2600x overclock in 2024

At launch, many people argued that leaving the 2600X at default to boost up to 4.25Ghz on a few cores was the best option. Now, several years later, would it make sense to change to a 4.0Ghz overclock on all cores? Maybe games are utilizing more cores these days?

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

The final decision on whether to risk an OC as well as configuration settings will remain with you, and I will not attempt to influence it. I will instead respond to your second question: Yes, with the proliferation of high core count CPUs as well as octocore consoles most modern games are now capable of taking advantage of at least six cores and many of them eight.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

The only way to know for sure would be to test it in the games you play.

My guess would be that you would see mixed results. The all-core OC would likely perform better overall today than it did 6 years ago, but there are definitely games that are still primarily bound by the primary thread, and in those games, the CPU could perform worse.

Depending on the mix of games you play, the result could go either way.

8 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

The only way to know for sure would be to test it in the games you play.

My guess would be that you would see mixed results. The all-core OC would likely perform better overall today than it did 6 years ago, but there are definitely games that are still primarily bound by the primary thread, and in those games, the CPU could perform worse.

Depending on the mix of games you play, the result could go either way.

I switched from stock to 4Ghz at 1.29v. The system is a lot cooler and silent, because it removes the huge spikes to 1.45v that it does on default Auto.

I'm getting the exact same average FPS in the Skull and Bones benchmark.

Just curious because I don't remember anymore, how many cores can the XFR boost at the same time?

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows