Motherboard (ROG STRIX B760-I GAMING WIFI) compatibility with latest Linux distros

Go to solution Solved by tom3f,

Hello so I can happily report that it works just fine with Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.

Sound: Works (Tested Line out for headphones)

Wifi: Works (I see low link speed only around 250Mb/s sometime jumps to 750Mb/s, router is capable of 867 Mbit/s)

Bluetooth: Works (tried bluetooth mouse)

Ethernet: Works (tried 1 gigabit)

iGPU: Works great

Overall performance is good, lm-sensors can recognize temperatures

Hello, I would like to build new PC as my Pentium G4500 has not enough performance. Since I am Linux only user I need new hardware to be compatible with at least latest distributions. My primary use-case is programming, virtualization, docker and similar.  I am not interested in overclocking or gaming.

Does anybody have experience with this motherboard ?

ROG STRIX B760-I GAMING WIFI https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b760-i-gaming-wifi-model/

Together with:

• CPU: i5-14500
  • Memory: Kingston FURY 32GB KIT DDR5 4800MHz CL38 Beast Black (KF548C38BBK2-32)
  • SSD: WD BLACK SN850X NVMe 1 TB

I need at least LAN, SoundCard, USB and USB-C ports, Integrated GPU, M2 ssd to work perfectly with no performance penalty.

Wifi and bluetooth is not needed but it would be nice if it works too. Until now I only found single compatibility report online which was not great but it was more than six months old. I will be using only latest linux so I need compatibility with Ubuntu 24.04 LTS or Fedora 40 and newer. Can anybody help me figure out if this motherboard will work ?

Thank you.

Your motherboard is fine. Linux has a wide support of drivers more than windows does. Just make sure to install regardless of your distro the nvidia proprietary driver if you have one.

8 hours ago, goatedpenguin said:

Your motherboard is fine. Linux has a wide support of drivers more than windows does. Just make sure to install regardless of your distro the nvidia proprietary driver if you have one.

Well, from years of experience i can tell that linux has really good support of hardware but especially it lacks behind with latest hardware, since it always take a time for community to catch up. And this board has latest chipset, latest generation of CPU etc.

2 minutes ago, tom3f said:

Well, from years of experience i can tell that linux has really good support of hardware but especially it lacks behind with latest hardware, since it always take a time for community to catch up. And this board has latest chipset, latest generation of CPU etc.

Many people are using the same chipset as you with no problems.

14 hours ago, goatedpenguin said:

Many people are using the same chipset as you with no problems.

Yeah, 760's have been in since before 6.2, we are at 6.8 now, you'll be fine.

thanks for both responses

Hello so I can happily report that it works just fine with Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.

Sound: Works (Tested Line out for headphones)

Wifi: Works (I see low link speed only around 250Mb/s sometime jumps to 750Mb/s, router is capable of 867 Mbit/s)

Bluetooth: Works (tried bluetooth mouse)

Ethernet: Works (tried 1 gigabit)

iGPU: Works great

Overall performance is good, lm-sensors can recognize temperatures