rosewill Capstone 450w, Seasonic G 450w, Silverstone SFX 450w Gold, etc, in which IIRC, one of the rails have the 24-pin, 2x PEG connectors, and the peripheral connectors (12v1), while the other have the other two PEG connector with the EPS12v (12v2) on this unit. You could have it set up in a way that the CPU and GPU isn't on the same rail or use both cables to split the load across two of the rails.

So should I get the Be quiet 630w?

So should I get the Be quiet 630w?

Sure. It's a solid PSU. Whether or not it is best deal you can go with, well, we would need to know your budget and where you are buying from.

Sure. It's a solid PSU. Whether or not it is best deal you can go with, well, we would need to know your budget and where you are buying from.

I'm just looking for a very quiet PSU to replace my older PSU and match the silence of the build.

I'm just looking for a very quiet PSU to replace my older PSU and match the silence of the build.

I understand, but to exaggerate a bit, if the BeQuiet PP L8 630w is $100 USD while the XFX XTR 550w is $90 USD, I would go for the XFX as it's a better build and it is also a quiet PSU.

I asked for your budget and the shops you are buying from to see if there's a better option for you.

Like I said though, the L8 630w would be more than plenty for your system and is a good, quiet budget unit.

I understand, but to exaggerate a bit, if the BeQuiet PP L8 630w is $100 USD while the XFX XTR 550w is $90 USD, I would go for the XFX as it's a better build and it is also a quiet PSU.

I asked for your budget and the shops you are buying from to see if there's a better option for you.

Like I said though, the L8 630w would be more than plenty for your system and is a good, quiet budget unit.

Shopping at scan.co.uk and I have a £65 budget for the PSU. Also I want a modular PSU because it is in a ITX case.

Interesting, I didn't know that, I've always seen people advising others not to use Xeons for gaming purposes because they're not best suited, was that the case before and not now? Or has it never been the case?

Never been the case.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.