Can a power cut mess up PSU when PC is in sleep mode

I recently bought a PC and its just over a month old. Everything was working fine.

My build is AMD 7800 X3D - Sapphire Nitro + Radeon 7900 XTX

Mother board is MSI MAG Tomahawk B650

PSU is Corsair RM1000e

Yesterday I left my PC in sleep mode and went out. There was a huge rain and power cut. I think there was a power surge too. When I came back home I noticed that the circuit breaker for my room had tripped. Initially I didn't think it was due to my PC. When I tried to switch it(circuit breaker) back it kept tripping. So I unplugged everything and started switching on one-by-one and it was due to my PC.

I tried plugging it in another room and circuit breaker of that room also tripped.
Disheartened, I took my PC to a local PC repair shop and unfortunately he didn't have a high watt power supply to test everything. He tried with a 500W PSU to test if at least the motherboard starts, of course that didn't work.

So I'm about to start my RMA battle and just hoping that the damage is limited to my PSU and mother board.

I wanted to know, what are the chances that the power cut (any maybe power surge) could cause this? Is there any thing I can do to avoid this (I know..I know turn off my PC before going out...any thing besides that?).

A power surge would absolutely do this. And the symptoms present sound like damage from a power surge.

Your board and psu are most likely dead, your cpu, ram, drives, GPU and such are probably fine but you will want to inspect the GPU power delivery for a blown fuse. They have little surface mount fuses around the pcie power connectors and the power pins of the slot.

Unplug your unprotected electronics during a storm. This was the norm for a very long time with older wiring and no surge protectors.

Or get a surge protector.

11 minutes ago, Sloppy2288 said:

I recently bought a PC and its just over a month old. Everything was working fine.

My build is AMD 7800 X3D - Sapphire Nitro + Radeon 7900 XTX

Mother board is MSI MAG Tomahawk B650

PSU is Corsair RM1000e

Yesterday I left my PC in sleep mode and went out. There was a huge rain and power cut. I think there was a power surge too. When I came back home I noticed that the circuit breaker for my room had tripped. Initially I didn't think it was due to my PC. When I tried to switch it(circuit breaker) back it kept tripping. So I unplugged everything and started switching on one-by-one and it was due to my PC.

I tried plugging it in another room and circuit breaker of that room also tripped.
Disheartened, I took my PC to a local PC repair shop and unfortunately he didn't have a high watt power supply to test everything. He tried with a 500W PSU to test if at least the motherboard starts, of course that didn't work.

So I'm about to start my RMA battle and just hoping that the damage is limited to my PSU and mother board.

I wanted to know, what are the chances that the power cut (any maybe power surge) could cause this? Is there any thing I can do to avoid this (I know..I know turn off my PC before going out...any thing besides that?).

Ooft,

Well at least you've narrowed down the culprit.

I would say the powering unexpectedly going off is unlikely to cause any issues except some data loss if the PC was on and doing something at the tome of the cut but if there was a surge when it came back on the that could definitely have damaged something.

Have you tried just changing the power cable? It could just be a burned fuse or melted wire that's causing the breaker to trip.

Do you have another PSU you can use to make sure nothing further down the line has been damaged???

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

Bedroom AV Setup - Yamaha WXC-50 - 2 x B&W CM1s - Rel Quake - LG OLED42C2.

Posted (edited)

Did the repair shop take the gpu out of the case and try with the igpu (which should work with 500W) ?

If yes then this points towards mobo.

I doubt two things died.

I was also thinking maybe blown fuse in the psu, and then I found this :

Capture d’écran (283).png

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

1 hour ago, ChrisLoudon said:

Do you have another PSU you can use to make sure nothing further down the line has been damaged???

No, I dont have any other PSUs to test.

My only option is to give all the components to respective service centers one by one and test them when I get them back.

59 minutes ago, leclod said:

Did the repair shop take the gpu out of the case and try with the igpu (which should work with 500W) ?

If yes then this points towards mobo.

I doubt two things died.

I was also thinking maybe blown fuse in the psu, and then I found this :

Capture d’écran (283).png

I already took out the GPU before taking it to the shop to prevent damage from moving the PC around.

He tested the mobo only with the cooler loosely mounted. None of the on board lights lit up.

1 hour ago, 8tg said:

but you will want to inspect the GPU power delivery for a blown fuse. They have little surface mount fuses around the pcie power connectors and the power pins of the slot.

Any reference video? I didn't get clear picture on how to do this.

4 minutes ago, Sloppy2288 said:

Any reference video? I didn't get clear picture on how to do this.

You’re looking for these

IMG_3282.thumb.jpeg.acbe17c75a0b6489ddda2f0cc79d4201.jpeg

if you see one that’s visibly damaged or burnt, it’s likely that it did its job and popped to save the card

it’s an easy soldering job to revive the card if it’s dead due to a fuse burning  

that’s if power got that far, there are other fused components ahead of this which can pop before the GPU fuses, there’s a good chance the psu dying saved the GPU as well