Dead PCI-E Slot?

So a PCI-E slot of mine is either dead, or just not working. Its not the card. I have two cards, both cards work in the bottom slot, not the top slot. Not quite sure what happened, but I digress. Is there anything I can do to try and fix it? 

How long have you had it? You could try an RMA, or you could also do a bios update or something.

Diamond 5 in League :)

Its not under warranty, I don't think the specifics really matter, its been working correctly for ever, psu = 750 corsair, mb = 970a-ud3p. the pci-e slot physically looks fine, also.

Its not under warranty, I don't think the specifics really matter, its been working correctly for ever, psu = 750 corsair, mb = 970a-ud3p. the pci-e slot physically looks fine, also.

Could try a CMOS reset to see if somehow the bios disabled it but do not see anything in the bios where you can disable specific PCI slots. :/ There could also be a short somehow on the first slot causing it to not work. Could try a out of the box test if your setup isn't hard to remove out of your case. Also try different power cables on your power supply (ie the power cables that you used on the lower gpu). Also welcome back. :) Its been a while since I have seen you on the forum. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Yeah, I tried all the different PCI-e cables, wasn't that. Going to try out of the case, see if that help. Thanks. And yeah, I got promoted at work, so I've been rightfully too busy to help people on the forums like I used to. :( 

• 3 weeks later...

Just so you know it was a short. Tried three different cases with no luck but it works on a box sigh

Just so you know it was a short. Tried three different cases with no luck but it works on a box sigh

Glad you found the problem. It could be standoffs shorting the motherboard (usually its the ones that are made by making a "lump" in the motherboard tray like the Bitfenix Comrade (with optional standoff mounts)) sometimes. You could fix it by putting electrical tape around the standoffs to prevent the motherboard from shorting.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer