Jump to content

Ryzen 7600x Idle temp issues

JanS0lo

Hi community. Recently built myself a new computer, the specs are as follows (I reused a few parts from my old pc to save money: PSU, SSD1, 2 top 140m case fans (currently blowing in to the case, so only 1 rear 120mm exhaust):

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600x
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black

MOBO: MSI B650M Gaming Plus Wifi (MS-7E24)
GPU: PNY RTX 4070 12GB

SSD1: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

SSD2: Crucial P3 2TB M.2 NVMe

PSU: Corsair RM750i

Case: ASUS Prime AP201 Tempered Glass Panel version.

 

I am currently just using my browser and OneNote for some study, the CPU sits around 70 degrees, with utilization around 25%. The CPU fan on the cooler is running at 50% speed. Images attached. My top right and top left 140mm fans are at 50% speed (1050 RPM). XMP and EXPO are NOT on. there are no CPU boost settings enabled in BIOS.

Does this seem normal? I have no idea what temps are normal with this chip, I have heard it tends to run hot, but 70 deg at 25% utilization? before someone comments on top being intake, I had them as exhaust but am getting better temps with them as intake. Is my cooler just not powerful enough? 

 

Follow up question, if it is just a cooler issue, I think I want to get the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 240mm AIO as it seems to have good reviews from what I've seen on youtube, thoughts on this cooler, will an AIO like this get me better temps than my current air cooler, I assume so, just wanna check my assumptions?
 

Screenshot 2024-04-23 144301.png

Screenshot 2024-04-23 144222.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JanS0lo said:

Hi community. Recently built myself a new computer, the specs are as follows (I reused a few parts from my old pc to save money: PSU, SSD1, 2 top 140m case fans (currently blowing in to the case, so only 1 rear 120mm exhaust):

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600x
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black

MOBO: MSI B650M Gaming Plus Wifi (MS-7E24)
GPU: PNY RTX 4070 12GB

SSD1: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

SSD2: Crucial P3 2TB M.2 NVMe

PSU: Corsair RM750i

Case: ASUS Prime AP201 Tempered Glass Panel version.

 

I am currently just using my browser and OneNote for some study, the CPU sits around 70 degrees, with utilization around 25%. The CPU fan on the cooler is running at 50% speed. Images attached. My top right and top left 140mm fans are at 50% speed (1050 RPM). XMP and EXPO are NOT on. there are no CPU boost settings enabled in BIOS.

Does this seem normal? I have no idea what temps are normal with this chip, I have heard it tends to run hot, but 70 deg at 25% utilization? before someone comments on top being intake, I had them as exhaust but am getting better temps with them as intake. Is my cooler just not powerful enough? 

 

Follow up question, if it is just a cooler issue, I think I want to get the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 240mm AIO as it seems to have good reviews from what I've seen on youtube, thoughts on this cooler, will an AIO like this get me better temps than my current air cooler, I assume so, just wanna check my assumptions?
 

Screenshot 2024-04-23 144301.png

Screenshot 2024-04-23 144222.png

Its likely that 28% means at least one core is at 100% and its going to report the temperature of the hottest core.

 

In Task Manager, Right click on the CPU graph and go to Change graph to - Logical processors.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Use a program such as HWInfo64 to see more precise temperature readings. You might need to repaste your CPU, or you may have mounted the cooler wrong.

Apprentice Software Developer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its likely that 28% means at least one core is at 100% and its going to report the temperature of the hottest core.

 

In Task Manager, Right click on the CPU graph and go to Change graph to - Logical processors.

okay so I haven't really changed anything, but I noted my cpu is running at 5.3ghz! that seems far too high. I havent tried overclocking and all the bios settings are default! I dont think I have any programs that should be making it run that fast

Screenshot 2024-04-23 171518.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, JanS0lo said:

okay so I haven't really changed anything, but I noted my cpu is running at 5.3ghz! that seems far too high. I havent tried overclocking and all the bios settings are default! I dont think I have any programs that should be making it run that fast

Screenshot 2024-04-23 171518.png

5.3GHz is perfectly fine, though the 212 might be a little under powered for the 7600X, hence the higher temps, but if under load the highest youre seeing is 72C thats more than fine, you could also set your own fan curve to be a little more aggressive if you dont mind the added sound

 

image.png.ac8b6d3d25b3147981c35df5aca9898a.png

System specs:

 

 

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

 

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another follow up. I turned off virtualisation and svm and reinstalled all my cpu drivers, that seemed to help a lot. Temps down to 50s idling now

 

I am getting a power issue occasionally though. This has happened before but I thought it was fixed. I power on the PC and it  powers off in a fraction of a second. I turn off the PSU and unplug the cord for a bit and wait. Then it turns back on all okay. Seems to happen after putting the computer to sleep. Any ideas? I guess just avoid putting my computer to sleep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×