To Kraken G10, or not to Kraken G10...?

60c range is fine actually. Reference coolers often go 70s - 80s range for high-end cards. 

Do remember to install the Kraken Control software.

I lowered my temps, as you can see in the above comment, and I installed the software, but how can I get the software to vary the fan speed based on GPU temp, rather than my CPU temp?

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

Hrm. I face the same problem. :D I run a dual Kraken X40 setup and if I'm not mistaken both of them read from the CPU sensor.

and I can't control both Kraken within the software. 

I read that the program "speedfan" can set fan speeds according to gpu temp. When I tried it, the temps and fans weren't being recognized, but I suspect other software was conflicting with it.

Corsair C70 case - i7 4790k - Corsair H100i - Asus Maximus Hero VII - EVGA 780 Ti SC x2 SLI - Samsung 250GB SSD - 2TB Seagate HHD - Corsair Vengeance 32GB RAM - Corsair RM1000 PSU - Asus VG248QE - Logitech G700s Mouse<p>MSI GT60 0NE-403US Laptop - i7 3630QM - GTX 680M 4GB - Toshiba 128GB SSD - 750GB HHD - Corsair Vengeance 32GB RAM

I read that the program "speedfan" can set fan speeds according to gpu temp. When I tried it, the temps and fans weren't being recognized, but I suspect other software was conflicting with it.

I tried that, the configuration was much too complicated...Also, what have your VRAM temps been?  I didn't really think about putting heatsinks on those, should I?

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

I tried that, the configuration was much too complicated...Also, what have your VRAM temps been?  I didn't really think about putting heatsinks on those, should I?

I dunno, I know they do get hot because they will be several degrees warmer than the rest of the card besides GPU and VRM, but hot enough to warrant heatsinks? Not sure, I put them on mine while I had it all out for VRM heatsinks, but if you want to add your leftover heatsinks on the VRAM, I suggest fitting them to the ones closest to the VRM first. Those will be hotter than the VRAM furthest from the VRM just because of the temp transferred from VRM I assume. The VRAM opposite of the VRM do get warm and are several degrees hotter than other parts of the card right next to them (mine were about 48 degrees when a part of the card next to it was 41, VRM was 55 and VRAM next to that was 51, all with heatsinks on, while running benchmarks), but hot enough to justify heatsinks? Not sure, I put them on mine when I did so I wouldn't have any reason to take the G10 apart again... I didn't take temps of the VRAM before heatsinks, so I can't tell you the difference.

Corsair C70 case - i7 4790k - Corsair H100i - Asus Maximus Hero VII - EVGA 780 Ti SC x2 SLI - Samsung 250GB SSD - 2TB Seagate HHD - Corsair Vengeance 32GB RAM - Corsair RM1000 PSU - Asus VG248QE - Logitech G700s Mouse<p>MSI GT60 0NE-403US Laptop - i7 3630QM - GTX 680M 4GB - Toshiba 128GB SSD - 750GB HHD - Corsair Vengeance 32GB RAM

I dunno, I know they do get hot because they will be several degrees warmer than the rest of the card besides GPU and VRM, but hot enough to warrant heatsinks? Not sure, I put them on mine while I had it all out for VRM heatsinks, but if you want to add your leftover heatsinks on the VRAM, I suggest fitting them to the ones closest to the VRM first. Those will be hotter than the VRAM furthest from the VRM just because of the temp transferred from VRM I assume. The VRAM opposite of the VRM do get warm and are several degrees hotter than other parts of the card right next to them (mine were about 48 degrees when a part of the card next to it was 41, VRM was 55 and VRAM next to that was 51, all with heatsinks on, while running benchmarks), but hot enough to justify heatsinks? Not sure, I put them on mine when I did so I wouldn't have any reason to take the G10 apart again... I didn't take temps of the VRAM before heatsinks, so I can't tell you the difference.

What clock speeds are you running at? I guess I'm just trying to find why my system is running so much warmer.  Although, it is nice knowing that I can complain when my card reaches 60 degrees. Lol

Project Insomnia

What clock speeds are you running at? I guess I'm just trying to find why my system is running so much warmer.  Although, it is nice knowing that I can complain when my card reaches 60 degrees. Lol

I'm running the stock SC , 1150/7000 mhz is what it shows on my rivatuner. Once in awhile I'll put a 50/100 or 100/200 OC on top of that, but not often, and with little heat increase, maybe 2-3 deg

Ok, so I installed the heatsinks and then put the G10 and x40 back into my case. After starting up my computer, my temps were 87 degrees idling! What's going on do you think? I thought maybe my pump was the problem, could that cause this high of temps? Or maybe thermal paste?

Project Insomnia

Ok, so I installed the heatsinks and then put the G10 and x40 back into my case. After starting up my computer, my temps were 87 degrees idling! What's going on do you think? I thought maybe my pump was the problem, could that cause this high of temps? Or maybe thermal paste?

Wow, that's terrible. Almost sounds like the block isn't even making contact with the GPU chip... Is that 87 deg idling just after startup or after loads have been applied? You did clean off the paste and reapply, right? Sorry for late reply, didn't see your post.

Wow, that's terrible. Almost sounds like the block isn't even making contact with the GPU chip... Is that 87 deg idling just after startup or after loads have been applied? You did clean off the paste and reapply, right? Sorry for late reply, didn't see your post.

I got it figured out. My pump wasn't running, but I got it resolved and temps are normal. I even got my heatsinks all situated.

Project Insomnia

20140602_181301.jpg

Dude, you installed heatsinks on your Chokes??? Your mosfets are the small black squares just to the right of them... those are what need heatsinks.

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

Gpu dont give off much heat compared to cpus. 

This is crap. If you are regurgitating what Linus said in his G10 Kraken video, well then I am sorry, but Linus was wrong when he said this. It has everything to due with contact area, with GPU's like the GK110 have 4X more surface are vs. A Haswell based CPU. A GTX 780ti easily pulls 250 watts when loaded. Even a power hog like the 8350 overclocked like crazy has a tough time reaching that.

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

If temps are an issue make sure have the block seated properly. I had the same issue with my G10 and MSI gaming GTX 770 when I reseated it (turns out I accidentally stripped one of the screws so I improv'd a ziptie for that missing screw). My temps for it are currently 25-51 celcius while idle/gaming.

While the temps are nice, I always worry about the vrms. If I had gotten a refference 770 I would have just gone with a custom loop.

But for what I payed for, it's alright.

Dude, you installed heatsinks on your Chokes??? Your mosfets are the small black squares just to the right of them... those are what need heatsinks.

I did the same thing, is this wrong?

Project Insomnia

I did the same thing, is this wrong?

Yes it is. I would remove the heatsinks from the chokes carefully and install them on the mosfets.

Hmm, so the little black squares right next to the silver blocks are the VRM? My tests before were showing the bigger blocks with higher heat than the black mosfets, so I put the heatsinks there...

A quick runup of furmark 1080 right now was showing me a max temp of 81 on the inner black mosfets (~75 on the outer ones), 76 on the block component that I put heatsinks on (~70 deg on the outer ones), and a 49 gpu temp, so about 5 deg higher on the black things vs the silver blocks...

I don't think these heatsinks would fit on the little black squares very well, I may order some of the really tiny 1/4"x1/4" ones...

A little googling helped my curiosity to my question, this explains it well. http://www.geeks3d.com/20100504/tutorial-graphics-cards-voltage-regulator-modules-vrm-explained/2/ how basically the VRM is made up of the mosfet, inductor (choke), and capacitor.

I think with the heatsink being on the inductor, it reduces the temps of the entire area, thus cooling the VRM as a whole, but additional heatsinks on the mosfets would be best. Just my two cents...

asus_eah_5830_vrm_details.jpg

A little googling helped my curiosity to my question, this explains it well. http://www.geeks3d.com/20100504/tutorial-graphics-cards-voltage-regulator-modules-vrm-explained/2/ how basically the VRM is made up of the mosfet, inductor (choke), and capacitor.

I think with the heatsink being on the inductor, it reduces the temps of the entire area, thus cooling the VRM as a whole, but additional heatsinks on the mosfets would be best. Just my two cents...

asus_eah_5830_vrm_details.jpg

Yes, I am aware of the components that make up the vrm. The mosfets are the hottest portion of the vrm assembly. This is why every company that sells videocards will not cool the chokes, but the mosfets only. How are you measuring your vrm temps anyway? Most GK110 cards do not have sensors.

Yes, I am aware of the components that make up the vrm. The mosfets are the hottest portion of the vrm assembly. This is why every company that sells videocards will not cool the chokes, but the mosfets only. How are you measuring your vrm temps anyway? Most GK110 cards do not have sensors.

I had an infrared thermometer laying around that I used to measure RC car engine temps with.

Ok, good info to know. I guess I never did much research on the concept of VRM cooling, I'll look into some heatsinks for the mosfets. And I wasn't trying to school you, I only posted that for JDS and any others that may read the thread in the future. ;-)

I had an infrared thermometer laying around that I used to measure RC car engine temps with.

Ok, good info to know. I guess I never did much research on the concept of VRM cooling, I'll look into some heatsinks for the mosfets. And I wasn't trying to school you, I only posted that for JDS and any others that may read the thread in the future. ;-)

Nice, pretty cool you had one laying around. Sorry if I came off like a dick. Just want to make sure you are cooling the correct parts of the vrm. 

And for reference, here is a Evga ACX card. They use reference PCB's, and you see what the stock black vram/vrm plate is passively cooling. There are thermal pads on top of the mosfets if you look at the bottom picture of the plate.

evga-gtx780-acx-cooler.jpg

cooler4_small.jpg

That is the question.  But yes, I have been thinking about liquid cooling my EVGA Superclocked GTX Geforce 780 Ti and was curious about a couple things, and figured you guys were the best people to ask, as usual.  Firstly, what are your thoughts on the Kraken G10?  I have heard of some pretty incredible performance increases, so I am very tempted to get one, and I like the idea of my GPU not running hot.  Secondly, let's say I do get the G10, then what cooler should I get for it?  I kind of want to stick with NZXT, considering my entire build is NZXT, kinda, my case is an H440, so I would like to stick with NZXT.  So that means I am basically picking either an x40 or x60.  Now, ideally I would get an x60, better cooling at a quieter level.  But I was wondering where I would put this in my case, and if I did, would I have room for an x40 for my CPU (i5 4670k @ 4.4 Ghz.)?  I'm sure as you guys reply I will come up with more questions, so please try and stick with me.  Thanks!

EDIT: Also, how much maintenance is involved when you own a water cooler? I am new to this mystical part of the forum, so don't flame me for being an idiot on this subject.  

Corsair is coming out with an equivalent water cooler. http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-hg10-gpu-liquid-cooling-bracket

It takes the weaknesses of the G10 such as lack of VRAM cooling and solves them. If you're willing to wait, it's coming out August.

Corsair is coming out with an equivalent water cooler. http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-hg10-gpu-liquid-cooling-bracket

It takes the weaknesses of the G10 such as lack of VRAM cooling and solves them. If you're willing to wait, it's coming out August.

Well I won't be getting a G10 now, the Corsair is so much better, the whole bracket is one big heatsink..

Maybe NZXT will start to listen instead of fobbing off the whole overheating VRM's.

Nice, pretty cool you had one laying around. Sorry if I came off like a dick. Just want to make sure you are cooling the correct parts of the vrm. 

And for reference, here is a Evga ACX card. They use reference PCB's, and you see what the stock black vram/vrm plate is passively cooling. There are thermal pads on top of the mosfets if you look at the bottom picture of the plate.

No worries, man. I see they have pads for the memory VRM, too -the little one on the left. I wonder how well that actually cools the VRM vs open air circulation.

Well I won't be getting a G10 now, the Corsair is so much better, the whole bracket is one big heatsink..

Maybe NZXT will start to listen instead of fobbing off the whole overheating VRM's.

It looks like that uses the reference centrifugal fan, as in you have to remove it out of your old cooler and install it in this bracket...

Unless they sell a version that comes with a fan, us ACX guys are SOL. And yes, I see that it's meant for reference cards, but the EVGA ACX card IS a reference card but with a better cooler.

Will a EVGA backplate work with the Kraken G10?  I saw that it has the right placement of holes for the mount to go on...hmmmm...

Project Insomnia