Seeking Advice: CPU Overheating Issues with Ryzen 7 5800X and MasterAir MA410P Cooler

moondogkill

Hello everyone,I'm currently experiencing some overheating issues with my PC and could really use some advice on how to handle it.

Here’s a quick rundown of my setup and the problem I'm facing:

System Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

Cooler: Cooler Master MasterAir MA410P

GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070

RAM: 32GB DDR4 at 3200MHz

Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4

Case: Kolink Observatory Lite Mesh ATX Mid Tower

Problem: While gaming, my CPU temperatures spike up to 90°C, which seems excessively high. I've noticed that my current cooler setup only allows for the cooler to push air upwards rather than towards the rear exhaust, which might be contributing to the problem. Despite attempting to reorient the cooler, I’ve had no luck; it seems to be a limitation due to the motherboard and case configuration.

Questions:

Is pushing air upwards significantly less efficient, and could this be why my temperatures are so high?

Are there specific coolers you would recommend that might fit better with my motherboard and case, preferably those known for easier orientation adjustments or more efficient cooling?

Would switching to an AIO liquid cooler provide a more flexible solution given my case and motherboard layout?

Any general tips for improving airflow or reducing temperatures in this specific case model?

I appreciate any insights or suggestions you can offer! Thanks in advance for your help.

With the fan the other way it is more likely to suck in your GPU's heat, but it shouldn't make it that hot. Unless your GPU is boiling hot too?

1 hour ago, moondogkill said:

Hello everyone,I'm currently experiencing some overheating issues with my PC and could really use some advice on how to handle it.

System Specs:

Problem: While gaming, my CPU temperatures spike up to 90°C, which seems excessively high. I've noticed that my current cooler setup only allows for the cooler to push air upwards rather than towards the rear exhaust, which might be contributing to the problem. Despite attempting to reorient the cooler, I’ve had no luck; it seems to be a limitation due to the motherboard and case configuration.

Questions:

Is pushing air upwards significantly less efficient, and could this be why my temperatures are so high?

Are there specific coolers you would recommend that might fit better with my motherboard and case, preferably those known for easier orientation adjustments or more efficient cooling?

Would switching to an AIO liquid cooler provide a more flexible solution given my case and motherboard layout?

Any general tips for improving airflow or reducing temperatures in this specific case model?

I appreciate any insights or suggestions you can offer! Thanks in advance for your help.

Thermalright phantom spirit is your best bet if youre looking to purchase a new cooler, its a super cheap cooler with top tier performance

A top exhaust fan would also help by exhausting some of that hot air straight out of the case

Do you have any pictures of the setup?

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

1 hour ago, moondogkill said:

System Specs:

Questions:

The cooler doesn't look that great, especially the fan seems weak

You could try slapping some good fan (cheap Arctic P12, or a more expensive Noctua or BQ SW) to better push air out, or even using 2 fans 

Or get a better cooler like the TR PS120 or PA120, $35ish

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Hello Everyone, here is a photo of what it looks like

image.jpeg.8c50ed6f5fd25bb3abe81db709ff8a0f.jpeg

I can get another cooloer if that is what is needed. The way this is set up is the cooler cannot be rotated cause of the motherboard and RAM.

I was thinking on getting a NOCTUA NH-U12S REDUX if that would work. I can get a cheaper cooler as well I don't mind like a NZXT T120

9 minutes ago, moondogkill said:

Hello Everyone, here is a photo of what it looks like

image.jpeg.8c50ed6f5fd25bb3abe81db709ff8a0f.jpeg

I can get another cooloer if that is what is needed. The way this is set up is the cooler cannot be rotated cause of the motherboard and RAM.

I was thinking on getting a NOCTUA NH-U12S REDUX if that would work. I can get a cheaper cooler as well I don't mind like a NZXT T120

Noctua are very overpriced for their performance, a phantom spirit performs as well or better and is 1/3 the cost. You can also move, remove or put the front fan on the back perfectly fine. Thermalright also do single tower coolers that might appeal to you, the Ultra 120EX or Burst assassin are single tower 6 heatpipe coolers

System specs:

Thank you for that I am looking at those coolers right now. My biggest concern is the orientation, I need so that fan pushes air out the back and not the top.

45 minutes ago, moondogkill said:

Thank you for that I am looking at those coolers right now. My biggest concern is the orientation, I need so that fan pushes air out the back and not the top.

All of these coolers should be fine orientation wise, the good thing about thermal right is they have dimensional drawings for all their coolers on their respective pages so you should be able to check for yourself if they will fit

System specs:

On 4/23/2024 at 2:09 AM, moondogkill said:

System Specs:

Questions:

Try this:

Add another fan to the cooler and/or one above it mounted to the top. Remove the dust filter on top. With all 3 fans blowing upwards, you should see an improvement, especially if you choose strong fans. 

Replacing a single tower, single fan cooler with another really isn't going to be productive unless there is a large difference in the mass and the performance of the fans.  So, instead of buying a Noctua, just add fans per above. 

Edited by RevGAM
Noctua

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂