No display port on my laptop

stevvenson
Go to solution Solved by Agall,
31 minutes ago, stevvenson said:

I have an MSI raider laptop with a 3080 ti and I want to buy a 2k monitor to take full advantage of it, while I was looking for monitors I discovered that the monitors don't let you use the full frame rate if you don't have display port and my laptop only has HDMI and USB c ports. Can I get an adapter and does it introduce any lag or issues to the performance?

Type-c with DP passthrough is almost always wired to the dGPU. You'd get either a type-c to DP (passthrough) adapter or an internally adapted cable if you want it to look cleaner.  Its basically a DP port wired through type-c, so there's no loss.

I personally have used these on laptops, Steam Deck, and even on dGPUs like the RX 6900 XT.

I have an MSI raider laptop with a 3080 ti and I want to buy a 2k monitor to take full advantage of it, while I was looking for monitors I discovered that the monitors don't let you use the full frame rate if you don't have display port and my laptop only has HDMI and USB c ports. Can I get an adapter and does it introduce any lag or issues to the performance?

12 minutes ago, stevvenson said:

You can get a type c to DP, and it shouldn't introduce any extra latency than a standard cable*. The type c is using dp-alt mode(or tb3/4 if Intel), which means 1.4, the standard on any Nvidia card currently(correct me if I'm wrong).

Have done it on my 3050ti and it works seamlessly. 

*There might be a few extra ms of latency, but you'd need an LDAT to be able to quantify it.

31 minutes ago, stevvenson said:

Type-c with DP passthrough is almost always wired to the dGPU. You'd get either a type-c to DP (passthrough) adapter or an internally adapted cable if you want it to look cleaner.  Its basically a DP port wired through type-c, so there's no loss.

I personally have used these on laptops, Steam Deck, and even on dGPUs like the RX 6900 XT.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

46 minutes ago, stevvenson said:

I have an MSI raider laptop with a 3080 ti and I want to buy a 2k monitor to take full advantage of it

Don't say 2K.

Depending on the person it could mean 1920x1080 (correct) or it could mean 2560x1440 (wrong)

3160x2160 is 4K so naturally 1920x1080 should be 2K

5120x2880 is 5K so naturally 2560x1440 should be 2.5K

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |