Jump to content

Need help with RAM speeds

Hello everyone, my mobo died today (no beeps, no screen, fans work. yesterday it was just fine) and having a closer look at it, i see some MOSFETs have turned yellow and like burned liquid is around it and it's the CPU's MOSFETs as i had my CPU OC'ed from 2.8GHz base speed to 3.6GHz for 2 years straight so these MOSFETs are done for. I will take it to a service center to see if they can replace those MOSFETs but the mobo is so old that i dont think it's worth fixing it (current PC specs below, left is current build, right the things i'll buy) but that's not the point of this thread.

 

The point of the thread is, that if the mobo isn't worth to be fixed, i have gathered the following parts that i will buy and i have the following options for RAM

 

G.Skill Aegis 32GB (4x8) 3200MHz DDR4 at 70 euros. 

The 2666 and 2400MHz of the same RAM is 62 euros (2x8 and 2x8)

OR 2666 but 2x8 only at 40 euros. Is 16GB in this day and age enough? or should i move to 32? And does speed matter? especially the speeds i mentioned

 

MOBO - Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2                                    -----> MSI Pro B760M-P DDR4

CPU - Intel i5-750 2.8GHz, OC'ed to 3.6GHz                  -----> Intel Core i5-12400F

GPU - Gigabyte 1050 TI Windforce OC                            -----> The same

RAM - Corsair 12GB 1333MHz (2x4 , 2x2)                       -----> Either the 3200MHz , 2666 or 2400 or the 2666 2x8

PSU - Corsair CV650                                                         -----> The same

Case - Cooler Master CMP 520 ARGB                             -----> The same

 

I do not game, and if i were to game, it would be once every month or even none. For now, i did not use the computer hard enough to be pushed to it's limits, sometimes it was pushed to it's limits but not for long. Most of my work (for now) were light to medium but i wanna futureproof as well for the AT LEAST next 10 years (if it survives that long) for whoever knows what kind of work i'll be doing in the future.

 

Thank you in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

you are upgrading to another dead end platform

 

i think you are better off buying another h55/p55 for the 10-20€ those cost nowadays and save up for am5, besides if you dont need the extra performance now its a waste of money especially upgrading to a dead end platform, oh and buy another gigabyte board cause asus are trash for quad stick (my giga p55 ud3 could run 2000 on 4 sticks yet my p7p55 cant even stabilize 1600 let alone boot 2000)

 

if you want futureproof go am5 and you can expect prices on ryzen 7000 and b650 to go down abit with the release of ryzen 9000, and since am5 isnt a dead end platform you can drop in a new cpu whilst being able to reuse both mobo and ram

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

G. Aegis 32GB (4x8) 3200MHz DDR4 at 70 euros. 

The 2666 and 2400MHz of the same RAM is 62 euros (2x8 and 2x8)

OR 2666 but 2x8 only at 40 euros. Is 16GB in this day and age enough? or should i move to 32? And does speed matter? especially the speeds i mentioned

It looks like you keep your PC for a really long time, so I'd strongly recommend you get 32GB of 3200. 16GB is enough for now, but you'd be surprised how quickly even just desktop usage can munch through that.

 

You may want to check the price of the 12600KF, in my country the 12400F is only $100 so it makes sense, but if the 12400F is say.. $125 and the KF $150, I'd pay the extra $25. Only thing is, the 12400F has an acceptable cooler, the 12600KF includes nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Tetras said:

It looks like you keep your PC for a really long time, so I'd strongly recommend you get 32GB of 3200. 16GB is enough for now, but you'd be surprised how quickly even just desktop usage can munch through that.

 

You may want to check the price of the 12600KF, in my country the 12400F is only $100 so it makes sense, but if the 12400F is say.. $125 and the KF $150, I'd pay the extra $25. Only thing is, the 12400F has an acceptable cooler, the 12600KF includes nothing.

Thanks for replying! Yeah i do keep my PC for a looong time haha and i do proper maintenance on it and that's why it lasted this long. But does speed matter on RAM?

 

I'll just list you the prices of the CPUs you mentioned

 

12600KF box is 167 euros, no box version is 173

 

12400F is 120 euros.

 

So yeah, almost 50 euros for the KF version. And my budget is 300 euros so let's say 120 euros the CPU, the 32GB 3200 RAM 70 euros and the mobo 85, adding that up comes out to 275. Shipping is not calculated so in total its around 10 euros to shipping and yeah

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

But does speed matter on RAM?

For games: yes, it can impact the overall framerate consistency (especially the lows) and the top-end framerate if you're CPU bottlenecked.

 

For basic desktop and browser use? I doubt you'll notice any difference.

 

For other workloads? It depends, but for the most part: not much.

 

8 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

12600K

I'd avoid the no box version, you usually only get a 1 year warranty on those and zero manufacturer warranty.

 

If you're planning to use the 12400F's cooler then you're looking at maybe 75-80+ euro extra for the 12600KF and I don't think that's worth it.

 

FYI: the non-F versions would allow you to drop the 1050 Ti from your build, if you don't need it for anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tetras said:

For games: yes, it can impact the overall framerate consistency (especially the lows) and the top-end framerate if you're CPU bottlenecked.

 

For basic desktop and browser use? I doubt you'll notice any difference.

 

For other workloads? It depends, but for the most part: not much.

Yeah i understand i understand. But i may get into gaming sometime in the future haha or do something intensive other than gaming so you never know

 

3 hours ago, Tetras said:

I'd avoid the no box version, you usually only get a 1 year warranty on those and zero manufacturer warranty.

 

If you're planning to use the 12400F's cooler then you're looking at maybe 75-80+ euro extra for the 12600KF and I don't think that's worth it.

 

FYI: the non-F versions would allow you to drop the 1050 Ti from your build, if you don't need it for anything.

I was gonna buy either way the box version as i won't have a cooler for that CPU (if i were to buy the no box one) and i don't think i'll be buying a cooler, YET

 

either way the KF variant is way out of my budget and i wouldn't be buying it regardless

 

I would use the GPU i have no matter if the CPU had an iGPU in it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AleksiDj73 said:

12600KF box is 167 euros, no box version is 173

 

Odd. Usually the boxed (retail) version is more expensive. Unboxed are  intended for OEMs that are building systems for resale.

 

16 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

I was gonna buy either way the box version as i won't have a cooler for that CPU (if i were to buy the no box one) and i don't think i'll be buying a cooler, YET

 

It doesn't matter in this case, but boxed K versions do not include a cooler.

 

3 hours ago, AleksiDj73 said:

But does speed matter on RAM?

 

It does, but it's complicated. 

 

4 hours ago, AleksiDj73 said:

G.Skill Aegis 32GB (4x8) 3200MHz DDR4 at 70 euros. 

The 2666 and 2400MHz of the same RAM is 62 euros (2x8 and 2x8)

OR 2666 but 2x8 only at 40 euros.

 

First kit is the best option.

 

A little confused by the second option. Two 2x8GB kits is not a good idea as XMP profiles are for the kit configuration, i.e. 2 sticks.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Tetras said:

For games: yes, it can impact the overall framerate consistency (especially the lows) and the top-end framerate if you're CPU bottlenecked.

 

For basic desktop and browser use? I doubt you'll notice any difference.

 

For other workloads? It depends, but for the most part: not much.

 

I'd avoid the no box version, you usually only get a 1 year warranty on those and zero manufacturer warranty.

 

If you're planning to use the 12400F's cooler then you're looking at maybe 75-80+ euro extra for the 12600KF and I don't think that's worth it.

 

FYI: the non-F versions would allow you to drop the 1050 Ti from your build, if you don't need it for anything.

What about the Gigabyte B760M DS3H DDR4 mobo? is it better or i shouldn't bother with it? it's 20 euros more but idk, what do you say?

 

Now that i think of it, it's not like i'm gonna put a 300 euros CPU in it but idk, it was an idea since i was browsing mobos again haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, brob said:

Odd. Usually the boxed (retail) version is more expensive. Unboxed are  intended for OEMs that are building systems for resale.

yeah we got a site here that basically gathers all large/small shops into one place and they compete with each other and prices chance daily so yeah.

 

2 hours ago, brob said:

First kit is the best option.

 

A little confused by the second option. Two 2x8GB kits is not a good idea as XMP profiles are for the kit configuration, i.e. 2 sticks.

it was just an idea really, not the biggest priority

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

What about the Gigabyte B760M DS3H DDR4 mobo? is it better or i shouldn't bother with it? it's 20 euros more but idk, what do you say?

It looks kind of similar, but it has a VRM heatsink, more USB 3.0 ports on the rear and an extra DP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tetras said:

It looks kind of similar, but it has a VRM heatsink, more USB 3.0 ports on the rear and an extra DP.

realistically i do not care about more usb 3 ports or an extra dp, i don't even use dp lol and a good reason to get that is for the vrm heatsink but i mean, is it THAT important? i guess so but it's not like the system is gonna be stressed at all times for the vrm to heat up like mad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

is it THAT important? i guess so but it's not like is gonna be stressed at all times for the vrm to heat up like mad

Without thermal testing of the boards it is hard to say if the heatsink matters and if you're using the CPU's box cooler it should provide some cooling to the VRMs anyway. Superficially the DS3H does look higher quality, but we'd ideally need to know the rating of the phases and see how they actually perform. With an i5-12400/12400F I doubt it'll matter much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Tetras said:

Without thermal testing of the boards it is hard to say if the heatsink matters and if you're using the CPU's box cooler it should provide some cooling to the VRMs anyway. Superficially the DS3H does look higher quality, but we'd ideally need to know the rating of the phases and see how they actually perform. With an i5-12400/12400F I doubt it'll matter much.

Either way my whole build has 5 fans lol, 3 intake 2 outets so it's not like it has no airflow. Plus the box cooler, plus 2 gpu fans (they won't do much but they add up) so yeah, they are plenty.

 

So what do you say? stick with the one i originally had listed or go for the gigabyte one? you probably will go for the gigabyte one cuz i have a feeling haha but what do you think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

So what do you say? stick with the one i had listed or go for the gigabyte one? you will go for the gigabyte one cuz i have a feeling haha but what do you think?

Your budget is pretty tight (that's the impression I have anyhow) so in this circumstance 20 euro is a lot and it could e.g. cost you 32GB of memory, so I would stick with what you have, especially since there's nothing on the other board you need/want to have.

 

A 12400 would add some utility, because if anything happened to your GPU you'd at least have a spare, so I'd be more inclined to spend 20 euro there (if it made a difference), or on a better cooler like the thermalright assassin spirit just for quality of life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Tetras said:

Your budget is pretty tight (that's the impression I have anyhow) so in this circumstance 20 euro is a lot and it could e.g. cost you 32GB of memory, so I would stick with what you have, especially since there's nothing on the other board you need/want to have.

 

A 12400 would add some utility, because if anything happened to your GPU you'd at least have a spare, so I'd be more inclined to spend 20 euro there (if it made a difference), or on a better cooler like the thermalright assassin spirit just for quality of life.

Hmm, you know what, i think i can squeeze that 12400 hahaah. i forgot i had added my smartwatch that i'll be buying with the whole build which is 28 euros but here's the thing, total amount after taxes comes out to 336.40 with mobo, cpu and ram and NOT smartwatch. we have a business guy here that buys goods without taxes and if he agrees, i can get those for 271.29 euros and if i squeeze that smart watch, it comes to legit 299.29 hahah

 

So f it, i'll throw in that 12400 as long as he agrees and if he doesn't agree, i'll go back to the 12400f

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

i'll throw in that 12400 as long as he agrees and if he doesn't agree, i'll go to the 12400f

Sounds good!

 

I always advocate getting the IGP if possible, even just for troubleshooting purposes it can be useful and in your case, it would probably be sufficient for general usage. Obviously it depends on the price, much more than 20-30 euro and you could just go on ebay and get a GT 710/730 or something like that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tetras said:

Sounds good!

 

I always advocate getting the IGP if possible, even just for troubleshooting purposes it can be useful and in your case, it would probably be sufficient for general usage. Obviously it depends on the price, much more than 20-30 euro and you could just go on ebay and get a GT 710/730 or something like that

Yeah i know the igpu is defo useful if my discreet fails for the xyz reason.

 

And if i were to buy a gpu because my one broke, i would buy a good gpu and not low end that can't do anything. Basically I'd wait and gather money for a good mid-high end gpu than buying a low end one

 

Anyways, i will come back to you within this next week when i get the parts and when i build it!

 

So far thank you tons for your help and being patient with me haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tetras so far our guy agreed and i will be getting the motherboard i mentioned at the start, the 12400 and not the F suffix, the 32gb 3200 ram and the smartwatch which is the mi band 8 totalling to 299.44 euros lol. the order is in, parts will come within 1-3 days and i will go pick them up when i receive an email from them that's it's ready! excited haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tetrashey bud so, got the parts yesterday, assembled it today and it worked peeerfectly! i'm now erasing my ssd to install windows on it but so far i'm very happy. first thing i did was enable XMP lol

 

but do you know what's funny about my old mobo? i turned it on yesterday and i hear a beep lol and it booted just fine into windows and i was very very surprised. I hadn't booted the pc for 2 days and idk how that made it working again when there are literally burned mosfets and those mosfets are yellow/orange.... (i can send pic if you want). either way the upgrade had to be done because the mobo cpu and ram were old af and it was time. i legit did an ssd clone to my hdd and i'll grab everything after the new windows installation is finished.

 

so far so good though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

@Tetrashey bud so, got the parts yesterday, assembled it today and it worked peeerfectly! i'm now erasing my ssd to install windows on it but so far i'm very happy. first thing i did was enable XMP lol

It is a big upgrade, for sure. When compared to a stock i5-750, it (i5-12400) has nearly 3x the single thread and 7.5x the multi thread (@ PassMark).

 

27 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

but do you know what's funny about my old mobo? i turned it on yesterday and i hear a beep lol and it booted just fine into windows and i was very very surprised. I hadn't booted the pc for 2 days and idk how that made it working again when there are literally burned mosfets and those mosfets are yellow/orange.... (i can send pic if you want). either way the upgrade had to be done because the mobo cpu and ram were old af and it was time. i legit did an ssd clone to my hdd and i'll grab everything after the new windows installation is finished.

Hmm, interesting. If it had old-style capacitors I'd say maybe they leaked, but I don't think I've seen solid ones leak that way. It could be that the controller can get around the problem by disabling phases, but I thought they were pre-programmed, so I don't know if that is even possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AleksiDj73 said:

but do you know what's funny about my old mobo? i turned it on yesterday and i hear a beep lol and it booted just fine into windows and i was very very surprised. I hadn't booted the pc for 2 days and idk how that made it working again when there are literally burned mosfets and those mosfets are yellow/orange.... (i can send pic if you want). either way the upgrade had to be done because the mobo cpu and ram were old af and it was time. i legit did an ssd clone to my hdd and i'll grab everything after the new windows installation is finished.

i wonder how long those mosfets have been "burned" if the thing works just fine

 

boards are like that sometimes just having downright strange issues and just pretending like it never happened

 

welp i guess you can just leave it as a backup pc or something cause im pretty sure those parts are next to worthless in a developed country

 

2 hours ago, Tetras said:

Hmm, interesting. If it had old-style capacitors I'd say maybe they leaked, but I don't think I've seen solid ones leak that way. It could be that the controller can get around the problem by disabling phases, but I thought they were pre-programmed, so I don't know if that is even possible.

nope all solid capacitors and im pretty sure its been like that after 775 aside from oem boards maybe

 

probably just some random issue that caused it to stop posting and just solved itself

 

i did have a giga p55 ud3 awhile ago before i sold it and sometimes itd just get stuck on d8 code maybe even a0 or whatever random error code i forgot and id have to remount stuff + clear cmos to get it working again and this was stock with no oc applied so thats probably what that board was doing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tetras said:

It is a big upgrade, for sure. When compared to a stock i5-750, it (i5-12400) has nearly 3x the single thread and 7.5x the multi thread (@ PassMark).

yeah lol for sure it's a massive difference. pc is flyyyying

 

5 hours ago, Tetras said:

Hmm, interesting. If it had old-style capacitors I'd say maybe they leaked, but I don't think I've seen solid ones leak that way. It could be that the controller can get around the problem by disabling phases, but I thought they were pre-programmed, so I don't know if that is even possible.

no capacitors, i'm talking about solely mosfets. i left the pc like 12 hours on on it's own and nothing happened which was weird but hey ho, games the game. pics below of the old mobo with the mosfets looking bad

20240622_105632.jpg

20240622_105637.jpg

 

you can very clearly see on the first pic that somethings wrong and around the mosfets the board itself is yellow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

i wonder how long those mosfets have been "burned" if the thing works just fine

i can assure you that it wasn't like that 6 months ago. i do regular cleaning of my pc everything a month or two and i take close inspections of it each time to see if anythings wrong but defo 6 months ago it was NOT like that

 

3 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

welp i guess you can just leave it as a backup pc or something cause im pretty sure those parts are next to worthless in a developed country

yeah defo a backup for whatever happens to this new one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×