Could I have some suggestions for Arduino C++ hardware?

Notquitedead

I'm working on completely rebuilding my cars cruise control because it rides really hot, and I was wondering if I could use any Arduino input devices to directly pull RPM, speed, etc... Any suggestions?

I wonder how many children search for Mr Beast

And find a meat canyon video

You can read this data out of the CAN bus. Easy way would be through the OBD protocol, otherwise you can try to manually read the CAN stuff for more real-time info.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, igormp said:

You can read this data out of the CAN bus. Easy way would be through the OBD protocol, otherwise you can try to manually read the CAN stuff for more real-time info.

Alright alright! Thank you! And anything you could think of for output to acceleration/braking? Probably whatever is stock in the car and custom set smth up?

(edit)

I'd probably have to go low level to build in one of the cars outputs, yeah?

Edited by Notquitedead

37 minutes ago, Notquitedead said:

Alright alright! Thank you! And anything you could think of for output to acceleration/braking? Probably whatever is stock in the car and custom set smth up?

(edit)

I'd probably have to go low level to build in one of the cars outputs, yeah?

Reading stuff from the OBD is pretty easy, and you can also find the acceleration/braking in there. Take a look at the Wikipedia page for OBD II so you can see the available data. 

You can read that kind of stuff pretty easily with any cheap scanner through Bluetooth or serial, and the rest would be up to you. 

If you want to do CAN, it's a bit more involved and likely lower level, yes. 

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

3 hours ago, Notquitedead said:

Im working on completely rebuilding my cars cruise control because it rides really hot, and I was wondering if I could use any Arduino [...]

No.

This sounds like classic functional safety and Arduino isn't suitable for functional safety.

People never go out of business.

5 hours ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

No.

This sounds like classic functional safety and Arduino isn't suitable for functional safety.

it'd be tested in safe environments until I'm positive it works.

9 hours ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

Wdym? The AVR in most arduinos is also widely used in the automotive industry.

If you're talking about the code itself, I doubt OP is going to code anything AUTOSAR-grade no matter the platform lol

Lenovo N23 Yoga

@igormp Functional safety goes from documentation all the way to the hardware.

The Arduino ecosystem/framework doesn't meet the requirements as such it can't be used even if the hardware and documentation would be appropriate.

8 hours ago, Notquitedead said:

it'd be tested in safe environments until I'm positive it works.

Are you located in country with no regulation and no MOT/vehicle inspection?

45 minutes ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

Functional safety goes from documentation all the way to the hardware.

The Arduino ecosystem/framework doesn't meet the requirements as such it can't be used even if the hardware and documentation would be appropriate.

Again, a person doing a hobby project wouldn't meet those requirements no matter what, be it using arduino or any other platform, so that point you're making is moot.

45 minutes ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

Are you located in country with no regulation and no MOT/vehicle inspection?

In tons of places outside of the EU you can customize that kind of stuff without needing to do any kind of inspection lol

Lenovo N23 Yoga

@igormp Cruse control directly interferes with the vehicle speed and breaks. This is kind of important to not screw up and with some Arduino platform packages I experienced noticeable bugs in the past that could have hurt or killed somebody if combined with a car suddenly accelerating or going all in on the breaks.

There are just way better options on the market. To provide two examples: Zephyr and RT-Thread