Editing PC Build, May 2024

Posted (edited)

Hi guys, long time watcher, new forum member. (I apologize in advance for the length, I'm trying to be thorough.)
Today I'm trying to crack the code on a solid long-term, multi-use, (but not insanely priced) workhorse PC.

NOTE: I've included all 3 of the potential GPU's on the parts list for reference I DO NOT plan on using 3 GPU's. (Lolll)
Build List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6rmQWt
Budget (including currency):
 Trying to keep it under $3500 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly AfterEffects + Video Copilot *(2.5D & 3D motion graphics & compositing). Also will be using Premier, Blender, Houdini as well as Photoshop, Illustrator, Character Animator. 

Other details: My main issue, other than being 10 years out-of-date on hardware knowledge, is that I'm getting pretty overwhelmed (as well as stressed) trying to figure out which parts to use to build a PC that is optimized for the type of work I'm doing...
Main hurdles: From what I've gleaned, AfterEffects is locked to a single core (so single core speed is vital). Rendering is mainly done via the CPU as opposed to the GPU. So now I'm trying to figure out where to draw the line on the GPU (not waste money getting a card that is overkill for what I do). It's also very important that the PC is able to run multiple instances of these heavy programs *(I would like to be able to run Photoshop, AfterEffects & Chrome at the same time without locking up - hence the 128gb of the fastest RAM I can use without potential issues).

Also apparently memory bandwidth is a vital stat for GPU's in relation to it's editing performance, which leaves me torn between saving a bit of money on the GPU by getting a 3060 12GB for $300, or jumping up into the $800 range & getting a higher end gaming GPU like the 4070ti super, or a workstation GPU like the RTX 5000. *(I can grab a 4070ti for around the same price as the RTX 5000).

I'm open to changing anything, but prefer to stick with Intel / Nvidia as it's what I've always used & they work with Adobe to optimize drivers for their software. 

Thank you in advance for your time, I appreciate any tips / advice.
Mr_E.

PR_Raw.png

AE_Raw.png

Edited by Mr_Enigmatic
*edit to add the pugetbench info & change around the wording to be less of a mess. | edit 2 to add non-private PPP list

I'm leaning towards likely upgrading to one of the AIO water coolers.

Thanks again guys.

36 minutes ago, Mr_Enigmatic said:

Link is private.

37 minutes ago, Mr_Enigmatic said:

Main hurdles: From what I've gleaned, AfterEffects is locked to a single core (so single core speed is vital). Rendering is mainly done via the CPU as opposed to the GPU. So now I'm trying to figure out where to draw the line on the GPU (not waste money getting a card that is overkill for what I do). It's also very important that the PC is able to run multiple instances of these heavy programs *(I would like to be able to run Photoshop, AfterEffects & Chrome at the same time without locking up - hence the 128gb of the fastest RAM I can use without potential issues).

They added multicore rendering a few releases a go, so it will use more than one core. Fast ST performance is still nice to have.

38 minutes ago, Mr_Enigmatic said:

Also apparently memory bandwidth is a vital stat for GPU's in relation to it's editing performance, which leaves me torn between saving a bit of money on the GPU by getting a 3060 12GB for $300, or jumping up into the $800 range & getting a higher end gaming GPU like the 4070ti super, or a workstation GPU like the RTX 5000. *(I can grab a 4070ti for around the same price as the RTX 5000).

Memory bandwdith is nice, but as you can see from the benchmarks there is much more than memory bandwidth. I'd keep away from the Quadro(or what was called Quadro) cards as the RTX 5000 is a RTX 2xxx era card on the desktop and there are have been many advances in the last 2 generations. I'd only go quadro for editing if your using a specific quadro feature typically.

1 hour ago, Mr_Enigmatic said:

Hi guys, long time watcher, new forum member. (I apologize in advance for the length, I'm trying to be thorough.)
Today I'm trying to crack the code on a solid long-term, multi-use, (but not insanely priced) workhorse PC.

NOTE: I've included all 3 of the potential GPU's on the parts list for reference I DO NOT plan on using 3 GPU's. (Lolll)
Build List: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Mr_Enigmatic/saved/7f3jWZ 
Budget (including currency):
 Trying to keep it under $3500 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly AfterEffects + Video Copilot *(2.5D & 3D motion graphics & compositing). Also will be using Premier, Blender, Houdini as well as Photoshop, Illustrator, Character Animator. 

Other details: My main issue, other than being 10 years out-of-date on hardware knowledge, is that I'm getting pretty overwhelmed (as well as stressed) trying to figure out which parts to use to build a PC that is optimized for the type of work I'm doing...

I'm open to changing anything, but prefer to stick with Intel / Nvidia as it's what I've always used & they work with Adobe to optimize drivers for their software. 

Thank you in advance for your time, I appreciate any tips / advice.
Mr_E.

PR_Raw.png

AE_Raw.png

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor  ($557.96 @ shopRBC) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($179.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-A WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($299.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($394.99 @ Memory Express) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($209.99 @ Best Buy Canada) 
Video Card: Zotac GAMING Trinity GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB Video Card  ($1068.50 @ Vuugo) 
Case: Montech AIR 903 MAX ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: Deepcool PX1000G 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($159.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Total: $2971.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-22 16:37 EDT-0400

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Link is private.

They added multicore rendering a few releases a go, so it will use more than one core. Fast ST performance is still nice to have.

Memory bandwdith is nice, but as you can see from the benchmarks there is much more than memory bandwidth. I'd keep away from the Quadro(or what was called Quadro) cards as the RTX 5000 is a RTX 2xxx era card on the desktop and there are have been many advances in the last 2 generations. I'd only go quadro for editing if your using a specific quadro feature typically.

Sorry about that, I've updated it to be non-private
Also, thank you for the input.

1 hour ago, filpo said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor  ($557.96 @ shopRBC) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($179.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-A WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($299.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($394.99 @ Memory Express) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($209.99 @ Best Buy Canada) 
Video Card: Zotac GAMING Trinity GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB Video Card  ($1068.50 @ Vuugo) 
Case: Montech AIR 903 MAX ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: Deepcool PX1000G 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($159.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Total: $2971.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-22 16:37 EDT-0400

I was thinking of going with the last i7 as well (had it on my cheaper build), but I plan on using this PC for years & would like to spend a little more to put off upgrading longer.

3 hours ago, Mr_Enigmatic said:

The i9-14900KS isn't really worth the price premium.

An NH-U12A will be hard pressed to cool the CPU at full load.

Using multiple memory kits, even the same part number, may result in instability.

The memory kit is not on the motherboard memory QVL.

Current releases of After Effects can use the the GPU to accelerate rend|ING of some effects, see https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/after-effects/using/effect-list.html#GPUacceleratedeffects

Consider a high airflow case. They can result in quieter systems.

I'd suggest an ATX 3.0 compliant PSU with native support for the 12VHPWR connector used by the GPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K 3.2 GHz 24-Core Processor ($541.00 @ Newegg) 

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($116.99 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard: MSI MEG Z790 ACE EATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($469.99 @ Amazon) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 192 GB (4 x 48 GB) DDR5-5200 CL38 Memory ($629.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($110.89 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($110.89 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.97 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($829.99 @ Amazon) 

Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL ATX Full Tower Case ($154.99 @ B&H) 

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX-1000 ATX 3.0 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $3269.69

Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-22 18:50 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, brob said:

The i9-14900KS isn't really worth the price premium.

An NH-U12A will be hard pressed to cool the CPU at full load.

Using multiple memory kits, even the same part number, may result in instability.

The memory kit is not on the motherboard memory QVL.

Current releases of After Effects can use the the GPU to accelerate rend|ING of some effects, see https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/after-effects/using/effect-list.html#GPUacceleratedeffects

Consider a high airflow case. They can result in quieter systems.

I'd suggest an ATX 3.0 compliant PSU with native support for the 12VHPWR connector used by the GPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K 3.2 GHz 24-Core Processor ($541.00 @ Newegg) 

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($116.99 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard: MSI MEG Z790 ACE EATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($469.99 @ Amazon) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 192 GB (4 x 48 GB) DDR5-5200 CL38 Memory ($629.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.97 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($829.99 @ Amazon) 

Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL ATX Full Tower Case ($154.99 @ B&H) 

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX-1000 ATX 3.0 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $3269.69

Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-22 18:50 EDT-0400

Thank you very much for the input. I'll definitely upgrade to the AIO Liquid Cooler.
Thanks for the heads up on the memory / QVL issues as well.
I was looking at the Meshify & was hoping *(after reading several reviews) that I could use the more professional looking / quieter Define 7 XL & just open the front door when the machine is doing it's hardest work - which would likely be while rendering.

Again, thank you very much. I'm FAR more of a designer than a PC hardware guy & I've been pulling my hair out over this *(I hate spending money).

One more question, do you think the GPU is overkill for what I'm doing?
(I ask because I was seeing plenty of editing builds with i9-13900k + 3060ti 12gb setup) 

13 minutes ago, Mr_Enigmatic said:

One more question, do you think the GPU is overkill for what I'm doing?

No.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.