Samsung DLP HDTV freezing

I have recently run into a bizarre issue with my Samsung HLR5667 DLP rear-projection HDTV that I have not been able to fix. This has been happening for over a year, on every video input from composite to HDMI. 
The TV completely freezes after being powered on for an hour or so. Image freezes, sound stops, all the lights turn off, and it will not respond to the power button being pressed. Lamp is on, colorwheel is still running, but it is completely unresponsive otherwise. Requires a full power cycle, after which it will work for another few minutes then freeze again in the same way. Only after being powered off for several hours will it work again for long enough to get through even half of a DVD. 

The lamp and colorwheel were both replaced about five years ago, after which it has seen rather light usage. 

Seeing as it freezes more frequently after it happens the first time, the issue seems to me like it would be temperature-related. I have done a full deep clean of the set, after which it seemed more reliable for a few weeks then went back to frequent failure.

I would love any guidance on what to do next - not only do I love this TV, but it'd be damn near impossible to get rid of if it is completely cooked. 

From researching a number of websites they claim that the light engine is going bad and needs replaced.

7 minutes ago, Thomas4 said:

From researching a number of websites they claim that the light engine is going bad and needs replaced.

The... huh? The lamp? The colorwheel? 

Could absolutely try replacing the lamp, I'd think it would at least give me a message if the lamp was reaching its expected EOL though.

The average cost of professional repair is somewhere around $300 - $400 US for parts and labor, this will give you the advantage of having everything checked if it was not the problem.

And due to the age of the TV and that the prices for a new unit aren't that much more you may want to look at replacements instead.

Almost seems like a mainboard issue if the sound is freezing too. Looks like its all one piece with the DMD, thats a lot of money if you don't have anyone around you that can properly diagnose it and perhaps fix it at a board level. There is another board but not much description on it.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

3 minutes ago, vetali said:

Almost seems like a mainboard issue if the sound is freezing too. Looks like its all one piece with the DMD, thats a lot of money if you don't have anyone around you that can properly diagnose it and perhaps fix it at a board level. There is another board but not much description on it.

Wouldn't be surprised if the DMD is socketed, that's how I've often seen them. DMD is not on the mainboard, either - the two boards are, in fact, connected together with a regular ol' DVI-I cable. Tried running a DVI signal straight to the DMD board but the TV didn't like that.

20 minutes ago, vetali said:

14 minutes ago, da na said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the DMD is socketed, that's how I've often seen them. DMD is not on the mainboard, either - the two boards are, in fact, connected together with a regular ol' DVI-I cable. Tried running a DVI signal straight to the DMD board but the TV didn't like that.

You're both right, I completely missed the sound issue, but I think he'd be better off buying a new TV than having it repaired as it would be more cost effective.

19 minutes ago, da na said:

Should be separate, I replaced mine before in my old hand me down TV. Just the thing kept having issues and parts kept getting more expensive as it became more obsolete. Sucks because DLPs are great image quality without the risk of burn in plasmas had. Replaced it with an OLED dreading burn in.... and got a dead pixel after a year lol. Can't win sometimes.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max