RTX 3060 high temps

gotopepik

Hi! My almost 2 year Gigabyte rtx 3060 12gb (2 vents) for as long as I remember reaches temps as high as 88 Celsius and hot stop as high as 105 C. I’ve seen that same gpu in diffrent tests reaches maximum 88 Celsius on hot spot. My warranty is valid for another year. Should I consider changing thermo pads and paste or leave it tilll the end of warranty? Removing side panels from my case doesn’t change anything. I can’t afford sending it for warranty, because I have cpu without gpu and I need a pc.

7 minutes ago, gotopepik said:

Hi! My almost 2 year Gigabyte rtx 3060 12gb (2 vents) for as long as I remember reaches temps as high as 88 Celsius and hot stop as high as 105 C. I’ve seen that same gpu in diffrent tests reaches maximum 88 Celsius on hot spot. My warranty is valid for another year. Should I consider changing thermo pads and paste or leave it tilll the end of warranty? Removing side panels from my case doesn’t change anything. I can’t afford sending it for warranty, because I have cpu without gpu and I need a pc.

Hello, you could change the thermo pads and paste if you're comfortable with it. Otherwise you could send it in for RMA

14 minutes ago, gotopepik said:

Do both fans spin? And spin up to a decent RPM as a lot of cards are capped at like 50% RPM? You could also RMA the card for cooling issues so you dont void your warranty by doing it yourself

Ik you said about the side panel but how is your GPU set up in your case? Airflow etc as this will affect the cooling beyond the initially issue being fixed

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

1 hour ago, TatamiMatt said:

Do both fans spin? And spin up to a decent RPM as a lot of cards are capped at like 50% RPM? You could also RMA the card for cooling issues so you dont void your warranty by doing it yourself

Ik you said about the side panel but how is your GPU set up in your case? Airflow etc as this will affect the cooling beyond the initially issue being fixed

Yes, while playing gpu heavy like cyberpunk both fans spin around 2000 rpms. This gpu have some weird feature that from time to time when temp. go above 88 I think, they ramp up to around 2800 rpm for like 2 sec and go back to 2000. Airflow isn't an issue, card is placed in the top slot, so it isn't blocked by psu cover and i have water AIO for cpu sitting around 50 Celsius. I can exchange the thermal paste and etc. myself, but is it worth it? The card doesn't seem to thermal throttle or anything even on this 105 C on hot spot.

25 minutes ago, gotopepik said:

Yes, while playing gpu heavy like cyberpunk both fans spin around 2000 rpms. This gpu have some weird feature that from time to time when temp. go above 88 I think, they ramp up to around 2800 rpm for like 2 sec and go back to 2000. Airflow isn't an issue, card is placed in the top slot, so it isn't blocked by psu cover and i have water AIO for cpu sitting around 50 Celsius. I can exchange the thermal paste and etc. myself, but is it worth it? The card doesn't seem to thermal throttle or anything even on this 105 C on hot spot.

Could put a slightly more aggressive fan curve on it yourself, most gpu fans can spin up to around 3000rpm, where is your AIO placed as it could be feeding the GPU hot air hence the sub par cooling, it might be worth it to change it to top exhaust for example, while it can be a slight downgrade to cpu temps, it could improve your GPU temps, and if your GPU is the issue then thats a mostly positive direction. Say if you have 2500rpm at 85C or something it should (hopefully) help keep it under the 100C mark

System specs:

5 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Could put a slightly more aggressive fan curve on it yourself, most gpu fans can spin up to around 3000rpm, where is your AIO placed as it could be feeding the GPU hot air hence the sub par cooling, it might be worth it to change it to top exhaust for example, while it can be a slight downgrade to cpu temps, it could improve your GPU temps, and if your GPU is the issue then thats a mostly positive direction. Say if you have 2500rpm at 85C or something it should (hopefully) help keep it under the 100C mark

Setting them manually to 100% sets them to 2000/ RPM. My AiO is set as top exhaust.

1 hour ago, gotopepik said:

Setting them manually to 100% sets them to 2000/ RPM. My AiO is set as top exhaust.

oh interesting, what 3060 is it youre running? My old 3060 was running 3000rpm fans

Im not sure what else to do then, maybe an undervolt?

What voltages are you pulling under full load?

System specs:

3 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

oh interesting, what 3060 is it youre running? My old 3060 was running 3000rpm fans

Im not sure what else to do then, maybe an undervolt?

What voltages are you pulling under full load?

I'm using GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3060 Eagle OC LHR 12GB, even in the gigabyte app i can't set fans to more than 2000/21000 rpm.

1 minute ago, gotopepik said:

I'm using GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3060 Eagle OC LHR 12GB, even in the gigabyte app i can't set fans to more than 2000/21000 rpm.

I was running the gaming OC 12gb so quite similar but it was a 3 fan card

Try running an undervolt on that then, might net you some better temps

System specs:

image.png.c7a4f928bae7f988c8210cdf2f6a6f3c.png
That's the GPU temps and etc. after running some benchmarks in RDR2. Hot spot constantly around 105 C and  temp around 85-87 C. I've never done undervolting the gpu, only the cpu. Do you have any tutorial or can you explain how to undervolt it correctly?

10 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

I was running the gaming OC 12gb so quite similar but it was a 3 fan card

Try running an undervolt on that then, might net you some better temps

6 hours ago, gotopepik said:

image.png.c7a4f928bae7f988c8210cdf2f6a6f3c.png
That's the GPU temps and etc. after running some benchmarks in RDR2. Hot spot constantly around 105 C and  temp around 85-87 C. I've never done undervolting the gpu, only the cpu. Do you have any tutorial or can you explain how to undervolt it correctly?

MSI afterburner would probably be your best bet, i think there is just a voltage offset or setting, drop it by 25mV or so and retest, repeat until unstable, though i will say sustained synthetic loads are more stable than the various types and intensities of loading you can do in games, i was able to run a gpu test (unigine heaven maybe? i forget rn) at something ridiculous like 880/900mV, whereas cyberpunk wouldnt even boot unless i was at 1050mV

System specs: