Multiple radiator configuration

I've started ordering bits for my first custom loop build, I'm upgrading from a 360mm AIO that can handle my CPU stock, but not once I start increasing clocks. I've got the block, pump, res, tubing and some fittings sorted, but I'm looking at option for the radiators. I've got a 7000D airflow case, so I have space for 2 420mm rads and a 480mm rad. Currently I have the AIO on the top exhausting, and then 3x140mm fans on the front and 4x120mm fans on the side for intake. This keeps positive pressure in the case to keep the dust out, and my machine is sat on a carpet floor, so that is a concern (the psu is installed upside down to pull 'cool' air in from the case, rather than trying to suck carpet up from underneath). The "obvious" option to me, was to replace the AIO rad with a 420mm rad exhausting and the front setup with another 420mm rad set to suck air in, that would keep the airflow in the case up to keep the dust out, and allow the 4x120mm fans to still suck in cold air for the GPU, network card, drives etc. I'm not planning on including the GPU in the loop yet as I have my old 3080ti in there still, once I upgrade I will reassess.

I'm looking for suggestions on radiator options and positions, another option would be to have the top with just 3x140mm fans exhausting and put a 420 and a 480 rad in the front and side sucking air in, but then there is no cool air entering the case. Is having a rad at the top exhausting and then 1 rad intake on the front with the other section pulling in cold air so at least there is a mix, that terrible an idea?

I'd be grateful for any advice for multi radiator setups. Thanks.

Yeah they wont reduce your thermals on a 13900k/14900k by all that much. A 360 AIO vs a full Custom loop, its only a few degrees with that type of cpu. The block/Direct die impacts performance way more at that point since going from a 360MM rad to a multi 420 isnt going to impact it all that much.

What it will do is give you a bit more wiggle room for fan speeds, but again when you put it under a full load that spikes those temps up, there really isnt much of a non LN2 cooling solution that tames those thermals. Tuning the voltage gives you a massive thermal change.

In terms of what you can do for order, I generally do Front and top intake, back exhaust. The thermals inside wont really be affected as long as there is not a dead zone.

Generally id say stick to one big rad, gives you room for if you want to do a 5080/5090, but if they are anything like the 4000 series, they wont need to be watercooled.

21 minutes ago, Endolf said:

I've started ordering bits for my first custom loop build, I'm upgrading from a 360mm AIO that can handle my CPU stock, but not once I start increasing clocks. I've got the block, pump, res, tubing and some fittings sorted, but I'm looking at option for the radiators. I've got a 7000D airflow case, so I have space for 2 420mm rads and a 480mm rad. Currently I have the AIO on the top exhausting, and then 3x140mm fans on the front and 4x120mm fans on the side for intake. This keeps positive pressure in the case to keep the dust out, and my machine is sat on a carpet floor, so that is a concern (the psu is installed upside down to pull 'cool' air in from the case, rather than trying to suck carpet up from underneath). The "obvious" option to me, was to replace the AIO rad with a 420mm rad exhausting and the front setup with another 420mm rad set to suck air in, that would keep the airflow in the case up to keep the dust out, and allow the 4x120mm fans to still suck in cold air for the GPU, network card, drives etc. I'm not planning on including the GPU in the loop yet as I have my old 3080ti in there still, once I upgrade I will reassess.

I'm looking for suggestions on radiator options and positions, another option would be to have the top with just 3x140mm fans exhausting and put a 420 and a 480 rad in the front and side sucking air in, but then there is no cool air entering the case. Is having a rad at the top exhausting and then 1 rad intake on the front with the other section pulling in cold air so at least there is a mix, that terrible an idea?

I'd be grateful for any advice for multi radiator setups. Thanks.

You'll gain a few C less with a second rad, but nothing amazing 

I'd rather put the new rad on the side, to keep a better airflow for the GPU 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

I'm trying to cool a 7970x, I've got all core -45 on the voltage set already, which certainly helps, although with the AIO, it gets me to a point where the all core boost can be sustained, but not much more.

13 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

You'll gain a few C less with a second rad, but nothing amazing 

I'd rather put the new rad on the side, to keep a better airflow for the GPU 

So have a 420mm rad on the roof exhausting, and a 480 down the side (intake or exhaust?), with 3x140mm fans on the front sucking in air and the 140 on the rear exhausting for the other components?

11 minutes ago, Endolf said:

So have a 420mm rad on the roof exhausting, and a 480 down the side (intake or exhaust?), with 3x140mm fans on the front sucking in air and the 140 on the rear exhausting for the other components?

Not sure, have to test

I 'd try

top exhaust front & side intake

top intake front intake side exhaust (front air will go sideways)

Rear exhaust anyway

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones